Ableton over FL?

Are there any inherent advantages with Ableton live over FL studio when it comes to trance production? Somehow I get the feeling that FL is generally being looked down upon, any substance to this? Basically, Im wondering if its worth switching to Ableton, or any other if its advised, from FL.

Peace out.

Ableton Live is like its name suggests made for live performances. So this means if you like to produce music "live" with a midi controller/keyboard, or even to play some live gigs, Ableton is a good choice. FL is often called a program for beginners because of its "cheap looking" interface. Yes, FL is probably the best sequencer program if youre a beginner, but it can do almost everything a professional tool can do. FL also works in a very intuitive way. I always say, if you want to get your ideas into sound fast, use FL.

Which sequencer you use is just a matter of your personal preference. Someone made this very good comparison to cars: Some might look better than others and have more features than others, but all of them get their job done and take you from A to B.

FL is a great program but one area it lacks in is audio editing. This is where programs like Cubase have a great advantage with its 'offline processing' feature. Ableton is also good for certain stuff. For instance you can drop pretty much any loop into your project and easily time stretch it to the bpm of your project.

At the end of the day its not really the program its how you use them, everyone has their own preferences. I started out using FL for two years but there came a point where i felt my creativity was being limited because of its audio editing features, i moved to Cubase & never looked back!

If you move to Cubase you can still rewire ableton or FL to it & be able to use them so its not like you have to completely ditch the program. If you can't do without certain features of a program just rewire it & use it with the host sequencer.

Some might look better than others and have more features than others, but all of them get their job done and take you from A to B.

but some do that faster or more comfortable then others ;)

check out what i wrote about Ableton Live in this thread

FL is a great program but one area it lacks in is audio editing.

that was till fl6...but fl7 now has edison...and it is a powerful audio editor....i've used it myself and also the parametric eq2 makes it even more powerful

• 2 weeks later...

everything ableton can do, fruityloops could do it before ableton gained said feature. [everyhting ableton does, furity did it first basicly]..come on..i thought everyone knew that O.O i tried ableton a few times, and i didn't like the fact that what takes 2 mouse clicks in fruity, takes 40 or 50 in ableton, and no, thsoe extra clicks did not add anything extra [not extra custimization or anything to what ever i was doing]

plus, its not possiable to do what you can do with fruitys piano roll..in ableton. [i didn't even see a piano roll or sequencer of any type in ableton]

Ableton Live has piano roll, man ;)

And in Live you have one track for each opened vst, not to write a millions of paterns like in FL, you change patterns in one track

Posted Image

And it's great for automatisations.

PEACE

+1

and you dont need a step sequencer... you sequence everything with midi (sampler) or just wav files.

furthermore automisation is uber easy ;)

everything ableton can do, fruityloops could do it before ableton gained said feature. [everyhting ableton does, furity did it first basicly]..come on..i thought everyone knew that O.O i tried ableton a few times, and i didn't like the fact that what takes 2 mouse clicks in fruity, takes 40 or 50 in ableton, and no, thsoe extra clicks did not add anything extra [not extra custimization or anything to what ever i was doing]

plus, its not possiable to do what you can do with fruitys piano roll..in ableton. [i didn't even see a piano roll or sequencer of any type in ableton]

what are those things you have to click 40-50 times :huh: ?

samples are damn near obsolete..and with midi, its impossiable to get mathmaticly perfect notes [people actualy record live notes in thier songs?..wow] I have midi keyboard, but i use it to make melodies etc, but i never actually use it to input the melody into my sequencer. thats crazy IMHO

I am working on Ableton for some weeks now. I would say it sounds cleaner as FL, but 'the Studio' has some nice helpers.

For example the GhostChannels in piano roll or the automatic drawing and setting of LFOs.

Ableton looks and feels like a typical sample sequencer like Nuendo or Logic.

Fl Studio is based on a real hardware sequencer, and it has also a good LivePlaying modus.

The question is which one of them has a good sound and which of them do You love to use ;)

samples are damn near obsolete..and with midi, its impossiable to get mathmaticly perfect notes [people actualy record live notes in thier songs?..wow] I have midi keyboard, but i use it to make melodies etc, but i never actually use it to input the melody into my sequencer. thats crazy IMHO

when some body tells me, arrange it well n fast dude..... even its about arranging the dish i will go for FL

Arranging in ableton with mouse really sucks. cheap lookin piano roll, length cannot be arranged accurately.

and you dont need a step sequencer... you sequence everything with midi (sampler) or just wav files.

furthermore automisation is uber easy ;)

Step sequencer is a advantage not a disadvantage. u can sequence with midi in FL also. actually u can produce entire track on a single pattern of FL. this way its similer to workin with other sequencers.

[quote name='Gaffel' date='Mar 25 2007, 07:25 AM' post='716857

and it has also a good LivePlaying modus.

Now thats where i am confused. which one to use for live. In abl i found that some controls(cut off n resonance :unsure: ) of vst is not appering down der when i want to assign some to midi controller. For me they are the most important controls for playin live.but i can do it in FL. n we also knows that starting da FL loading samples n vsts in FL takes only a little time compared to ABL. thats also good when we r playin live especially if we had to re open da sequencer. In FL i can set the buffer length by playing the nots with midi key board. this is also help full to get the proper buffer position when i change to a different vst.

I know their are many other factors i have to consider for live. for dat i should do it n see :)

In abl i found that some controls(cut off n resonance :unsure: ) of vst is not appering down der when i want to assign some to midi controller. For me they are the most important controls for playin live.

well, yes sometimes automation parameters are messed up, all important parameters are there, but its hard to find them sometimes :D

length cannot be arranged accurately.

eh? you can. just type in the desired number.

but i never actually use it to input the melody into my sequencer. thats crazy IMHO

but thats how (live) music is made..imo