Your creative process

Just want wondering what the creative process for you all is. Do you start with drums and work out a bassline then melody, etc? Or does it depend on the track? I tend to start with drums but find this is difficult as it doesn't lead to much creativity. Keep in mind im a newbie at this whole thing.

Still need to invest in a nice pair of headphones as I dont have money to buy a mixer and stuff so I can get monitors.

Also, any advice for a newbie besides of course not being unoriginal and copying everyone else?

How long did it take you all to start getting what you consider good at making trance?

Thanks!

i dont believe in a specific process or in a certain course that the work is being done in. in my humble opinion, this is how tracks are done, but not songs.

basically i think it starts with an idea. have a sound that would suit as beginning of the tune? go on and arrange it. then go further. what would be cool to enter after that sound? etc. thats how i do it, and it works for me better than anything else. but everybody has his/her way...find your own!

what will you do with the info you requested in your last line? will it help you? dont think so. dude, dont hurry :) "turn off your mind...relax...float downstream (Spcae Tribe)" ;)

what will you do with the info you requested in your last line? will it help you? dont think so. dude, dont hurry :) "turn off your mind...relax...float downstream (Spcae Tribe)" ;)

Very good point. Many factors in how fast you learn any new skill. I just want to be pro now but thats just fantasy ;). If I have to wait 2 years to be any good, so be it. Music is music so it applies to all genres. Get good at making one genre and its much easier to try another.

Just want wondering what the creative process for you all is. Do you start with drums and work out a bassline then melody, etc? Or does it depend on the track? I tend to start with drums but find this is difficult as it doesn't lead to much creativity. Keep in mind im a newbie at this whole thing.

I personally get the kick&bassline first, then it depends on what I want. It can be percs, melodies, whatever.

Still need to invest in a nice pair of headphones as I dont have money to buy a mixer and stuff so I can get monitors.

You don't need "a mixer and stuff" for monitors.

How long did it take you all to start getting what you consider good at making trance?

A few years. :)

My creative process is very much like the process of digestion, the end process..

I sit on the toilet (computer) and ideas fall out (music), then I wipe (polish) ;)

:lol:

Its been more than 3 years since I started trying to make trance, and I still havent got it. But Im not giving up.

Ive been a dj for about 6 months now, and I really believe that its helped immensely in my production. I have a much clearer idea of what a song should sound like, what kind of atmospheres, percussion, and especially arrangement.

You should've heard my old stuff... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

In fact Im sure you could find a link to my old Soundclick site around here somewhere...

My creative process is very much like the process of digestion, the end process..

I sit on the toilet (computer) and ideas fall out (music), then I wipe (polish) ;)

So you literally just compared your music to crap :P . Thats about what I'm producing at the moment hah. Part of the fun of any hobby is learning to do it so I guess its really not so bad to suck. And as with anything, you can ALWAYS improve. Suppose I will feel better once I complete a whole track and am happy with it.

I would be very interested to hear your old stuff although im sure by now the links are dead.

The reason I asked about creative process was that originally I was trying to put together everything for a chorus instead of starting right at the beginning. The only good thing about this method is that you know if the drum samples are going to work with the rest of the track. I guess there is no "right" way to make trance. Whatever process it takes you to get there. Now I start right at the beginning and work my way from there.

The reason I asked about creative process was that originally I was trying to put together everything for a chorus instead of starting right at the beginning. The only good thing about this method is that you know if the drum samples are going to work with the rest of the track. I guess there is no "right" way to make trance. Whatever process it takes you to get there. Now I start right at the beginning and work my way from there.

great! there is no "right" in making music at all, not only in making trance music. and take your time. a master's never fallen straight from heaven :)

by the way...

this is the analogy of the year :D

Guest The Journey Man Project

I start with bass kick... I like to try to mae my own, or if I use a sample tweak the hell out of so it sounds original... seeing as my music has a very heavy techno basis I generally don;t creat a melodic bassline but kind of roll the kick... hard to describe, I don't know the technical words for it as I'm hungover and have no programs on this laptop... then I ussualy add some snares, often bongos/tribal sounds and then some cymbals.. tweake them and add fx until I have about ten minutes long of it all flowing... then I usually just use some plug ins to creat sounds very similar ot a 303 and other squelch nouise over the top and finally I usea homemade synth of my brother in law to add some hissing staic industrial soundscpaes in the background... my style is very hard industiral techno sounds rather psytrance... melodies take to much time for me, and I fidn they get boring in a long track... I like to play aaround with weird noises and natural samples rather than write melodies... any music has melodies in it, but the great thing about electronincproduction is you can make music out of any sound... right now I'm working with a sample of my mate's dog whining for his owner, it whines in a very unique way, almost like a weird bird... it is fun playing with it... but my music is just a hobby for now... need to get my realy work career sorted first... and my giurld won;t let me invest in hardware/software properly until I get my dj'ing going (I dj any style now-adays from underground trance to r 'n b and pop and house etc.)...

alleycat used a good metaphor. Seems to me the creative process is somehow getting the demons out of us. I for one always feel much lighter when I've finished a piece of art; I feel like my mind is finally free enough to take care of my responsibilities (clean the apartment, pay the bills, etc.). If and when the demons start piling up it's time to start battling them again with the weapon of choice, and I find having various media with which to work is very helpful, because not all demons can be purged with the same medium. And if they start building up and for one reason or other I'm unable to exorcise them, it is a painful process indeed.

When I was new at it I to started with the drums/percussion, but then I made a few 'songs' that I listened to afterward and thought :huh: there is something missing

...oh, I forgot the melody music is rythem and melody and you better get that straight in your mind before you spend hours fiddling with just the right kickdrum.

So now I think of an origional melody or riff and get that recorded and build my song or music or art from there.

Not so easy to be origional with a melody, but with patience and not being afraid to try new stuff it is quite rewarding when you get an origional pattern.

I must also warn you it is downright hard work. Mentally hard that is. I take lots of brakes and let myself 'cool off' with mindless activities like watching tv.