Some music I've been listening to.

It's about time to tell y'all about some music I've been listening to lately. I miss writing reviews like I used to, but I guess most of this stuff isn't psytrance and doesn't really belong in the reviews section. So here we go, a collection of old and new tracks that have been passing through my mp3-player:

Josh Wink - Higher State of Consciousness (Tweakin Acid Mix) - Strictly Rhythm

I re-discovered this old favorite of mine when Beatport started selling the old Strictly Rhythm Catalogue a while ago. And after listening to it again a couple of times, I have come to the conclusion that it is probably the quitesential electronic dance music track of all times. Now I'm not saying it is the best, nor the best produced nor the greatest composition, but it takes everything that makes electronic dance music so unique and great and magnifies each of these element to an amazing, mindblowing degree.

So let's look at these elements: It is simple. There are just a few basic sounds, the kicks, percussion, two 303 lines, and a sample. Yet it is not minimal at all, there's hell of a lot going on. No klicker-klacker, as we say here in Germany. Which takes me to the next element. The arc, or the story. With these few elements, Josh Wink tells the most basic of all techno stories. Beat starts, 303 comes in, break, the 303 builds the tension to an unbearable degree, kick starts to come back with an almost orgasmic effect and the 303 goes berserk, little break, the 303 starts talking and telling a story, 303 stops, end. Just a few elements, a simple story, and it works. Why? Because it is effective I remember back in the day, people would start screaming and jumping and crying whenever this track played. It was absolute mayhem. And im sure the same would happen nowadays. Even when I listen to Higher State of Consciousness out of my laptop speakers I wanna start jumping and screaming. And last but not least, the 303!!!!! This is IMHO the best use of the coolest and most important "techno instrument" EVAAARGHHHH! Hardfloor ain't bad either, but they have never created a 303 line like this. It raises the tension to an unbearable level, and in the end it starts to talk like a person.

The other day, as I was listening to this track, I realized that this 303 is just like my mother when she gets pissed off and starts yelling at me. First she gets louder and louder, then she errupts into a complete frenzy, then she quiets down for a bit, only to re-errupt into a long and illogical explanation of why she is so pissed off. So there you have it, the mother of all techno tracks. Right here.

Green Velvet - La la Land - Relief Records

Another old favorite I rediscovered. Back when it came out I was more into the various different remixes, but now I do realize the original cannot be beaten. Probably because in the meantime I have been to La La Land myself a few times too many so I really do "feel him"...It's those little pills.....until they kill a million braincells

Human Blue - MYstyraYs (or however you spell that) Experience - Transient

Talking about old favorites, Human Blue definitely used to be one of them. Now, a few months too late, I got my hands on his new album, and I must say it's pretty awesome. Especially for working out on the bycycle and such. Great melodies, not full-onish, at least most songs, and a very positive happy vibe. Just happy feel good music from the cheesy side of life, but very well done.

Estroe - Driven - Connaisseur Superieur

Back to minimal territory. Actually, I really don't understand why everything is called minimal these days. When I think minimal I think about Mike Ink, Plastikman or such, not about music of this kind. Even though this is filed everywhere in the minimal category, there is actually a lot going on. Imagine a long worm with thousands of little feet dipped in lysergic acid that enters through your ear and slowly crawls into your brain. Once inside, it twists its way through the place where your memory sits, passes by the spot where the happy feelings are, on to deeper territories to become one with the part of your anatomy scientists commonly refer to as the reptilian brain. And there it rotates and turns and contracts and convulses and the thousands of little feet tickle the millions of nerves bundled here ready to travel to the rest of your body having a warm fuzzy shiver aboard that you immediately feel running down your spine. Does that sound minimal to you?

Andrea Doria - Yaoo (Minilogue Remix) - Great Stuff Recordings

As most of you know Minilogue aka Son Kite has been making so-called "minimal techno" for quite some time now, with great success, but it was always very obvious that they have their roots in trance music. This is probably their first production that is truely minimal in its original sense. Klicker-Klacker all the way. Except a few elements not much is left of the original, which is good, because the aforementioned Original Mix is one particularly vile and obnoxious piece of Electro-House crap. Anyways, one could argue this remix doesn't really go anywhere, but why would you want to go anywhere when you can stay? And if you can stay and be lazy, why not take time to enjoy the meticulous production, the klickers and the klackers, the bleeps and the bloops, the klings and the klongs, and the subtle pads that creep up from behind. Yes, you heard me right, pads. You know how they say in that ghetto movie, I think it's "Menace II Society", that you can take the brother out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the brother? You can take the Son Kite out of the trance scene, but you can't take the trance out of the Son Kite.

