Most overrated albums

rino

OK, I think there have been a million threads about underrated gems, producers, albums, tracks, etc... But what about the opposite? Do YOU think there are albums that are undeservably held too high? Do YOU even think it is possible that an album is overrated? Why? If you have some on your mind and you think they've been getting way too much respect, list 'em down:

WARNING: These are NOT necessarily bad albums, but the ones you think got too much recognition, so no insulting artists and their releases!!!

M.F.G.- The Prophecy (1996)

Not to be disrispectful in any way towards these israeli producers, but I have always thought that their debut album was nothing more than a very good goa trance album. But nothing more. I mean, the real action in '96 was down in the far Australia with the Psy Harmonics label, or up in England where the likes of Bilbo Bagginz were producing amazing stuff. Or Etnica, or even back in Israel with Astral Projection... I could go on and on and on. The way I saw it, M.F.G., along with others, produced an excellent "by the rules" goa trance album, which basically sounded like somebody told them: "If you wanna produce goa trance, here's a step by step guide to lead you through the process!". I always thought that the full realisation of their talent came with the second album, New Kind Of World. The first one for me will always be like, goa trance was the thing back then, so let's just fit in nicely with the rest by makng an album that will contain a lil' something from everybody, and it just might turn out well. Only my opinion, though! ;)

Electric Universe- Stardiver (1997)

Even though I very much like this album, somehow I always felt it was undeservably crowned as a better release than their debut release, One Love. Now, while the latter is one of the defining mid '90s positive, happy and dreamy goa trance sound, the second one only partially succeeds in recapturing the magic. And yes I am aware that "Online information" is by some considered as the first breaks goa (or however you call it?) track ever, and I seriously love it, that doesn't do much for me. If a track is good, then it's just good, and I couldn't care less if it originated something or not. The dreamy and repetitive melodies are all in tact as well, but I just never thought they worked as well as they did on One Love. On their debut album, most tracks were really repetitive, but the melodies were so awesome and soulful that I could stand listening to the same one for as long as it took. Something I cannot do on Stardiver, where very often after about 3 minutes I catch myself pushing the skip button, being bored with the track's lack of development and soul, so to put it. Especially on tracks "The rising sun", "Luna overdrive" and "Technologic", which all work fine on the dancefloor, but I find them nothing more than useful DJ tools. Another grudge I have against Stardiver is that the three best tracks: "Online information", "Sunset skyline (edit)" and "Astral voyage (edit)" are all to be found on the Sunglider EP from '96, in unmixed and unedited forms... And those are, IMO, the only tracks that actually try to push forward E.U.'s sound, while the rest are very nice tracks, but I just don't see this one getting the "classic" stamped on it! And while I still today enjoy listening to this album, I find it more effective to play some tunes rather than others, giving me the feeling that it has more impact that way.

Organic Noise- Vacuum Tube (2000)

Hm, while it is much agreed upon that their early singles on the ol' T.I.P. Records more or less layed out the foundations for the entire minimal and tech-trance subgenre, by the time their album came out in 2000, the scene was already packed with X-Dream and Planet B.E.N. followers who in some cases, building uopn what Jan Muller and Ben Wierzoch started, easily beat these two pioneers in their own game. I just simply think this album came too late. If it came out about 2-3 years earlier, it would have been a genre defining album. Like this, I never saw it as being anything more than a nice minimal, monotonous and dark release. One of many...

Hm, while it is much agreed upon that their early singles on the ol' T.I.P. Records more or less layed out the foundations for the entire minimal and tech-trance subgenre, by the time their album came out in 2000, the scene was already packed with X-Dream and Planet B.E.N. followers who in some cases, building uopn what Jan Muller and Ben Wierzoch started, easily beat these two pioneers in their own game. I just simply think this album came too late. If it came out about 2-3 years earlier, it would have been a genre defining album. Like this, I never saw it as being anything more than a nice minimal, monotonous and dark release. One of many...

In fact a lot of the tracks were released years before, this album is actually some sort of single collection. Polaris, Spastic Elastic, Acid Soul, Labyrinth of Colours were all released some years before.

Agree about Prophecy and Stardiver, I never really payed much attention to them, I mean they're not bad, just nothing that tickled my senses.

OK, I think there have been a million threads about underrated gems, producers, albums, tracks, etc... But what about the opposite? Do YOU think there are albums that are undeservably held too high? Do YOU even think it is possible that an album is overrated? Why? If you have some on your mind and you think they've been getting way too much respect, list 'em down:

WARNING: These are NOT necessarily bad albums, but the ones you think got too much recognition, so no insulting artists and their releases!!!

M.F.G.- The Prophecy (1996)

I agree with all of your choices.

