Psytrance is going nowhere

pr0fane

Yep, according to Tsuyoshi Suzuki "Psytrance is going nowhere" (just look at the tracktitle for the first track on his new mix-CD) - but still he contributes with a mix of mass-produced full on fodder, and even with a few quite poor track-transitions as well.

Ironic or sad release, coming from one of the most well-respected psytrance DJ's evargh? Discuss.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/vic/vic1cd678.html

• Like 1

I wonder why they chose to feature him on this release... What is the intention behind it ?

Making money ? Poor investment, especially since Im sure 90% of todays psy community never heard of Suzuki or Prana, or Matsuri Productions for that matter.

It is clear, that Mr Suzuki holds opinions in regards to "psytrance", then again, he was trying to sell the same message 10 years ago now... Since then, we had an explosion of Psychedelic Chillout, Dark Psychedelic Trance, Cross genre House&Deep Trance with Psychedelic, Suomi Style and other subgenres.

So, I wonder if he really noticed those developments, keeping his head in the ground, coming out with this opinionated statement ? I mean, I dont really see much new in his tracklist no.... so I wonder, is he aware of the developments at all ? Seems like he is mostly focussed on getting his own, 10 year old, message out once more... Which is sad, since when you are offered a chance to compile and mix a set for release, you owe the people employing you and the people buying it to honor the idea and to do an honest days work and put together something professional.

This being said, I dont know the details of this release, wouldnt bother listening to it either. More than 10 years ago, Suzuki was one of the Djs I very much respected, and to some extent, I still do - For what he was. However, I think this is in the past, while I dont disrespect him as a person now, I in no way consider him a good psytrance dj, or really, even a psytrance dj.

This I trust, is no problem for him, and I would not wish for it to be so either. However, I think its a sad waste of resources to release something half baked, only to get a message out which is so outdated, and simply not true.

Sad those resources didnt go to a freelance dj, or whomever most qualified.... and not some psychedelic relick from the past.

Psytrance is going somewhere, to hell maybe ? Doesnt matter if you dont like where it is going really, but it IS changing and moving forward - slowly but surely.

- Krell

I wonder why they chose to feature him on this release... What is the intention behind it ?

Making money ? Poor investment, especially since Im sure 90% of todays psy community never heard of Suzuki or Prana, or Matsuri Productions for that matter.

It is clear, that Mr Suzuki holds opinions in regards to "psytrance", then again, he was trying to sell the same message 10 years ago now... Since then, we had an explosion of Psychedelic Chillout, Dark Psychedelic Trance, Cross genre House&Deep Trance with Psychedelic, Suomi Style and other subgenres.

So, I wonder if he really noticed those developments, keeping his head in the ground, coming out with this opinionated statement ? I mean, I dont really see much new in his tracklist no.... so I wonder, is he aware of the developments at all ? Seems like he is mostly focussed on getting his own, 10 year old, message out once more... Which is sad, since when you are offered a chance to compile and mix a set for release, you owe the people employing you and the people buying it to honor the idea and to do an honest days work and put together something professional.

This being said, I dont know the details of this release, wouldnt bother listening to it either. More than 10 years ago, Suzuki was one of the Djs I very much respected, and to some extent, I still do - For what he was. However, I think this is in the past, while I dont disrespect him as a person now, I in no way consider him a good psytrance dj, or really, even a psytrance dj.

This I trust, is no problem for him, and I would not wish for it to be so either. However, I think its a sad waste of resources to release something half baked, only to get a message out which is so outdated, and simply not true.

Sad those resources didnt go to a freelance dj, or whomever most qualified.... and not some psychedelic relick from the past.

Psytrance is going somewhere, to hell maybe ? Doesnt matter if you dont like where it is going really, but it IS changing and moving forward - slowly but surely.

- Krell

+1

Yep, according to Tsuyoshi Suzuki "Psytrance is going nowhere" (just look at the tracktitle for the first track on his new mix-CD) - but still he contributes with a mix of mass-produced full on fodder, and even with a few quite poor track-transitions as well.

Ironic or sad release, coming from one of the most well-respected psytrance DJ's evargh? Discuss.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/vic/vic1cd678.html

You know, Tsuyoshi probably likes to take the piss! He turned his back on Psytrance when he obviously didn't like the way it was going. But when you're offered money to do something you'd be smart not to turn it down but to take it up but take the piss out of it.