Solieb - Everything

Just keep that last thought about Son Kite in mind for a bit, because I think the the same goes for Oliver Lieb, aka LSG or Solieb. Thanks to Nemos post about the free LSG album, I was made aware of the fact that Oliver Lieb produces under the name Solieb now. I bought some of his tracks from Beatport yesterday, and I must they they are all pretty awesome. I havent had enough time to listen to them in detail yet, so I won't go into the specific tracks. But even though he changed his style to more minimal sounds, one can hear his knack for creating atmospheres and building really entrancing soundscapes. Cool stuff and thanks to Nemo once again for pointing me in that direction.

Holy Ghost Inc. - Mad Monks on Zinc (Martin Buttrich Remix) - Flying Circus

And come to think of it, I'm no different than Son Kite or Oliver Lieb. I'm sick the of usual formulaic trance, be it psy, proggy or normal, but I look for a trancey feel in almost all music I listen to. Like a traveller who left his native country because he is sick of it, yet he always looks for things that remind him of home wherever he might be on the globe. One of the guys in the techno scene who always give me that warm fuzzy feeling of trancyness is Martin Buttrich. He is also the guy behind all of Loco Dice's productions, but now he produces under his real name as well. Whatever he does, it is always good. I have yet to hear a bad track from him. This particular remix is extremely deep and hypnotic, with some very subtle oriental wailing in the background, a few quiet drawn-out sirens, in short trance in the truest sense of the word.

Aril Brikha - Berghain - Kompakt

Talking about "True Trance", this one is pretty close. The term "understated euphoria" comes to mind. One of those tracks that when played at 10am in the morning, it will get all the E-Tards back on the dacefloor for one last collective hug before everyone goes home. It doesn't really have a melody, but it just oozes warmth and fuzzyness, like laying your head to sleep on a nice pair of real D-Cups after a long and excessive night of partying. The A-Side called "Winter" ain't bad either, but it's a little more obvious and less subtle.

So there, I wrote too much once again, but I get carried away sometimes. Also check out the Hug album Heroes on K2, I don't know what to make of it really. Some tracks are great, but they all sound alike, but each on their own they are pretty awesome. Especially the title track.

If you read these rambling of a disturbed, insecure and most importantly bored mind in one sitting, I'm impressed. You deserve a medal.

Some very nice stuff in here. I'm just getting into that minimal (which is not sounding minimal at all to me but whatever... :P) and I have to say I really like the stuff you suggest. Didn't find the Aril Brikha track you wrote about but the Winter EP sounds very beautiful too. This will for sure be included in my next order. Same for the Estroe and the Mad Ghost Inc vinyl.

I guess I have to check out your best of 2006 thread too, maybe I'll like some more of your stuff. :)

Some very nice stuff in here. I'm just getting into that minimal (which is not sounding minimal at all to me but whatever... :P) and I have to say I really like the stuff you suggest. Didn't find the Aril Brikha track you wrote about but the Winter EP sounds very beautiful too. This will for sure be included in my next order. Same for the Estroe and the Mad Ghost Inc vinyl.

I guess I have to check out your best of 2006 thread too, maybe I'll like some more of your stuff. :)

Thanks!

That's exactly my point, most things that are considered minimal techno are not minimal at all, they are actually quite maximal, and very melodic. I dont know why its called minimal. About the Estroe and Mad Monks remix, they are very slow, be aware of that, but they are very beautiful, I think. From my 2006 recommendations, check out that Gregor Tresher track, Im sure you'll like it. You might also like Rekleiner - The State of Things, its a little older, but awesome and melodic.

The Aril Brikha - Berghain track is the B-side of the Winter EP, btw.

Human Blue - MYstyraYs (or however you spell that) Experience - Transient

Talking about old favorites, Human Blue definitely used to be one of them. Now, a few months too late, I got my hands on his new album, and I must say it's pretty awesome. Especially for working out on the bycycle and such. Great melodies, not full-onish, at least most songs, and a very positive happy vibe. Just happy feel good music from the cheesy side of life, but very well done.

Saw him live one month ago ... I'm sure he played some stuff from that. I pre-listened that release before going to see him to hear what to expect and I liked the samples ... liked his set too :)

Thanks!

That's exactly my point, most things that are considered minimal techno are not minimal at all, they are actually quite maximal, and very melodic. I dont know why its called minimal. About the Estroe and Mad Monks remix, they are very slow, be aware of that, but they are very beautiful, I think. From my 2006 recommendations, check out that Gregor Tresher track, Im sure you'll like it. You might also like Rekleiner - The State of Things, its a little older, but awesome and melodic.

The Aril Brikha - Berghain track is the B-side of the Winter EP, btw.

I really hated minimal back in the days when it started to come out of the closet (I guess you remember that :P ) but it really sounded different than the stuff from today. There are some minimalistic tracks that I don't get but there is so much melodic and even psychedelic sounding stuff that it made me feel like a vinyl-virgin again after checking out those tracks.