Green Nuns of the Revolution "Rock Bitch Mafia" never caught my ear either... sorry guys...

Pleidians "IFO" did at first, but later the sound became to thin & metallic for me.

Astral Project "The Astral Files" was too copy paste in regards to "Trust in Trance".

Those were a few.

- Krell

Certainly agree on Pleiadians "IFO", although that's probably not the most popular view in here. "Family Of Light" on the other hand is a much more mature and diverse, and I consider it one of my alltime favourite psychedelic trance albums.

Now the real question is, why to have topic such as this in the first place?

What good does is promote?

Telling someone which music to listen or not to listen is an act of a proud ego. The ego thinks it can define or label music. The ego wants others to agree on with its taste and by so confirming beliefs of its superior/righteous taste of music.

Do we have absolute value for music? If not, then there's no use for undervaluing anything. What I advice one to do is to enjoy the music he/she likes and perhaps spreading his/her positive feel she/he gets from music.

Now the real question is, why to have topic such as this in the first place?

What good does is promote?

Telling someone which music to listen or not to listen is an act of a proud ego. The ego thinks it can define or label music. The ego wants others to agree on with its taste and by so confirming beliefs of its superior/righteous taste of music.

Do we have absolute value for music? If not, then there's no use for undervaluing anything. What I advice one to do is to enjoy the music he/she likes and perhaps spreading his/her positive feel she/he gets from music.

KIND OF agree with you here, but everything can not be positive :) However, I agree with you actually!

Have you been reading those self-awareness books again Oopie? ;)

:D

"actually just common sense (or perhaps uncommon since so many people here can't seem to understand)." thanks to feathers for this great piece of a quote. :)

Even though I very much like this album, somehow I always felt it was undeservably crowned as a better release than their debut release, One Love. Now, while the latter is one of the defining mid '90s positive, happy and dreamy goa trance sound, the second one only partially succeeds in recapturing the magic. And yes I am aware that "Online information" is by some considered as the first breaks goa (or however you call it?) track ever, and I seriously love it, that doesn't do much for me. If a track is good, then it's just good, and I couldn't care less if it originated something or not.

:huh:

So which do you think? A genre defining track/album makes it better or not? You seemed to say both here.

I agree about IFO. I love it but I do think it's overrated when you compare it too family of light which doesn't get half the kudos but which I much prefer :)

1. Now the real question is, why to have topic such as this in the first place?

2. What good does is promote?

3. Telling someone which music to listen or not to listen is an act of a proud ego. The ego thinks it can define or label music. The ego wants others to agree on with its taste and by so confirming beliefs of its superior/righteous taste of music.

4. Do we have absolute value for music? If not, then there's no use for undervaluing anything. What I advice one to do is to enjoy the music he/she likes and perhaps spreading his/her positive feel she/he gets from music.

1. And why not? Just to see people's opinions, and yesterday night I was feeling kind of ill, so I stayed home in front of the computer and felt like posting a new topic... As simple as that!

2. It isn't supposed to promote any good or bad. I just wanted to see people's opinions.

3. No proud egos here, I musted of wrote three times that this is a subjective opinion, and I wrote "IMO" like four times. I didn't label or define any music, just expressed my personal opinion which I am absolutely entitled to by each and every law... And I nenver said I don't enjoy these albums. And I always spread positive vibes I get from music. I seriously think you got things kinda messed up here with the whole ego thing. Wrong thread! I even wrote in bold letters that NO insulting artisits or albums is to be found here, only opinions... Did anybody here state he wants others to agree with his beliefs? Did anybody say he has a "superior/righteous" taste of music? I am positive I did not.

4. Who mentioned anything about absolute values for music? Who undervaluated anything? Only opinions here...

4. Who mentioned anything about absolute values for music? Who undervaluated anything? Only opinions here...

Your opinions aren't hippy enough :angry:

Only wishy washy ideas about love & peace without actually trying will be accepted ^_^

Anyways

Another album I think is way overrated is Hallucinogen - The Loan Deranger. Never got into it! The 1st track blew me away but the rest of the album left me cold! I still listen to it every now and again as it gets so much hype still but it just doesn't do much for me.

It's a fine piece of work I'm sure but never got under my skin like Twisted did :(

Something I cannot do on Stardiver, where very often after about 3 minutes I catch myself pushing the skip button, being bored with the track's lack of development and soul, so to put it. Especially on tracks "The rising sun", "Luna overdrive" and "Technologic", which all work fine on the dancefloor, but I find them nothing more than useful DJ tools.

I cannot agree about Luna Overdrive. I just love it, my favourite of all of EU. Wish there were more of that kind of stuff to find.

