My New Live setup.

I know I'd be better off with my mouth shut, but I occasionally get lost even on my computer keyboard. :lol:

I get dizzy just by looking at these "machines", softwares or whatever is their proper name, function and all...

Wish you the best of luck with the live! Damn, if a police raid was to take place, they could arrest you for carrying highly sophisticated missile launching machinery! :)

I know I'd be better off with my mouth shut, but I occasionally get lost even on my computer keyboard. :lol:

I get dizzy just by looking at these "machines", softwares or whatever is their proper name, function and all...

Wish you the best of luck with the live! Damn, if a police raid was to take place, they could arrest you for carrying highly sophisticated missile launching machinery! :)

:lol:

Hah... you want 3 screens for that lot!

I've heard that Phoscyon isn't quite as accurate an emulation as ABL2 - what's your opinion? How do the TR emulations stack up against the originals?

Hah... you want 3 screens for that lot!

I've heard that Phoscyon isn't quite as accurate an emulation as ABL2 - what's your opinion? How do the TR emulations stack up against the originals?

I am using the ABL2 for 303 emulation only actually. The Phoscyon I am using for other weird sounds that I can get out of it hehe. :) The TR Emulation is very good imo :) It sounds "Cleaner"? I mean, its tighter than when I did my first live set with hardware, thats for sure. :)

on another forum some dude compared his 303 with abl2. (provided samples to us) the results were pretty amazing, although i think the audiorealism filter is losing it with higher cutoff, the difference gets pretty obvious.

i asked him what he thinks about phoscyon and he said that the accents are really bad..

ive never had a real TB so... i love phosyon and tau, though :)

Nice setup Nemo.

Just to make you drool, I once went to a rave where they had 8 TR303s (real) strung together playing in concert.

Stairway to Headphones was the name of the rave and it was a release party for a local record label (Minneapolis).

No emulators can duplicate a real 303 with higher cutoff IMHO.

Please pardon my criticism, but I don't understand why the 303 - or soft variants thereof - is still in use. In my opinion it was maxed out long ago. Aren't there any new, interesting ways to create an aesthetic that doesn't sound like someone else's? Seems to me that a ton of people are trying very hard to create new technologies to keep us all from sounding the same. Or is it a competition to see who can do the coolest shit with a 303? Is it to please the crowd, some of which actually specifically wants to hear 303 sounds while the majority doesn't?

???

I don't get it. :huh:

Please pardon my criticism, but I don't understand why the 303 - or soft variants thereof - is still in use. In my opinion it was maxed out long ago. Aren't there any new, interesting ways to create an aesthetic that doesn't sound like someone else's? Seems to me that a ton of people are trying very hard to create new technologies to keep us all from sounding the same. Or is it a competition to see who can do the coolest shit with a 303? Is it to please the crowd, some of which actually specifically wants to hear 303 sounds while the majority doesn't?

???

I don't get it. :huh:

Its like with any other thing that has taste involved Otto... either you are a sucker for it, or you dont get it. :) IMO the 303 sound will never die, as it is a very genuine sound... its just like some artists will never ever use anything else than a minimoog... they are suckers, and I am a sucker :)

Its like with any other thing that has taste involved Otto... either you are a sucker for it, or you dont get it. :) IMO the 303 sound will never die, as it is a very genuine sound... its just like some artists will never ever use anything else than a minimoog... they are suckers, and I am a sucker :)

I understand. But can you describe why you're a sucker for the 303?

I understand. But can you describe why you're a sucker for the 303?

Can you explain why you like honey? Honestly, the sound is the ONE sound that goes to my spine every time I hear it :)

Fair enough.

I didnt mean to diss your question Otto, what I mean, is that I can not explain why I love it so much :) Just as I can not explain why Honey just gives me a mouth orgasm :)

I didnt mean to diss your question Otto, what I mean, is that I can not explain why I love it so much :) Just as I can not explain why Honey just gives me a mouth orgasm :)

No, I understand. I don't think it can quite be compared to loving honey, because there are more complicated sociological factors involved, but I understand. ;)

i can imagine it:

party dude A: "hey! he used phoscyon and not a real tb!"

party dude B: "yea, he should have used abl. this party sucks!"

party dude A: "k lets go home!"

cut the crap, will ya? :P

i can imagine it:

party dude A: "hey! he used phoscyon and not a real tb!"

party dude B: "yea, he should have used abl. this party sucks!"

party dude A: "k lets go home!"

cut the crap, will ya? :P

I dont think so! :)

my point wasn't abl vs 303 vs phoscyon, it was about the fact that it doesn't really matter. i made a track with a 303ish line made in phoscyon and imo it sounds better than even some original.

after all, it all depends on more factors and not just the plain sound coming out of the instrument.

my point wasn't abl vs 303 vs phoscyon, it was about the fact that it doesn't really matter. i made a track with a 303ish line made in phoscyon and imo it sounds better than even some original.

after all, it all depends on more factors and not just the plain sound coming out of the instrument.

I know what you meant! :lol:

All well-designed analog kit has something about it that software has a hard time matching. In the case of the TB303, I think there are some things it does - some magic, golden combination of the unique pattern entry system and the instrument's oscillator, accent and filter response - that are not (so far) emulated exactly in software but are just sublime in the context of electronic dance music. And they bloody well should be too; after all, it was precisely this exact same specific combination of the unique step sequencer and oscillator, accent and filter response that **started the whole acid revolution in the first place**. Psychedelic dance music as we know today it exists specifically and solely because of the TB303*. In trying to emulate this specific instrument as closely as possible, plugin designers are, in effect, trying to do nothing more than bring dance music home.

IMHO :unsure:

Another factor in the classic 303 sound is distortion or overdrive. In the old 1990s we didn't even have a stompbox to do it; whenever we wanted a distorted 303 in our tunes I just turned the gain on the 303's mixer channel up to 'full' and pulled the fader right down; I could swap between the distorted and undistorted gains and fader levels blind after a few gigs! My favourites for distortion at the moment are Antares Tube, Green Machine, Guitar Rig and of course the trusty Quadrafuzz.

@ Colin

Ahhh ive been recommended this one 3 times this week. If YOU as well say its good, I will get it! :) Cheers for unconciously recommending me it!

@ Otto

At ebay or in Synth magazines :) Be prepared to pay around 1000 dollars for an unmodded one. (Without midi)