I don't mind slow tracks and as I've said I'll look for your old thread and check out the tracks. Btw. do you know any of those vinyls, they were my last order:

Guy Gerber & Shlomi Aber - Sea Of Sand

http://www.discogs.com/release/790262

Dominik Eulberg - Bionik

http://www.discogs.com/release/827545

Marc Romboy vs. Stephan Bodzin - Atlas / Hyperion

http://www.discogs.com/release/740165

Stephan Bodzin - Valentine

http://www.discogs.com/release/759123

Extrawelt - Titelheld

http://www.discogs.com/release/688344

Oxia - Speicher 34

http://www.discogs.com/release/648476

I especialy like the Guy Gerber & Shlomi Aber track, very melodic but in a hypnotic way. Another bunch of vinyls is supposed to arrive today or on Monday, can't wait to get them. Nemo said this if I remember right and he is quite right: minimal is the new trance!

It's about time to tell y'all about some music I've been listening to lately. I miss writing reviews like I used to, but I guess most of this stuff isn't psytrance and doesn't really belong in the reviews section. So here we go, a collection of old and new tracks that have been passing through my mp3-player:

I re-discovered this old favorite of mine when Beatport started selling the old Strictly Rhythm Catalogue a while ago. And after listening to it again a couple of times, I have come to the conclusion that it is probably the quitesential electronic dance music track of all times. Now I'm not saying it is the best, nor the best produced nor the greatest composition, but it takes everything that makes electronic dance music so unique and great and magnifies each of these element to an amazing, mindblowing degree.

So let's look at these elements: It is simple. There are just a few basic sounds, the kicks, percussion, two 303 lines, and a sample. Yet it is not minimal at all, there's hell of a lot going on. No klicker-klacker, as we say here in Germany. Which takes me to the next element. The arc, or the story. With these few elements, Josh Wink tells the most basic of all techno stories. Beat starts, 303 comes in, break, the 303 builds the tension to an unbearable degree, kick starts to come back with an almost orgasmic effect and the 303 goes berserk, little break, the 303 starts talking and telling a story, 303 stops, end. Just a few elements, a simple story, and it works. Why? Because it is effective I remember back in the day, people would start screaming and jumping and crying whenever this track played. It was absolute mayhem. And im sure the same would happen nowadays. Even when I listen to Higher State of Consciousness out of my laptop speakers I wanna start jumping and screaming. And last but not least, the 303!!!!! This is IMHO the best use of the coolest and most important "techno instrument" EVAAARGHHHH! Hardfloor ain't bad either, but they have never created a 303 line like this. It raises the tension to an unbearable level, and in the end it starts to talk like a person.

The other day, as I was listening to this track, I realized that this 303 is just like my mother when she gets pissed off and starts yelling at me. First she gets louder and louder, then she errupts into a complete frenzy, then she quiets down for a bit, only to re-errupt into a long and illogical explanation of why she is so pissed off. So there you have it, the mother of all techno tracks. Right here.

Yes I tend to agree with you there, another rather screamy acid tracks would be Acid Air Raid by Solar Quest. Comparing your mom with a 303 is rather interessting, and now that you mention it, thats my ex steppmother in a nutshell. BITCH!

Other than that, I will be checking out some of the other stuff mentioned :) thanks for sharing your thoughts GSH (Appreciated as always!)

Yes I tend to agree with you there, another rather screamy acid tracks would be Acid Air Raid by Solar Quest. Comparing your mom with a 303 is rather interessting, and now that you mention it, thats my ex steppmother in a nutshell. BITCH!

Other than that, I will be checking out some of the other stuff mentioned :) thanks for sharing your thoughts GSH (Appreciated as always!)

Thanks again to you for pointing me towards Oliver Liebs new stuff, Im really getting into it.

Just to clear one thing up, my mum isn't a bitch, she's usually very nice. She's more like a dormant volcano, quiet and fuming, but once in a while the pressure below the surface gets too big and she goes completely Krakatoa on the whole family. My dad usually just takes a walk on these occasions, wise man that he is, and leaves the kids, or in most cases me, to calm her down.

To Tatsu, I have all those tracks you ordered, good choices! If you are into stuff like that, I'll give you a few other recommendations. Just of the top of my head, go to Beatport and listen to the whole Catalogue of the Connaisseur label, including their sublabel Connaisseur Superieur. It's owned by Chardronnet, all of his stuff is cool, Too. Check out the label Boxer, Platzhirsch, especially everything from Dominik Eulbergs alter ego Rocco Branco, and of course the one and only "Doppelwhipper" by Gabriel Ananda. Traum Records (the new Moonbeam is good) and MBF records (My Best Friend) are always a good call.You will definitely like the groups Einmusik, Pelle Buys, Peter Grummich (check out his track "Rave D'amour", beautiful!!!), Pop No Name, Paul Kalkbrenner (!!!), oh and I almost forgot, everything by Geiger or Nass, it's the same guy, he's awesome!!!! He releases on the labels Firm and Teile, but they are not on Beatport, only Kompakt-mp3.net. And Superpitcher of course, but I"m sure you know him already.

