"Concept" albums

Go-Goa Trancer

Hello all.

I first got aware of this kind of album when I saw the Talamasca - Zodiac CD. All the track names were zodiac names. Although the music didn't follow any special concept (except being full-on/typical Talamasca style), it did add something (bad or good, it's you to decide) to the album. So I wondered what other concept albums are out there. The ones I know are:

Talamasca - Zodiac (only track names IMO)

The Mystery Of The Yeti 1 (track names AND music)

The Mystery/Secret Of The Thirteen Crystal Skulls (hum... hard to say about the music, it has a sort of concept, but the most noticeable are the track names)

Twelve (music and track names)

Pleiadians - IFO (only track names)

The problem is also to distinguish "concept" music and the genre. I mean Jaia - Blue Energy could have been a concept album, but the track names have no link between each other, and the music is indeed a journey and it gets really close to "concept", but IMO it's not exactly that. On the contrary, I think that Twelve has concept music, since the whole album is beatless ambient. But then, I can't say that any beatless album would be a "concept" album. What do you think about it?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cosmosis - Contact

Read more about it here

:)

Nice one, antic! ;)

The concept line is really subtle (as said in the webpage), but very well thought.

By the way, I don't think I'm mistaking when I say that he sampled The Sixth Sense: "Walking around like regular people" in the Contact track?

Guest antic

By the way, I don't think I'm mistaking when I say that he sampled The Sixth Sense: "Walking around like regular people"?

Yes, that's correct.

I'm particularly happy with what Bill wrote on that page I linked to, because when he says "It was picked up by a few people, one reviewer in particular completely got the whole plot..." he was talking about my review. :):D

I'm particularly happy with what Bill wrote on that page I linked to, because when he says "It was picked up by a few people, one reviewer in particular completely got the whole plot..." he was talking about my review. :):D

Damn, I don't think I would have ever notice that... It was very clever from you! :)

Guest antic

Damn, I don't think I would have ever notice that... It was very clever from you! :)

No, not really. I just love Cosmosis and I listened to that album like hundreds of times so it eventually became obvious.

I pay a lot of attention to details, I analyse the tracks etc.

I'm not clever. I'm a freak :D

Hm.

The VA - Phenix compilation, perhaps (track names obviously, although they've got similar names).

Holymen - Color of Sound (no, not all tracks have names reminiscent of colors, but I thought I'd add this one anyway :P)

Hm.

The VA - Phenix compilation, perhaps (track names obviously, although they've got similar names).

Holymen - Color of Sound (no, not all tracks have names reminiscent of colors, but I thought I'd add this one anyway :P)

Yay! The Phenix compilation is weird... No track names? But it's a concept.

Ubar Tmar - Macrometasomakosmos :P

WHOA! Now that's a concept! How the track titles are put on the CD case??? :blink:

Recently

Principles of Flight - Night time Lullabies

has a story feel to it!

Great one! It seems like a fantasy story.

Artifakt - Artifakts II (Huh, should be obvious ;) )

Secede - Tryshasla (It's a story...)

Kattoo albums

+ tons of mixed albums that flow nicely from the beginning to the end and the ones that have similar track names etc.

is this thread about the actual names of the tracks of the fact the tracks are fitt in the album and tell and a story...

I'm a bit stoned,

I would say:

mysterie of the yeti I and II and the mysterie of the thirteen crystal skulls...

is this thread about the actual names of the tracks of the fact the tracks are fitt in the album and tell and a story...

I'm a bit stoned,

I would say:

mysterie of the yeti I and II and the mysterie of the thirteen crystal skulls...

Well, this is what I wanted to point out in the end of my first post: there's the obvious "track names concept" like Zodiac, there's the "whole music genre concept" like Twelve, and there's the "atmosphere/journey concept", like Blue Energy. I won't tell you that this topic is only about track names, but IMO the journey concept will not really fit. I don't see it as a real conceptual thing, when the tracks are VERY different from the others (you can't tell that Sommeil Paradoxal has a musical connexion to Anawa's Paradise).

Just to make an example: The Mystery Of The Yeti 1 has IMO a music concept, since the whole musical creation was centered around a specific theme (not only the Yeti theme, but the creation of the tracks). But The Mystery Of The Yeti 2 doesn't have this musical concept anymore, because even though it might have some general cohesion, there is no link (musically) between the tracks - and by link I don't meen a simple mix or a general genre cohesion, but a true connexion.

Anyway, this is quite complex for me (and even more difficult to explain what I think), and I think we all have a different approach to the "concept" concept :P , so I'm not restricting any proposition.

I hope I made my self a little bit clear, but I'm not really good explainig myself, so when it's in english... it's even harder :ph34r:

Well, this is what I wanted to point out in the end of my first post: there's the obvious "track names concept" like Zodiac, there's the "whole music genre concept" like Twelve, and there's the "atmosphere/journey concept", like Blue Energy. I won't tell you that this topic is only about track names, but IMO the journey concept will not really fit. I don't see it as a real conceptual thing, when the tracks are VERY different from the others (you can't tell that Sommeil Paradoxal has a musical connexion to Anawa's Paradise).

Just to make an example: The Mystery Of The Yeti 1 has IMO a music concept, since the whole musical creation was centered around a specific theme (not only the Yeti theme, but the creation of the tracks). But The Mystery Of The Yeti 2 doesn't have this musical concept anymore, because even though it might have some general cohesion, there is no link (musically) between the tracks - and by link I don't meen a simple mix or a general genre cohesion, but a true connexion.

Anyway, this is quite complex for me (and even more difficult to explain what I think), and I think we all have a different approach to the "concept" concept :P , so I'm not restricting any proposition.

I hope I made my self a little bit clear, but I'm not really good explainig myself, so when it's in english... it's even harder :ph34r:

I know actually what you mean, those are the golden releases, how many goa releases are perfect for home listing and have good tracks from track 1 until the latest,

well it's indeed difficult... some are good also because you like their sound so much...

but like really atmopsheric concepts who are present in the entire release is perfect...

and more spiritual floathing fairytale concept,

khetzal is that imo for me,

to be honest, misted muppets from the legend release imo the first and still only one who ever created fullon and actually succeeded in creating a concept cd, although the release is not my style, it's too nervous, to noizy, but I recognize it...

at the the hand, maybe the definition "concept cd' is more individual as goa listernen,

what would be again a typical mark be for goa :rolleyes:

;)