Pioneers of goa trance

radi6404

PLANET BEN

I also don't see many with unique sound being mentioned :

e.g

COSMOSIS

CALIFORNIA SUNSHINE

Even if I agree that Planet BEN is one of the most talented artists out there, I wouldnt call him a Pioneer of GOA trance so to say. He has contributed a lot but GOA Trance was a term when he made his fist appearance IMO. Cosmosis had his first release in 1995? California Sunshine is def not a pioneer in my eyes, but Har-EL would be with his Pagan Moon CHILD (Sorry for dyslexian drunk rant and shine came into the picture) from 1994.

Pioneers for me are the ones that started something, that got OTHERS into doing things and evolving it into what it is today... But if you want to name all the artists that you love, then they would prolly all be Pioneers in their own little way. :)

Overlords with Sundown in 1991, and Eat Static as well ;) There were some projects by For instance Robert Leiner (Andromatic) which today would be classed as early Goa Trance (1992). It was widely played in Goa, and the music that we KNOW AS GOA became GOA TRANCE, because djs and musicians made parties there and played their so called TRANCE. Period and end of story really. It will all be documented in my Pioneers of Trance book (finished in 2012) :D

sundown in 1991, i have this track and thought it´s rpoduced way later as it sounds quite good and not dated at all, it´s indeet 100% goa trance.

sundown in 1991, i have this track and thought it´s rpoduced way later as it sounds quite good and not dated at all, it´s indeet 100% goa trance.

and there is more. Anyways, I wont give a lecture now, its all going to be covered in my book :)

Guest Rezwalker

Early pioneers : MWNN, goa gil

1995-2000 : the ultimate pioneers to me are California sunshine (and not only for this period, i really like also their "sinking sand" album from 2003)

also top pioneer projects : Transwave, MFG, Etnica, Electric universe (mostly)

Overated "pioneers" : hallucinogen, Astral projection

project who have nothing to do with this thread : eat static (mostly), koxbox.

everything above is IMO of course.

EDIT:

Because for some of the guys here this post wasn't clear, i'll make it more clear: because it's obvious which projects are the pioneers my trying to this post was to give a different eye in this thread. that means:

my mention was firstly about the main goa-trance pioneers (who are goa-trance projects for many years and not only about only few tracks) and then the pioneers from period 1995-2000 mostly cause of their pioneer goaish music techniques.

i can't call eat static pioneers even if they have produced a few goaish tracks because in to my eyes they arent goa trance project. they have over a 15 years history and the goaish tracks from them are only few. as for koxbox if some1 believes their sound goa i wonder how can we desribe the Indoor sound, or california sunshine sound for example.

so to me starters deserved to called projects with big length with goaish sound in scene. that was my point.

Even if I agree that Planet BEN is one of the most talented artists out there, I wouldnt call him a Pioneer of GOA trance so to say. He has contributed a lot but GOA Trance was a term when he made his fist appearance IMO. Cosmosis had his first release in 1995? California Sunshine is def not a pioneer in my eyes, but Har-EL would be with his Pagan Moon CHILD (Sorry for dyslexian drunk rant and shine came into the picture) from 1994.

Pioneers for me are the ones that started something, that got OTHERS into doing things and evolving it into what it is today... But if you want to name all the artists that you love, then they would prolly all be Pioneers in their own little way. :)

Yes I agree with you - not pioneers, rather acts with their own sound...

& I always had the impression that Har-El Prussky was the one doing most of the work behind California Sunshine project...

Yes I agree with you - not pioneers, rather acts with their own sound...

& I always had the impression that Har-El Prussky was the one doing most of the work behind California Sunshine project...

Yes, thats my impression as well to be honest. But I have had very little contact with Har-El to know... (met him 2ice at parties and talked a bit with him..)

All right, relax. Just breathe :)

About Planet B.E.N... Trippy Future Garden is indeed impressive given the date of composition, but did these tracks have any impact at all? Were they circulated on DAT to the DJs of the time; were they relevant back in the year of their creation? I wonder if it was merely material sitting around for some time that eventually saw the light of day on Polytox... I am actually writing up a proper review of this oldie so any bit of trivia concerning it would be very helpful... the most critical thing I have been unable to verify is simply whether Ben actually had any measurable influence on the development of trance with the material found on Trippy Future Garden, or whether his role was limited to whatever effect may have been achieved with those early remixes and co-productions released on Tunnel and Superstition and such. For that matter I may as well ask how far and how wide early X-Dream productions travelled... anyone know?

