Pete Namlook / Klaus Schulze

SkeletonMan

I only got to hear Pete Namlook for the first time this weekend. I was totally amazed - deep ambient landscapes. Miles away from the chillout I know.

Actually a way for me now to spot a difference in chillout and ambient. I've always kinda figured they sounded likewise. Maybe they still do ...?

Anyhow, Namlook was amazing. What albums are his classics? I understand he's released a bundle of records and supposedly the quality is up and down.

Any recommendations?

And then I also understand Klaus Schulze is offering something along the same lines? True?

And what to go for there?

Appreciate any recommendations you have. I don't know any of the two but from discogs I can see that some of it are real collectors items and the prices to pricey for me.

So I'm looking for value for money ;)

I have Klaus Schulze's "X" ... and it's very good!

But apart from that I can't say much...

you should ask Bahamut :)

There are already a couple of topics about Namlook and his Fax label with good recommendations.

If you want to buy there's a whole bunch of FAX releases that can probably best be bought online (itunes and other mp3 shops).

Schulze and Namlook only worked together on the Dark Side of the Moog (I-X) series.

I read that Namlook had a hard time convincing Schulze to start with the DSOTM project, but when he played for Schulze some tracks of his Air album it did the trick :) (Air 1 and 2 would be great Namlook starters)

Klaus Schulze's music is generally very different from Namlook's stuff and I would be really careful what to get. Better begin with his great classics from the 1970s like Timewind, Moondawn, Mirage, X...I'll love them forever. These have all been reissued in the last years with bonus tracks (for better or worse).

His 80s and 90s music can be really weird, or cheezy or awkward stuff with bad choice of sounds etc....I don't even want to know more of it. Real kitch sometimes. But then again some of his collaborations with Ash Ra Temple and Pete Namlook are really good.

You should check out "Re:sonate" by Pete Namlook and Gaudi. The first times it may sound rather mediocre, but the more you listen to it, the more you start to appreciate it. You really have to grow into this album, although it may sound rather "simple".

edit: it's one of my 10 (dare I say 5?) favourite albums!1

You should check out "Re:sonate" by Pete Namlook and Gaudi. The first times it may sound rather mediocre, but the more you listen to it, the more you start to appreciate it. You really have to grow into this album, although it may sound rather "simple".

edit: it's one of my 10 (dare I say 5?) favourite albums!1

It's funny isn't it how so many great albums didn't sound amazing on the first listen.

This is why I don't pre listen if I know the genre as I could go 'beh' & miss out on something amazing :)

edit: I doubt I would have bought dreamfish if I'd listened to samples 1st ;)

I fully agree