This looks like he is taking the piss just for the hell of it ;)

Go Tsuyoshi

I'd say the same.

I mean,it IS true.

Even if most of you wont agree.

It certainly is not true.

In 1997 Suzuki released VA "Let it RIP", pointing to letting the music (goa / psytrance) Rest In Peace. This is where his argumentation starts, now, 10 years later he repeats something along the same lines as Let it RIP.

So, was psytrance "dead" as a musical genre back then ? No. Since back then, we have had several developments into new sounds, the psytrance of today is different from the psytrance of back then, since it evolved, and to evolve it needs to have been ALIVE - and also, it needs to have been moving, ergo, it is going somewhere. So, its neither dead(1997) or not moving forward(2007).

Just to name a few developments I will repeat myself, Dark Psychedelic Trance, Suomi Style, Tech Trance and a shit load of cross genre work. All which are developments and proof of movement, from 1997 to 2007. He was wrong back then, and he is wrong now. Just because you have a strong opinion and your famous, doesnt mean that you are right.

These are the facts, and they prove that I am right and you are wrong. I can say this with confidence, since this is really as simple as I put it. When something is dead, it does not live, when something is not moving forward it does not change. Psytrance did all of those things, so, there must be a fault in the argument "let it rip" "psytrance is going nowhere" or the copy cat version "psytrance is dead"... To all of those you might add "for me" or "to me" at the end, then the argument would become true, but not before.

Only question that remains is, are you too stubborn to acknowledge the truth when it is presented to you... Perhaps you are, like him, too mesmerized by your own opinion for you to be able to take the facts into consideration.

- Krell

It certainly is not true.

In 1997 Suzuki released VA "Let it RIP", pointing to letting the music (goa / psytrance) Rest In Peace. This is where his argumentation starts, now, 10 years later he repeats something along the same lines as Let it RIP.

So, was psytrance "dead" as a musical genre back then ? No. Since back then, we have had several developments into new sounds, the psytrance of today is different from the psytrance of back then, since it evolved, and to evolve it needs to have been ALIVE - and also, it needs to have been moving, ergo, it is going somewhere. So, its neither dead(1997) or not moving forward(2007).

Just to name a few developments I will repeat myself, Dark Psychedelic Trance, Suomi Style, Tech Trance and a shit load of cross genre work. All which are developments and proof of movement, from 1997 to 2007. He was wrong back then, and he is wrong now. Just because you have a strong opinion and your famous, doesnt mean that you are right.

These are the facts, and they prove that I am right and you are wrong. I can say this with confidence, since this is really as simple as I put it. When something is dead, it does not live, when something is not moving forward it does not change. Psytrance did all of those things, so, there must be a fault in the argument "let it rip" "psytrance is going nowhere" or the copy cat version "psytrance is dead"... To all of those you might add "for me" or "to me" at the end, then the argument would become true, but not before.

Only question that remains is, are you too stubborn to acknowledge the truth when it is presented to you... Perhaps you are, like him, too mesmerized by your own opinion for you to be able to take the facts into consideration.

- Krell

OR he is just out to provoke. That could be a possibility right? Not that I think it is, but it could.

It says psytrance is going nowhere, not that its dead. Theres a difference.

or you can be all philosophical about it and...

psytrance is going:

Now Here

Nowhere (as in its here to STAY)

:)

It says psytrance is going nowhere, not that its dead. Theres a difference.

Isnt it the same thing really ?

"Let it RIP" and "Psytrance is going nowhere" are Suzuki statements.

"Psytrance is dead" is from another label, Nabi Records.

Anyways, Suzuki earlier stated "let it RIP" as in "rest in peace" something you say when someone died. The connection should be obvious to you now.

- Krell

Isnt it the same thing really ?

"Let it RIP" and "Psytrance is going nowhere" are Suzuki statements.

"Psytrance is dead" is from another label, Nabi Records.

Anyways, Suzuki earlier stated "let it RIP" as in "rest in peace" something you say when someone died. The connection should be obvious to you now.

- Krell

Actually philosophical or not, I am still agreeing with Krell on this one :)

Yea, but he stated Let it RIP, 10 years ago. Maybe in the meantime he changed his mind :P

Honestly, i don't have a clue what Suzuki has in mind, and i don't know if i care. The whole thing leads us nowhere.

Or maybe everywhere???