All right, relax. Just breathe :)

About Planet B.E.N... Trippy Future Garden is indeed impressive given the date of composition, but did these tracks have any impact at all? Were they circulated on DAT to the DJs of the time; were they relevant back in the year of their creation? I wonder if it was merely material sitting around for some time that eventually saw the light of day on Polytox... I am actually writing up a proper review of this oldie so any bit of trivia concerning it would be very helpful... the most critical thing I have been unable to verify is simply whether Ben actually had any measurable influence on the development of trance with the material found on Trippy Future Garden, or whether his role was limited to whatever effect may have been achieved with those early remixes and co-productions released on Tunnel and Superstition and such. For that matter I may as well ask how far and how wide early X-Dream productions travelled... anyone know?

Now this post is interesting :) X-Dream I guess you could date back to 1991 as well. I HAD some dats with material recorded in 1991 by them. When was Live Fast Die Young recorded? I guess the same can apply to Planet BEN, that he might have been dated back to those days with loads of unsigned but finished material. Ben has also been in the scene pretty long (1983?) with acid house and so on, so it is a BIG possibility. Ben and X-Dream are 2 of the artists on my list for my research :)

Early pioneers : MWNN, goa gil

1995-2000 : the ultimate pioneers to me are California sunshine (and not only for this period, i really like also their "sinking sand" album from 2003)

also top pioneer projects : Transwave, MFG, Etnica, Electric universe (mostly)

Overated "pioneers" : hallucinogen, Astral projection

project who have nothing to do with this thread : eat static (mostly), koxbox.

everything above is IMO of course.

So let me again ask you with another approach. Why is it and on what grounds do you think that that Eat Static and Koxbox have nothing to do with this thread? Koxbox have very early psychedelic releases on various labels, long before California Sunshine for instance. Are you saying that Goa Trance didnt exist before 1995 (I think, and this is only my opinion, since it started for 1992 for me, and 1995 for you has a LOT to do with it)? What is that opinion based on? Why do you think that Hallucinogen is Overrated as a pioneer when you still Acknowledge Etnica, Electric Universe and Transwave?

As for Eat Static, if we listen to Abduction for instance, that has nothing to do with Goa Trance? I could agree MAYBE that the Implant CD is less goa, but MORE psychedelic. At least they didn't sound generic to everything else and tried to sound genuine. Which IMO Eat Static always have done.

PLUS, dont get me wrong, I love Har-El, Transwave, MFG, Etnica and Electric Universe A LOT!

but i find the very main goa trance artists are not for example eat static, afaik they aren´t as well knows as for example hallucinogen and mfg, i agree with total eclipse though and man, the above does not say eat static is bad, i am interested in good eat static ambient, i heard some eat static ambient which sound similar to shpongle.

I know more people (non psy people) who have heard of Eat Static than hallucinogen & mfg combined. Well I don't know anyone who has heard of MFG!

Remember just because you don't know them doesn't mean....

Guest Rezwalker

So let me again ask you with another approach. Why is it and on what grounds do you think that that Eat Static and Koxbox have nothing to do with this thread? Koxbox have very early psychedelic releases on various labels, long before California Sunshine for instance. Are you saying that Goa Trance didnt exist before 1995 (I think, and this is only my opinion, since it started for 1992 for me, and 1995 for you has a LOT to do with it)? What is that opinion based on? Why do you think that Hallucinogen is Overrated as a pioneer when you still Acknowledge Etnica, Electric Universe and Transwave?

As for Eat Static, if we listen to Abduction for instance, that has nothing to do with Goa Trance? I could agree MAYBE that the Implant CD is less goa, but MORE psychedelic. At least they didn't sound generic to everything else and tried to sound genuine. Which IMO Eat Static always have done.

PLUS, dont get me wrong, I love Har-El, Transwave, MFG, Etnica and Electric Universe A LOT!

since u have delete my yesterdays posts in this thread, do not expect answers from me to yr questions.

btw u didn't understand even the 10% of my 1st post. and i don't have interest to explain my every word. my words are very clear. have a nice day.

since u have delete my yesterdays posts in this thread, do not expect answers from me to yr questions.

btw u didn't understand even the 10% of my 1st post. and i don't have interest to explain my every word. my words are very clear. have a nice day.

I set the irrelevant off-topic posts to invisible, including mine. I did that so we could get a diffrent approach on things. But this reply I guess really proves my points made earlier. Thank you for confirming!

e. and edited pavels irrelevant post (It slipped me, since it was relevant to start with, sorry)

Regards,

Nemo

Juno Reactors first track, and also their pseudonyms. Definite psytrance tracks from 1991-1992.

