Pioneers of goa trance

radi6404

Funny if it was a creepy 62 year old trance fetishist :ph34r: (yes I'm skeptical)

but if said member (SP) is indeed the real deal, awesome, welcome Si! :)

pioneers.... I would add Space tribe to that list, his sound was so different (based on what I've heard) in that time (ie: 1996),

also i would agree that Juno Reactor were pioneers, but also koxbox, though maybe later on when "the great unknown" came out. probably my very favourite psy album, hands down. mostly because of how it stood out from the doof-a-dang-a that was just starting out ;)

i would have to go with Juno Reactor and X-Dream. It is my opinion that these 2 really got the ball rolling in 1993. I guess there was stuff before and after that helped the scene... but i can't imagine what the trance world would be like had they never made music.

This review may be of interest :)

Concept In Dance 1 - Digital Alchemy (1994)

The short introduction by Oakenfold is quite interesting. His last words should be meditated by all the "purists" of the Psytrance sound IMHO:

The Goa sound spreads and where better to experience the feel and attitude of this truly magical place than on this album, which brings together some of the finest exponents of the sound at the moment. It’s a wonderful package which aims to break all barriers.

• 9 years later...

No one mentioned Blue Planet Corporation.

dry.gif

...and no one mentioned "Baas Complex" :( I have 2 CDs of old material here from 1991 - 1993.

Not meaning to brag, just indicating that indeed Goa music dates back to earlier than 1994... Ow God I love that sound.

Just like this dj set:

Can't post it enough :P

...and no one mentioned "Baas Complex" :( I have 2 CDs of old material here from 1991 - 1993.

Not meaning to brag, just indicating that indeed Goa music dates back to earlier than 1994... Ow God I love that sound.

Just like this dj set:

Can't post it enough :P

Track on 21 minutes is amazing! Any ideas what it is?

• 1 month later...

Psy-Harmonics doesn't get brought up a lot in these discussions, which surprises me since they released some of the first artist albums (Third Eye, Zen Paradox, Shaolin Wooden Men, ect.)

And of course Youth was a big pioneer of the early Goa and proto-Goa scene through his work with Ben Watkins, Stephen Holweck, and Alex Patterson, not to mention numerous one-offs, remixes, and production work for acts like System 7 and many others.

But who were the pioneers really depends on what 'side' of Goa you're talking about... do you mean melodic, uplifting Goa, or the more dark & twisted night-time stuff? If we go back to the very beginning, the 'morning' sound seems to have its roots in Italo and high-NRG disco records... artists like Lime, Patrick Cowley, Mike Mareen, Bobby Orlando productions, ect. While the 'night' sound came from predominantly EBM artists like Front 242, Skinny Puppy, Nitzer Ebb, Portion Control. Somewhere in the middle, you have synth-pop like Cabaret Voltaire, Hard Corps, Chris and Cosey, and early house, electro, proto-techno artists like Model 500, Moskwa TV, Newcleus, Telex (listen to Moskow Diskow, already goa-ish by 1979), Grauzone, ect. Of course the list of influential artists goes on and on, but I find that it helps to break it down in this way...