X-Dream - We Interface

Critic was really hard on this one, so it wasn't praised that much

But album is cross - voice,minimal tech, progress,structure, darkness,ideas behind songs...Don't spit on X-Dream cause I found u and than I break u:)

But I also think they can do better :(

X-Dream - We Interface

I hate this album

Guess saying I hate it would be overreacting and overexaggerating. I just think it is a nice way to continue pushing their music in new directions, which I might not like, and that's why this album won't find itself too often in my CD player... though the electro-trance trance combination sounds cool. No it doesn't. Wait, it does! No... I'm fighting it!!!! Ah, to hell with it, "X ray eyes" is one fine tune B)

IFO - Not because of the music, but because of the production. True it's layered & rich, but the tracks sound very 'thin' - in couple of them there's no bass at all, just wave after wave of screaming trebles. It really works on my nerves and rarely I'm able to go through the entire CD because of that... It's just exhausting :)

Very strong album

Sorry but, its really not. To me it was the real big push into that commercial psy thats not cheesy fluff sounding. its like some sorta epic psy with that deep tone and odd style the way it moves. some sorta PUNK PSY. heres an example..psyshops sample of Soul Control @ 34 seconds. it spawned more crap like stuff from X-Noise and Black & White. Sometimes E-Jekt even touched into that sound/style. I cant exactly explain it but you know when ya hear it. Xerox & Illumination - Temporary insanity was an awesome album! and few compilation releases before were ok or good too. the lastest album (XI) just doesn't cut it. the original '7 days' was good and 'Ghost in the Machine' is probably the best off the album. the best example of this sound is Paranoia. also the most whored song of '05

another exmaple..Black& White - Retro Active

Critic was really hard on this one, so it wasn't praised that much

But album is cross - voice,minimal tech, progress,structure, darkness,ideas behind songs...Don't spit on X-Dream cause I found u and than I break u:)

But I also think they can do better :(

I like X-dream but didn't feel that album. not something to get all excited about. I respect they went way in another direction. takes some guts. doesn't mean its great.

1. And why not? Just to see people's opinions, and yesterday night I was feeling kind of ill, so I stayed home in front of the computer and felt like posting a new topic... As simple as that!

Yes of course you have the right to post this sort of topic. That's irrelevant and not my point. The point was to ask what's the necessitity to promote negative discussion? (it's negative when one suggests something of abstract value is being liked/enjoyed too much.)

2. It isn't supposed to promote any good or bad. I just wanted to see people's opinions.

Forgive me my harsh expression but d'uh! :) It's not up to your good will or intentions, if the topic you create is shaped to diss/talk down music.

3. No proud egos here, I musted of wrote three times that this is a subjective opinion, and I wrote "IMO" like four times. I didn't label or define any music, just expressed my personal opinion which I am absolutely entitled to by each and every law... And I nenver said I don't enjoy these albums. And I always spread positive vibes I get from music. I seriously think you got things kinda messed up here with the whole ego thing. Wrong thread! I even wrote in bold letters that NO insulting artisits or albums is to be found here, only opinions... Did anybody here state he wants others to agree with his beliefs? Did anybody say he has a "superior/righteous" taste of music? I am positive I did not.

Do not by any means feel personally attacked by my statements. I'm providing general tips how to shape thinking in more respectful direction. :)

It's unimportant whether you view your statements as opinions or facts. The characteristics of this topic's nature remain quite the same. The idea is to criticise music. But when it comes to electronic music as psytrance, it's waste of time to give critics. Why so one could ask? Psytrance (in most cases I've heard, and in the ones you mentioned) doesn't involve messages that are designed to create hatred or promote other acts of negativeness. Psytrance is abstract music made of sounds that are boundless and universal. So when music, or any other subject for that matter, has only abstract non-countable value it's in itself of non-value. What a person does is giving the abstract subject a personal value. Person is infact talking of him/herself instead of the music, which doesn't contain real value. Person talks about his/her characteristics; what are the things I appreciate, want etc.

So when discussing about "overrated music", you are: 1) saying music has some _concrete_ value because you claim it can be overrated/underrated. this is delusional talk! 2) your ego isn't accepting differing tastes as it has a desire to talk down something others are enjoying! Can't you see? Abstract things, in the best case, only offer positive aspects because their concrete value is zero, non-countable. It's up to the viewer to decide :)

And this is why I'm trying to say: Like what you like and leave the rest alone.

It's hidden in the context that music can have absolute value, if there's a way to under/overvalue it. When saying something can be under/overvalued, you're actually saying there's some countable value to which over/under some subject is measured. But psytrance just can't be measured in terms of quality as there's no absolute universal terms to judge sounds!

yo Rino btw, have you been on msn I haven't seen you there. :)