Jump to content
alleycat

taking your cds on a plane

Recommended Posts

alleycat    1

Im going to be playing a gig in Vancouver in March, and I'll be flying up there. Im just wondering if its easy, or a hassle at all, to take music and headphones on a plane. THeres no way in hell Im not carrying them on. Its a paranoid country I live in...

 

Thanks! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rino    4

I do not see one possible reason why it should be any trouble, unless you pack some plastic C4 in your CD cases... :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
alleycat    1

I didnt think so, but with all the paranoia these days, I just wanted to be sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ov3rdos3    3

Yeah. I even managed to get a knife onboard once in a CD case. Shouldnt be a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Colin OOOD    84

Yeah. I even managed to get a knife onboard once in a CD case. Shouldnt be a problem.

:lol: Stop confusing the poor bugger.

 

CDs are no problem; you can check them in or carry them onboard, as long as they'll fit in your carryon luggage. Just don't take a knife! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NT    0

hm you could take a cd and smash it into pieces leaving it a nice and sharp shard that could function as a knife? Not sure if you can take it onboard with your personal luggage?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
alleycat    1

I dont think its gotten THAT bad, NT.

 

has it? :o:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NT    0

haven't got a clue myself, but if you aren't even able to take fluids (with the exception of tiny amounts) with you recently....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Otto Matta    3

It's not a hassle as long as the muthafuckin' snakes don't get 'em.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
alleycat    1

my cds are VERY important to me, Im not about to trust them to some yazbo baggage handler. They're 98% paid for, the other 2% was dl'ed for FREE ;)

 

I really dont want them out of my sight, especially since I'll need them for the gig...

 

 

 

I wouldnt expect any trouble, but like NT said its pretty weird these days.

 

BTW, they're 2 144-disc Case Logics. small enough to fit in the overhead but still bulky...

 

lots of $$ there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
needle ninja    13

I have taken my cds on board many times, no trouble.

That reminds me of the time they were with me and I had to make a call from a payphone and forgot the case...I RAN back when I remembered, still there thankfully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest antic   
Guest antic

my cds are VERY important to me, Im not about to trust them to some yazbo baggage handler. They're 98% paid for, the other 2% was dl'ed for FREE ;)

I really dont want them out of my sight, especially since I'll need them for the gig...

If I was you I'd copied them on CDr's and wouldn't take my originals on a trip. They can be lost, stolen or damaged, so why take the risk?!

 

Once, my friend & I were returning back home (on foot, it was pretty close & in summer) from a gig he played at and we were both so drunk, he somehow left the case with all his CDs somewhere. We can't quite recollect how could that happen, but it probably occured when he decided to take a piss in some bushes outside the road... Don't have to tell you he wasn't happy when he realised he lost around 100CDs... (luckily it wasn't psytrance).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I was you I'd copied them on CDr's and wouldn't take my originals on a trip. They can be lost, stolen or damaged, so why take the risk?!

 

Once, my friend & I were returning back home (on foot, it was pretty close & in summer) from a gig he played at and we were both so drunk, he somehow left the case with all his CDs somewhere. We can't quite recollect how could that happen, but it probably occured when he decided to take a piss in some bushes outside the road... Don't have to tell you he wasn't happy when he realised he lost around 100CDs... (luckily it wasn't psytrance).

very good tip antic.

I had the unfortunate pleasure of getting my cd's stolen once. i can tell you i was not ammused. I do take the originals with now, but i always have copies back home in case stuff gets stolen. Flac-ed on dvd.. I dont want to think about the work it will cost.. but at least i have em backed up..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NEMO.BOFH    4

my cds are VERY important to me, Im not about to trust them to some yazbo baggage handler. They're 98% paid for, the other 2% was dl'ed for FREE ;)

 

I really dont want them out of my sight, especially since I'll need them for the gig...

I wouldnt expect any trouble, but like NT said its pretty weird these days.

 

BTW, they're 2 144-disc Case Logics. small enough to fit in the overhead but still bulky...

 

lots of $$ there.

Yeahp, and that is why i NEVER EVER carry originals across countries or when travelling. I have copies of all my cds. I dont care for the copies. I also keep a backup set in a diffrent cd sleeve, just a small 15 CD sleeve, in case something should happen to the bigger case. Now, go and make copies of all your cds! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ov3rdos3    3

:lol: Stop confusing the poor bugger.

No, im serious. I got a knife and a lighter on board that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tox    1

At least make copies of the ones that are rare, expensive or very dear to you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RTP    81

I dont think its gotten THAT bad, NT.

 

has it? :o:(

in Austria you may not take any liquid on planes anymore ... no water, no Fanta, no hair shampoo!

so yeah, I really think it has gotten THAT bad :(

 

At least make copies of the ones that are rare, expensive or very dear to you!

yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!

heck, make copies of ALL of them, damnit! I'd do it. I'd not even wanna risk the loss of one of my babies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NEMO.BOFH    4

Yeahp, and that is why i NEVER EVER carry originals across countries or when travelling. I have copies of all my cds. I dont care for the copies. I also keep a backup set in a diffrent cd sleeve, just a small 15 CD sleeve, in case something should happen to the bigger case. Now, go and make copies of all your cds! :)

 

At least make copies of the ones that are rare, expensive or very dear to you!

