Burning Man

So I'm going to the burn this year for the first time.

Can someone enlighten me a bit what is good to bring?

Like I have a normal tent (you know, the classic cube). Is that worth anything in Nevada?

And what about footwear? Anything that comes in handy?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm travelling from Denmark so I'm gonna bring my stuff with me in a bagpack. And even though it's big I need to pack smart to have room for everything.

I know that Burning Man has a website where virgins can get some good advice too. I will check that too.

But if anyone here can give me some good, clean advice I'd sure appreciate that too :)

Anyone else going btw? Or that has been there before?

Damn, I can't wait to go!

So I'm going to the burn this year for the first time.

Can someone enlighten me a bit what is good to bring?

Like I have a normal tent (you know, the classic cube). Is that worth anything in Nevada?

And what about footwear? Anything that comes in handy?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm travelling from Denmark so I'm gonna bring my stuff with me in a bagpack. And even though it's big I need to pack smart to have room for everything.

I know that Burning Man has a website where virgins can get some good advice too. I will check that too.

But if anyone here can give me some good, clean advice I'd sure appreciate that too :)

Anyone else going btw? Or that has been there before?

Damn, I can't wait to go!

I couldnt resist, but bring condoms! :D

I see jokes but I don't see much advice <_<

Tent: less holes (mesh) = the better (if you don't have additional wind/dust/shade structure).

Footwear: for the day sandals work fine (with/without socks) - make sure you clean them at least once before you go to bed. For the night - whatever comfy broken shoes you have - you'll walk a lot during the night.

For additional advices go to bm site and read survival guide - most things mentioned there are true :) You can check also eplaya forum.

Or PM me :)

Do you know who are you camping with yet?

PS. See you on the playa :)

Tent: less holes (mesh) = the better (if you don't have additional wind/dust/shade structure).

Footwear: for the day sandals work fine (with/without socks) - make sure you clean them at least once before you go to bed. For the night - whatever comfy broken shoes you have - you'll walk a lot during the night.

For additional advices go to bm site and read survival guide - most things mentioned there are true :) You can check also eplaya forum.

Or PM me :)

Do you know who are you camping with yet?

PS. See you on the playa :)

Well, I may be going with 1 or two american friends, but they haven't decided yet if they are going. Also two friends from my home country may be going but I doubt it. I have no confirmations so as of today I will be coming alone.

The thing is I am travelling from Denmark and haven't been able to persuade anyone to go with me. Only a few of my friends are into far-out festivals etc.

But I've heard so much about this festival the sooner I go there the better. And if that means coming alone so be it. It doesn't bother me much.

Though if I got the chance to put my tent next to someone I know of course I'd do it.

Thanks for the advice. So a normal tent is workable also in the desert - it doesn't HAVE to be any kick-ass expensive tent.

And you are camping on sand, right? I know that the weather can change in a second but does storms occur regularly?

Oh well nevermind, I'll read the bm beginners guide and take it from there. I'm gonna bring what I've brought with me to Boom festival. That'll just have to work.

But perhaps one question; food and water. Is it really necessary to bring all that yourself? There are no places to buy these things? That sounds oddly cumbersome :angry:

Though if I got the chance to put my tent next to someone I know of course I'd do it.

If you won't find anyone give me a shout - ths year we'll be camping with 30 something friends ...

So a normal tent is workable also in the desert - it doesn't HAVE to be any kick-ass expensive tent.

I paid for my tent about $40 (on sale hehe). Just pick up one that doesn't have too many vents - otherwise you'll end up with sandbox in your tent (I experienced it my 1st time on the playa) :)

And you are camping on sand, right? I know that the weather can change in a second but does storms occur regularly?

It's hard, dried up, coverd with DUST not sand lakebed. DUST storms happen every day. Make sure you'll have rebars for your tent :)

Oh well nevermind, I'll read the bm beginners guide and take it from there. I'm gonna bring what I've brought with me to Boom festival. That'll just have to work.

It's not typical outdoor festival so you may consider adding/leaving certain thing :)

But perhaps one question; food and water. Is it really necessary to bring all that yourself? There are no places to buy these things? That sounds oddly cumbersome :angry:

You can buy there ONLY coffee, tea, chai and ICE. Everything else you have to bring w/you (less food more water).