Huh? Wasn't psytrance supposed to exist after something like 98-99?

Please, I do humbly ask to correct me if I'm wrong :)

You mean SFX I guess? There is an SFX vinyl called Monster Mania from 1991. I'm not too impressed by the tracks themselves, just bought it as collectors item...

Here's the discogs link to it:

http://www.discogs.com/release/53831

Thanks, that should be it I guess :D

Overlords with Sundown in 1991, and Eat Static as well ;)

Before 1992, Eat Static, The Overlords or SFX for instance sound very much Indus rather than Trance to my ear. No wonder, of course. I guess everyone is entitled to draw his own line between late 80's Indus and proto-Goa. ;)

Personally I still consider The KLF - What time is love (Pure trance version) (1988) to be the very first proto-Goa trance track to have been released.

It will all be documented in my Pioneers of Trance book

Looking eagerly forward to it!

Before 1992, Eat Static, The Overlords or SFX for instance sound very much Indus rather than Trance to my ear. No wonder, of course. I guess everyone is entitled to draw his own line between late 80's Indus and proto-Goa. ;)

Personally I still consider The KLF - What time is love (Pure trance version) (1988) to be the very first proto-Goa trance track to have been released.

Looking eagerly forward to it!

However, the 2 mentioned groups later made some of the most wonderful goa trance that has been ever released. Before their time? Yes! Pioneers, Definitely! :) We will see what all these Interviews will bring... its a huge project :)

Someone else that wants to explain to me why Hallucinogen would be overrated (Since a certain someone else will not do it himself) There must be others that think that Hallucinogen is overrated, or not? :)

I thought you were ignoring me. Anyways, I wassnt asking you.

I have my opinion about Hallucinogen as well, and I am also having the opinion that he is overrated at times. (You didnt see that one coming did you now?) However, I think that his music for the greater part is good. Sometimes I feel there is too much hype around him, but hey, he fucking deserves something for the hard work and sweat he has put into his work.

Now, The question is if he is a pioneer, and why would be be an OVERRATED pioneer. Someone else with views on that? I could not say that hes an overrated pioneer, I could say "Today hes overrated" but he for sure deserves his spot as Pioneer of goa/psy trance.

Opinions people?

Why does everybody seem obsessed with ratings nowadays? What is this board about, music or math exam outcome?

I never understood this whole overrated/underrated business. Who gives the ratings? Who's the official jury? DJs? Label owners? Customers? "Professional" reviewers? Party organizers?

I liked Hallucinogen - LSD a lot when I bought it in 1995. It was different from anything that I had heard of sofar at the time. I have no idea what it may sound like to some Goahead listening to it today for the first time. A bit stale, maybe. Anyway, it is still highly rated in my personal taste, and that's all that counts for me.

Why does everybody seem obsessed with ratings nowadays? What is this board about, music or math exam outcome?

I never understood this whole overrated/underrated business. Who gives the ratings? Who's the official jury? DJs? Label owners? Customers? "Professional" reviewers? Party organizers?

I hear you man. It's silly nonsense gibberish to say anything's overrated/underrated.

People just tend to think that their taste is somehow "just" and feel they can decide artist's value. bfff!

:)

I liked Hallucinogen - LSD a lot when I bought it in 1995. It was different from anything that I had heard of sofar at the time. I have no idea what it may sound like to some Goahead listening to it today for the first time. A bit stale, maybe. Anyway, it is still highly rated in my personal taste, and that's all that counts for me.

I totally agree, but to be able to track down things, you need to discuss about those kind of things I am afraid (cause there will always be the one saying its over/under rated). I am not saying that Hallucinogen is a bad artist (Far from it, hes a fucking genius imo).

And with my research, I am not trying to rate anything, I am trying to write an "essay" about how it all started, who was involved in what, and what was played when and where. I hope you don't get my posts wrong, and if I made the impression that I rated something higher than something else, I also apologize. (Maybe you got me wrong when I said that hes overrated in my last post, it was to provoke something else) :) (mission accomplished and failed though!)

e. Yes, when I first go LSD as well, it blew my mind, and I still play it on every single morning gig that I have. That record follows me around the globe (amongst around 100 others) like it were my nutsack! :) Everytime I play it, doesnt matter if its a n00b or oldie that hears it, they get smiley facey! :):D