copyright question

1. There is no copyright in speech unless and until it is recorded. If your speech is recorded, either in writing or by other means such as by electronic means, then the words of your speech will be protected as a literary work. Copyright protection would then last for life of the author plus 70 years.

If you perform a dramatic work, such as a play, or record your performance on an audio cassette or CD you may also be entitled to performer's rights.

2. For TV productions and films, copyright may exist on a number of its components, for example, the original screenplay, the music score and so on. If you produced the TV show or film then you would normally obtain the rights to, or gain permission to use, the works required to make the production.

A recording of a broadcast does not infringe copyright if it is made in your own home to watch later. For any other use you may need the permission for the rights holder, unless copyright exceptions apply.

Broadcasts, which may be transmitted by cable or wireless means, including satellite broadcasts, but excluding most transmissions on the internet, afford copyright protection in addition to any copyright in the content of broadcasts such as films, music and literary material. Copyright in a broadcast expires after 50 years.

Hope that helps mate :)

:blink:

so that means im not allowed?

but it was some journalistic thingie, could it be that in this case different rules apply?

..i just dont understand such law gibberish.

Technically speaking, you would have to wait for another 70+ years to do that. since:

If your speech is recorded, either in writing or by other means such as by electronic means, then the words of your speech will be protected as a literary work. Copyright protection would then last for life of the author plus 70 years.

But noone gives a shite about some sample that you are using in some PsyTrance track. I dont think that ANYONE actually asks for Permission these days when using samples like that. I would be VERY surprised if they did.

However, the correct thing to do is to ask for permission.

:)

true, noone gives a shiit about, why was i even worried? :D

but, what i heard can get you in real big trouble is using samples from hollywood movies, those fuckers will hunt you down :rolleyes:

... you say, ask for permission, if i´d ask them for permission it would be ok? just in general, they wouldnt refuse right?

true, noone gives a shiit about, why was i even worried? :D

but, what i heard can get you in real big trouble is using samples from hollywood movies, those fuckers will hunt you down :rolleyes:

... you say, ask for permission, if i´d ask them for permission it would be ok? just in general, they wouldnt refuse right?

Some will say yes, some will say no. If they say no, the sample is not worth being in your work ;):)

go for it, trance is a small scene, i wouldnt worry about ayone hunting you down.

sampling is a way of life these days, just like mentioned dont sample maddona singing and play it on the radio and you will be fine.

I'm sure if the artist is popular enough, then the company who owned the rights to the sample would certainly want to extort the artist for an obscene amount of money for permission to use something that essentially isn't worth much... Luckily though I think all psytrance would fly under the radar. I remember Infected Mushroom use to use movie samples in their songs, but don't anymore. Do you think they could get away with it these days with their popularity?

But arn't there laws regarding using small amounts of other artists material legally? The law's probably different here in Australia too, but I've never really been entirely sure what it is. Doesn't seem too unfair that if someone appropriates very small amounts of other peoples work for remixes or whatnot, that it should be fair use. But obviously not stealing entire songs with a few minor changes... Laws preventing any use of other peoples work to create something new sounds pretty stifling to artists and music as an artform. Especially these days with electronic music as big as it is, and growing...

Anyone heard of Negativland? They're an awesome sound collage artist that make brilliant music from essentially all samples. But they couldn't be able to exist with such harsh laws... although I think they do anyway, but not without legal problems. Like when they used samples from a U2 song, and they were sued by the record company (without consulting the actual band, of course). Which in itself is pretty sad.

But is using any amount of someone elses work legal? Or is it just enough you can get away with without having the samples recognised? ;)

i think they actually accepted a law in australia that said that the use without consult of any sample from an artist is illegal even if its just a very small snippet. If its recognisable you can be sued.. off course it will be a hell of a lawsuit to find out if you played that guitar sample yourself or if it is that riff from metallic but tuned and twisted up to a almost unrecognizable sound. Where is the line? and if you can find it.. its very thin..

sure artists productions need to be protected.. but do we need to pay for the blue / red pill sample as well?

Or the fact that i used a loop from a triphop record but twisted it so much its something else? i dont think so.