See you on the playa :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for your advice :)

I guess I will be living off noodles for a week then ... :huh:

How's a good way to bring all the stuff with you? I mean, bringing water alone for a week in the desert sounds like a challenge.

How have you done it in the past?

The food I'm not so worried about. Noodles for a week can fit in a handbag. But water for a week? I guess maybe I'm too luxuriously minded but I also like some alcohol. Oh well, when in Rome ... <_<

I guess it's all psychedelics based so people just don't eat :mellow:^_^

In that case I just hope those vendors won't be hard to find B)

How's a good way to bring all the stuff with you? I mean, bringing water alone for a week in the desert sounds like a challenge.

If you are flying - rent a car in Reno. Buy whatever you need in Reno and haul it w/you :)

How have you done it in the past?

We haul everything w/us for 2000 miles (except water - Reno :).

The food I'm not so worried about. Noodles for a week can fit in a handbag. But water for a week? I guess maybe I'm too luxuriously minded but I also like some alcohol. Oh well, when in Rome ... <_<

You won't eat that much. More water - less food :) Water - you have to have approx. 2gal. per day.

Hey if you're in Reno you should hit me up! If Im in town that is. I live in Reno!

For groceries, most Burners go to the Albertsons on Keystone Avenue, its right off the freeway, on teh Keystone exit, and is probably the easiest to find, and easiest to get on/off the freeway. Unless you're coming from the east... Also, Twin City Surplus has parachutes, tents, huge water containers, and all sorts of other military surplus stuff, so if you need any of that sort of thing you should check it out. And, check here: http://renoburners.tribe.net , they can direct you to the best stuff in town, whatever you're looking for.

Im planning on going to the AUM Festival rather than Burning Man...

(funny, Ive lived in Nevada, less than 2 hours from the Playa, for more than 16 years and Ive never been to BM...)

Yeah, with a car a lot of practical problems would be dealt with but it sounds expensive (also since I would be the only one to pay for it).

How much would renting a car for, say 9 days, add up to approx?

And how's it usually done - you come there with all your stuff or people also leave bm to purchase supplies? If the latter is the case funnily it feels less excessive to rent a car since I would actually use it and not just have it stucked up in the desert.

Which reminds me, does the weather fuck up the cars' paint? Since I would rent it I really could do without an extra invoice for a new paint!!

I hope you can bear with all my questions. I probably could find the answers on the bm site but you seem to know what you're talking about :)

Yeah, with a car a lot of practical problems would be dealt with but it sounds expensive (also since I would be the only one to pay for it).

How much would renting a car for, say 9 days, add up to approx?

And how's it usually done - you come there with all your stuff or people also leave bm to purchase supplies? If the latter is the case funnily it feels less excessive to rent a car since I would actually use it and not just have it stucked up in the desert.

Not sure. Prolly about $150 but don't quote me on that. Check sites like enterprise rent a car, avis or whatever is available@Reno's airport. I suggest you should check eplaya forum too - there are plenty of people who are looking/offering the ride.

Yes you can leave playa to get whatever you run out of but it will cost you extra $35 every time you leave.

Which reminds me, does the weather fuck up the cars' paint? Since I would rent it I really could do without an extra invoice for a new paint!!

Dust won't damage it. Poorly installed plastic cover will. I don't use anything :) Whole car will be covered in dust. And it will look REALLY BAD :) Inside too :) So prepare for a lot of cleaning :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So if anyone is reading this I am in Chicago now and going to Reno Friday.

I will be camping with the Quixotes Cabaret Club Bar (QCCB) at 7:30 and Desert.

At night I should be easy to recognize ... :ph34r:

I CANTS WAIT

Have a blast man! :posford:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

wow. when i first heard what the art theme for next year was, I thought it was a joke.

turns out that's not the case. burning man really is dead. sorry I never got the chance to go.

http://www.burningman.com/art_of_burningman/bm08_theme.html

Man, what where they thinking by going for this theme? :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

wow. when i first heard what the art theme for next year was, I thought it was a joke.

turns out that's not the case. burning man really is dead. sorry I never got the chance to go.

http://www.burningman.com/art_of_burningman/bm08_theme.html

Man, what where they thinking by going for this theme? :huh:

I actually think that the theme is pretty good. I suppose it allows for Americans to reflect upon and renegotiate their identities in the New World order. Sure enough, I would personally trip out completely if I attended...