what monitors do you use?

I have a pair of Adam A7

and I am loving them

technical comparisons are all over the internet but hear this from the first mouth

they re great,

I was looking at genelecs but around the same quality you ve to pay a lot more to genelec

I wasnt sure of a7 as they were kind of introductory adam monitors but they blew my socks off

you gotto check them out

agreed,i listened to those a few months ago,excellent price-quality relation.

the adam tweeter... ^_^

Adam A7

decent speakers, imo very detailed and transparent highs and mids, bass is also quite punchy, though p11, p22 or an additional sub would be better.

For their price a very good monitor. More bass = more expensive.

Adam A7

decent speakers, imo very detailed and transparent highs and mids, bass is also quite punchy, though p11, p22 or an additional sub would be better.

For their price a very good monitor. More bass = more expensive.

Excellent choice... I've heard them, would like to eventually replace my already pretty good (for their price) Event TR5s. Currently have them paired to an Adam Sub 8, and want more of that Adam sound! :drama:

So how well did the mondotraps help sort out the low end response in your room? Are they worth the money?

Sorry for slightly misleading you. The picture IS of the mondo traps but I just grabbed that one from the RealTraps site because I liked how that one portrayed the traps. That said, I have the mini and micro traps. They are basically the same thing in terms of appearance. The only difference is their thickness.

Now on to the question. I absolutely love them. I may have been able to acheive the same final affect with other materials but the installation of these was an absolute dream and the end result is remarkable. They are installed in a 10' X 15' room with sheetrock walls and the rear wall is layered with Sheetblock and Green Glue for sound insulation to the adjacent room.

While installing, I couldn't really hear much of a difference with the first 2 hung up, but once I got to 4 there was definitely a difference. By the end, just walking into the room you hear a differnce in the lack of ambient sounds. The room is quieter than the hallway into the room and this is not because of the sound proofing. An identical room is right next to my studio (sharing the same sound insulated wall) and you do not hear the difference walking into that room. The simplest test that I love to show people when coming into the studio is to have them clap their hands in the studio and then go into the identical room. The room without the Traps has this zinging sound after clapping whereas the studio basically does not. I say basically because there is still some action in the room as not every inch has been treated, but the reduction is drastic.

On to the bass question. I had just finished up mastering a project prior to treating the studio. As a reference, I went back and listened to my work. Immediately I wanted to go back and redo the entire project as I was able to hear things I hadn't previously. Especially on the bass end of the tracks. The original work wasn't bad, but if I had heard what I can now, I would have done some things a little differently.

I can't say if they are worth it for you to spend the money as they ARE expensive. There are a lot of companies out there offering many kinds of sound treatment options and will give varying results depending on what you select and the room you are treating. Do your research to see what will best fit your needs. One place to learn more about sound treatment is http://www.recording.org/forum-34.html

One final thought is that for someone who had never installed sound treatment before, RealTraps made it an easy project to get right the first time. (I sound like an advertisement, but I guess if I didn't like them as much as I do I wouldn't be giving this type of review.)

• 5 months later...

I am currently evaluating a couple of Genelec 8240As. They sound extremely good, but the coolest thing was the calibration software that came with. A mic is placed in front of them in a calculated spot (the triangle thing), the program generates a sine-sweep through the whole registry and the DSP in the monitors calculates what frequencies need to be cut or boosted, according to your room.

In the end you get a curve, showing your rooms acoustics. Excellent, too bad they're so expensive. I am not sure whether they are worth the €1500 each or not.

Does the mic come with the speakers or do you have to use your own? I am curious because every mic has different properties, so if you use your own mic I am curious how they could account for how the mic pics up different frequencies.