How many of you are part of the MCPS/STIM..

Are you?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Are you part of any organisation like RIAA?

• Yes.
    • No.

I am a member, as many of my productions have been published. Played in tv, radio etc..

And if you release a record or feature on compilations, you get somethink called "mechanical rights". That expression makes me think of machines and bolts and robots. I don't really know what it is, but I like it, especially when the check from these guys comes. :)

Happy weekend!

You are also aware that this is why small time labels have to press their prices up, in order to get some money out of their products, right?

Uhm, ok..?

You know that if I release a record with you on it and just because you are part of the RIAA, I have to pay 13% per track or 10% per whole cd to the RIAA? Other than that I have to pay taxes, and I have to pay shit loads of other things... I guess this is something that artists never think about... (I know I didn't!).

I'm a member of the MCPS in the UK. Why? Mechanicals. Unfortunately I haven't notified them of any of our works for about 8 years, which means when I finally do we should get a nice fat cheque.

You know that if I release a record with you on it and just because you are part of the RIAA, I have to pay 13% per track or 10% per whole cd to the RIAA? Other than that I have to pay taxes, and I have to pay shit loads of other things... I guess this is something that artists never think about... (I know I didn't!).

I thought this is calculated per track.

If there is a track which I don't sign with RIAA then it doesn't count for all the taxes and crap.

Hmm yes I see what you mean.. But I guess it depends on from what view you are looking at it. If you are looking from a small label point of view, the of course you don't appreciate these kind of institutions.

From a producers point of view though, its rather obvious that it is completely the other way around.

And from a small time producers view as well... so its only the famous ones that really get any money in the end. Because as I understand it, the artist doesn't get any money unless its played on the radio or licensed away to some other label. Right?

I wonder what would happen, if you have a label, but let the owner of the tracks still be the publisher, and own all the rights to the tracks... worth looking into... since everyone would benefit from it in the end.

I really feel like we need a lawyer now, because I refuse to pay to the RIAA... Bunch of wankers!

No. If anyone ever decided my music was worth releasing or using for something, there is no way I would allow it if it required association with the RIAA. I also refuse to give my money to a member of the RIAA. When I want to buy a CD, I check the RIAA's website to see if the label is a member. If it is, I don't buy it, or I buy it used. I will not give money to an organization that sues it's own customers.

http://www.boycott-riaa.com

Small point, but I think you are confusing RIAA with royalty collection groups like ASCAP and such in the US. RIAA is an organization only for companies and it is impossible for artists to join RIAA.

You talking to me or someone else?

FYI: here's the RIAA list of members: http://www.riaa.com/about/members/default.asp

There's individual artists on there.

I was talking to Nemo actually. The fees he is discussing are usually what are taken for copyright royalties, which are handled by different groups, such as ASCAP. RIAA is a group by for for the big five labels. I wouldn't be surprised if they are working with the copyroght royalty collecting agencies, but they are technically a different thing. I can't load that link you posted for some reasons, but artists have no real reason to "join" RIAA per se, although I'm sure many "support" it.

Maybe the RIAA was a bad example sorry, I mean the equivalent of the MCPS (UK) STIM (SE) etc etc. What I don't understand is why we should pay them anything? Question here is, who really benefits from this? Another question is, wouldn't associations like these actually also be the reason for all those small labels having to close all the time?

I just realized why Beatport and the likes are so damn expensive... they HAVE TO in order to survive. I mean common, music is for the people and for the musicians. Music lovers should not have to pay EXTRA and EXTRA just because of some stupid invention. Music is one of the most expensive joy that I have in my life at the moment, and I really feel like it shouldn't be like that. To be honest, it SICKENS me to have to pay 20 Euro for a fucking cd (and at the same time you pay 17 euro for the same thing as a download, even more SICKENING!)

Bah, we have to find a way around all this bullcrap, because in the end, people will stop buying music all together, and the artists will not survive. Maybe that is good though, maybe that will bring more live performances to the acts again. I mean, at the end of the day, we all got into music to perform it, right?

supergroover says:

No. If anyone ever decided my music was worth releasing or using for something, there is no way I would allow it if it required association with the RIAA. I also refuse to give my money to a member of the RIAA. When I want to buy a CD, I check the RIAA's website to see if the label is a member. If it is, I don't buy it, or I buy it used. I will not give money to an organization that sues it's own customers.

as a company that wants to press a cd in a legit and good quality pressingplant you HAVE to be a member to be able to clear the tracks/artists that you want to put on that disc. otherwise the pressing plant will not press it for you. strange but true. so as a legit record company you have to be a member in order to release anything. so your idea sounds nice but misses its goal imho.

nemo take a look here its dutch but has loads of and downloadable pdfs. otherwise check the swedish alternative i am sure it works pretty much the same way. it is complicated but makes sense in general. for some cases it does not make sense and that sucks. Nowadays the composer and performer are usually the same (especially in electronic music) which was not the case with most music a while ago. this means labels have to pay for composer and performer thus paying twice for the same piece of music. But only if the artist is a part of any such organisation in his country.

Who said you have to be a member?

Is there a law that forces you to be a part of this organization if you wanna release music?

Nope I dont think there is a law that says you have to be part of it :)

supergroover says:

as a company that wants to press a cd in a legit and good quality pressingplant you HAVE to be a member to be able to clear the tracks/artists that you want to put on that disc. otherwise the pressing plant will not press it for you. strange but true. so as a legit record company you have to be a member in order to release anything. so your idea sounds nice but misses its goal imho.

nemo take a look here its dutch but has loads of and downloadable pdfs. otherwise check the swedish alternative i am sure it works pretty much the same way. it is complicated but makes sense in general. for some cases it does not make sense and that sucks. Nowadays the composer and performer are usually the same (especially in electronic music) which was not the case with most music a while ago. this means labels have to pay for composer and performer thus paying twice for the same piece of music. But only if the artist is a part of any such organisation in his country.

So, going NET releases would boycott stuck up in the arse pressing plants that work FOR the corporate bastards! :)

well in alot (if not most) cases it is a good thing that rights are taken care of. In some instances however it is annoying that pressing plants will not print without consulting buma/stemra or any other nondutch equivalent. Saying they are stuck in the arse is a bit too much imho. and same goes for boycotting...

you are free to find one in yasens corrupt bulgaria :P

GUYSSSSS,

HELLOOOOO, we are talking about psytrance with minus 8( you read it right -8) percent sales in the music market. No ass, would give us any money but our community, and that if they buy the music :blink:

If you wamt money, you should produce pop shit or sum...hehe