Thats it for now, mayne Ill think of other stuff later.

Green Velvet - La la Land - Relief Records

Another old favorite I rediscovered. Back when it came out I was more into the various different remixes, but now I do realize the original cannot be beaten. Probably because in the meantime I have been to La La Land myself a few times too many so I really do "feel him"...It's those little pills.....until they kill a million braincells

Seriously, comparing the 303 with your mom is simply put a stroke of genius. A timeless tune however.

On the other hand, La La Land was cool for the first 100 times. Literary. Then I got tired of it, and it's been years since I last heard it, and I think years are still going to pass by until I play it again!

Yes I tend to agree with you there, another rather screamy acid tracks would be Acid Air Raid by Solar Quest.

Acid Air Raid... Is anything else necessary? If anything can take on Wink's insane usage of the 303, this is it. Look no further.

Thanks a lot for those recommendations, I really appreaciate it! :) I'm such a noob in that style but I really love digging for new vinyls! I will see what I can find on web-records from the stuff you mention. I'm still not really into mp3 downloading since I can't burn them on CD (ok, I have my mp3-player, maybe I will try beatport... :ph34r: ) so vinyl is the way to go for me. Btw. do you now a good (means with a cool prelistening system) online record shop for minimal? I always use web-records since they're located in Germany and ship rather fast.

Thanks again to you for pointing me towards Oliver Liebs new stuff, Im really getting into it.

Just to clear one thing up, my mum isn't a bitch, she's usually very nice. She's more like a dormant volcano, quiet and fuming, but once in a while the pressure below the surface gets too big and she goes completely Krakatoa on the whole family. My dad usually just takes a walk on these occasions, wise man that he is, and leaves the kids, or in most cases me, to calm her down.

To Tatsu, I have all those tracks you ordered, good choices! If you are into stuff like that, I'll give you a few other recommendations. Just of the top of my head, go to Beatport and listen to the whole Catalogue of the Connaisseur label, including their sublabel Connaisseur Superieur. It's owned by Chardronnet, all of his stuff is cool, Too. Check out the label Boxer, Platzhirsch, especially everything from Dominik Eulbergs alter ego Rocco Branco, and of course the one and only "Doppelwhipper" by Gabriel Ananda. Traum Records (the new Moonbeam is good) and MBF records (My Best Friend) are always a good call.You will definitely like the groups Einmusik, Pelle Buys, Peter Grummich (check out his track "Rave D'amour", beautiful!!!), Pop No Name, Paul Kalkbrenner (!!!), oh and I almost forgot, everything by Geiger or Nass, it's the same guy, he's awesome!!!! He releases on the labels Firm and Teile, but they are not on Beatport, only Kompakt-mp3.net. And Superpitcher of course, but I"m sure you know him already.

Thats it for now, mayne Ill think of other stuff later.

Haha, I didnt think you said that she was a bitch, i merely pointed out that my ex stepmother had the same tendencies but SHE was a bitch! :)

Thanks to GSH I've just ordered vinyls for 70 Euros, will have to wait until the end of March until I get them:

3813830 | L 1 | 12 Inch | nasty & tresher | the mad real world |

7.40 EURO

3832448 | L 1 | 12 Inch | aril brikha | winter ep |

6.99 EURO

3832067 | L 1 | 12 Inch | estroe | driven |

7.19 EURO

3801576 | 1 | 12 Inch | gregor tresher | the now people/batte |

7.39 EURO

3829263 | 1 | 12 Inch | moonbeam | exlipse |

6.99 EURO

3835094 | L 1 | 12 Inch | lützenkirchen | music for the girls |

7.19 EURO

3817758 | L 1 | 12 Inch | geiger | good evening rmx |

6.99 EURO

3802546 | 1 | 12 Inch | pelle buys | sad feelings |

7.10 EURO

3770800 | 1 | 12 Inch | pelle buys | enemy mine |

7.10 EURO

3821251 | 1 | 12 Inch | eelke kleijn | 8 bit era |

9.20 EURO

Nice choices Tatsu, I hope it doesn't disappoint!

I don't think so, I'm really picky at the moment. I have the tendency with psy and trance to buy stuff just for collecting and I really DON'T want to get into that with minimal. A lot of stuff (judging by samples only) sounds like what I'm absolutely not looking for so I can just pick out the pearls. All the samples made the records I've ordered sound like absolut must haves, similar to the ones from my last two orders. And since they didn't disappoint me... :)