 

in Austria you may not take any liquid on planes anymore ... no water, no Fanta, no hair shampoo!

so yeah, I really think it has gotten THAT bad :(

yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!

heck, make copies of ALL of them, damnit! I'd do it. I'd not even wanna risk the loss of one of my babies!

you see :) Dont carry those originals :) I know its a lot of work to copy, print tracklists etc etc... but when you have lost your first cd case, or gotten your records stolen for the first time, you will know it was well worth it. I have gotten 200 vinyls and a LOT of cds stolen/lost in travel :( The vinyls is worse for me... But also the ones that I love the most have been transferred to CD :) I am even thinking of getting some really rare vinyls of mine PRESSED hehehe.... but that of course is a matter of money :)

 

Listen to us :) Do them damn copies already...

 

Nemo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rotwang    323

It's not a hassle as long as the muthafuckin' snakes don't get 'em.

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Basilisk    50

my cds are VERY important to me, Im not about to trust them to some yazbo baggage handler. They're 98% paid for, the other 2% was dl'ed for FREE ;)

 

I really dont want them out of my sight, especially since I'll need them for the gig...

I wouldnt expect any trouble, but like NT said its pretty weird these days.

 

BTW, they're 2 144-disc Case Logics. small enough to fit in the overhead but still bulky...

 

lots of $$ there.

Ever heard of "rip & burn?" It's all part of the proper care of your treasured CDs. A few quick reasons why all DJs should use burned CDrs:

 

1) if you lose your case somehow it's just hassle to replace the goods, not devastating

2) original CDs need to be stored inside a jewel case (with all the teeth) in an upright position to prevent the accumulation of dust and other material

3) "binder wear" i.e. the stress and strain incurred by flipping through and bending pages in a case will eventually cause some CDs to snap into pieces

4) the environmental conditions found at many gigs go way beyond what the media was manufactured to withstand!

 

Essentially, it is up to you whether you want to enjoy the music you love for mere years, or entire decades :) play it safe, I say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Goazzz...    0

No worries bro.... You can take them with you on the plane! At least in Europe you can, together with your discman and headphones! But ask in the check in to be 100% sure, otherwise put them in your backpack you're handing in!

 

 

But i'm qite sure that even in the states they wont refuse to take them with you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
alleycat    1

Ive got a shoulder bag that fits the 2 Case Logics perfectly (from Zia Trance's shop). Im not going to be letting them out of my sight. But if anything should happen, well, I guess its their time to go...

 

Sad, but there's worse things.

 

I dont keep any rare or valuable cds in the cases. Don't have too much to begin with. Well, I guess a few of the cds are out of print already...

 

 

Ive been thinking of copying them but I never get around to it. Usually Im out at work and don't have access to a cd burner, and the machine at home is pretty old already (not to mention, nuked to SHIT with spy/adware, by my brother who had downloaded about 300 full albums, mostly death metal...) and burns like its steam driven... Sooner or later Ive gotta do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you could either go and buy a dvd burner (start at $30) or get a huge harddisk where you can put all your flacs on..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
alleycat    1

Well, I didn't have the time or the hardware to burn all my originals so I just took what I needed...

 

I had no trouble keeping them in my sight and secure...

 

However...

 

I found out the hard way, that in order to get paid for anything in Canada one needs a work permit. Which I didn't have. Customs actually called Chris from Organix, and told him that if I were to play, the club could be shut down. THey told me I could be deported and banned from Canada. I nearly got turned away. They wanted to make sure I actually had a job and a home. And after seeing all the junkies and homeless up there, I can sorta understand. But, grilling me and pulling me aside just because I have dreads is fucked up cultural profiling.

 

So, next time Im "visiting friends", and Im bringing the phone numbers for my work, all my bosses, my parents... Anything those smug border pig fucks could need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abasio    233

Well, I didn't have the time or the hardware to burn all my originals so I just took what I needed...

 

I had no trouble keeping them in my sight and secure...

 

However...

 

I found out the hard way, that in order to get paid for anything in Canada one needs a work permit. Which I didn't have. Customs actually called Chris from Organix, and told him that if I were to play, the club could be shut down. THey told me I could be deported and banned from Canada. I nearly got turned away. They wanted to make sure I actually had a job and a home. And after seeing all the junkies and homeless up there, I can sorta understand. But, grilling me and pulling me aside just because I have dreads is fucked up cultural profiling.

 

So, next time Im "visiting friends", and Im bringing the phone numbers for my work, all my bosses, my parents... Anything those smug border pig fucks could need.

hehehe! Sounds like another country I know :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...