How to remix a track... I'm confused

Here is a question I always wanted to ask.

How can you remix a track? I mean don't you need to have the original project file for such a thing?

Or how some new artists remix old tracks? How they do that? Only from an audio file? :huh:

Let's suppose I want to remix an old Astral track from the 96 era, how can I do that?

I suggest you have first of all to contact the artist you want to make the remix of the track you like.

Maybe you get some info about what that track mean to them.

Get the permission to remix it, and the audio files.

Now use your imagination and creativity.How do you want this track to sound now?

When you are ready send the remix to the artists and ask them how do they find it.

If it is good and they like it, maybe there are many posibilities this remixed track you made to be released.

I think this is the way for me, what do other guys think about it?

I don't want to remix a track by myself, I'm just curious.

I guess having the mixdown of all individual tracks answers to my question.

But still I find hard to understand how some artists can have access to that. For example they're a lot of remixes from really old tracks not even psy, The Prodigy for example. I don't think that they really gave the mixdown to all these artists to remix their tracks.

Maybe there's a way to divide the audio file in individual tracks by yourself or something? :unsure:

I don't want to remix a track by myself, I'm just curious.

I guess having the mixdown of all individual tracks answers to my question.

But still I find hard to understand how some artists can have access to that. For example they're a lot of remixes from really old tracks not even psy, The Prodigy for example. I don't think that they really gave the mixdown to all these artists to remix their tracks.

Maybe there's a way to divide the audio file in individual tracks by yourself or something? :unsure:

eq.

i´ve never done it myself, but i think it should be possible to cut (notch out) stuff like bass and drums and use only the leads... then put in your own bass and drums.

or whatever you want to remix.

actually i dont know if people really do this... it seems to be the only way if you dont have all individual tracks of a mixdown though.

eq.

i´ve never done it myself, but i think it should be possible to notch out stuff like bass and drums and use only the leads... then put in your own bass and drums.

or whatever you want to remix.

actually i dont know if people really do this... it seems to be the only way if you dont have all individual tracks of a mixdown though.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Damn, electronic music is pain in the ass! :D

The short answer to that is no, a sound has harmonics that stay if you lo/mid/hi cut....

I have a bunch of acapellas which i could use for a remix and play the melodies and drums with my own sounds, but i think the normal is to get the original multitrack.

Theres this danish guy who remixed a bob marley tune, he got the original multitrack from the record company who own that recording.

There are a few ways to remix a track.

If you're using the same program like the original track (Cubase makes 90% of the market today, so it's not that uncommon) the artist can just send you the original file and you do with it whatever you want.

He can send you only midi files or only wavs.

Sometimes for old track the original is lost and you'll have to recreate the entire thing from scratch.

So many ways..

i always thought remixing was as simple as copying the melody the person made and make a new track with, and also copying notable things [like vocals or certain sounds, etc]...

Withor without the artists permission, sence your not doing anyhting illegal [unless you copy the vocals, of course] You cannot copy right a melody. Or a sound [you can copy right a sound file etc..but not an actual sound]

and useualy you can do that by simply listening to the track be ear and remakeing it in your flavor of sequencer