lame samples

supergroover

Basically I thought it might be entertaining to hear what samples really annoyed the hell out of you.

I ll start with one i heard this morning (before my coffee):

listening to basic- wicked now.. and it has a sample in the start:

'lighten up them spliff ya ?? no worry ???? calling all isrealites who come over. Basic song in da footfashion style. Ruler in da dance, in da trance. Basic song. Bigger ?? trance."

All of this in reggeastyle mc.. the ?? parts i cant understand. But i mean what the f**k are you trying to say here? you start with a little ego boost on your cd? Why the fuck do i have to light up a spliff? And why is he only calling isrealites? I really dont understand these kind of lyrics.. Why?

And it goes on:

"Wicked on. The ma wicked song that i know." x 10 (yes bad english ;) )

"this is the music of the new generation. Sounds like it comes from another dimension. one world one race. ??? Straight forward into your ??. "

in canon: "this is the music of the new generation. Sounds like it comes from another dimension. one world one race. etc blahblah"

I mean... come on..

Sure there are more of those lame lyrics out there.. Lets asume a scenario here for a sec. If you are producing this. You will hear it at least 100 times. How can you not think somewhere along the line: "Damnit i need to lose those lame vocals"? How can you seriously produce this stuff while being serious about your own album? If you make it solely for the radio.. ok you are just trying to cash in and nobody will ever know you made it.. Fine i would go for that too.. But under your own name? I would be ashamed to death...

I can't wait until this scene really divides into a poppy stream and the underground..

In older songs the outlandish "aliens gave us lsd" samples are fun in a corny way.

Nowadays all drug samples & new age humbug, yechh :E

Also, the quite recent trend to sample any "big" movie: matrix, lotr, etc... is boring and shows a lack of imagination.

I think it all depends on the track of course. and of course, it depends on the sample used in the track. the sample that you describe supergroover, sounds very infantil to me. however the samples in oood's marihuana track are also drug referenced, but made with humor (imo) and is not as infantil as this one you describe. :(

worst sample ive ever heard was in an Eskimo tune.

It had the "Hadooken" sample from Street Fighter.

He probably thought it was so funny too :P

I bet everyone will hear it & they'll be so amazed at my humour he probably thought while shitting that track out of his arse.

The samples in vegetals album .. ok we care about whats going on in the world but sampling such stuff in the middle of a pumping riff just throws you off .. extremely lame in that context. could have been avoided

ok another one:

space buddha (i think on storm reaction album): "100% pure uncut bolivian cocaine"

why talk about the most unpsychedelic egoboosting drug of all time?

That is one of my Fav songs on that album, and I totaly agree It pisses me off that bit especially when it is called Acid prophecy, when I mix that I try and cut it out with a strange effect and kick it back in.

I should really do a mix and post it on here ;)

Storm Reaction is a great album indeed.. one of the best albums in 2003 for me at the time :)

The most lame samples are the ones coming from Fear and Loathing, if you feel like sampling that movie again.. just don't release your stuff! Overused and overdone.

The samples in vegetals album .. ok we care about whats going on in the world but sampling such stuff in the middle of a pumping riff just throws you off .. extremely lame in that context. could have been avoided

100% True!

It's psytrance, not political hardcore.

Also all the overused drug/movie samples

+1

Also I know that some people will hate me for saying this, but... some of the samples on Classical Mushroom are lame as hell. A pity, because the ones on The Gathering are consistently great.

+1

Also I know that some people will hate me for saying this, but... some of the samples on Classical Mushroom are lame as hell. A pity, because the ones on The Gathering are consistently great.

I thought it was the other way round :lol:

Most, most, samples get tired after a while. Especially the long ones. That's why most of my favourites are generally sample free. There is a lot of music I think is really good but I can't listen to it too much or the samples get stuck in my head & bug the shite out of me.

Heh, I always feel compelled to mention how I feel about Vegetal: He felt like he wanted to have politically charged samples in his music. So he did. I can dig it, for one, I was once one of the RATM listening, Fuck-the-pigs yelling sign-carriers, so I can relate to the things said. He felt like those were good things for people to hear. Personally it never bothers me so much!

Personally I agree all those, "lets get wasted" type samples are pretty over and done with.

One that always gets me (and apparently they didnt know who it was when they included it in their tune) is the N-sync or who the hell ever in Xtra Unit-Mutant Rebellion, right in the middle of the break.... Yechhh. I never want to play that song at a party because of that. Dont want anyone to get the wrong idea. :ph34r: Which sucks because its a good song otherwise!

Most, most, samples get tired after a while. Especially the long ones. That's why most of my favourites are generally sample free.

Indeed. This is a general principle that I find true in most instances.. pure music has more replay value than something perturbed by sample usage. It is very rare for a sample to become an endearing element of a track.

Modern psytrance is plagued by terrible sample usage... it's like the producers just aren't thinking. Why do we have screaming samples from Kill Bill in a progressive track for example? Full-on gets even worse, and don't even get me started on the vapid drug samples...

that horrible gms song the one that says:rolling rolling rolling rolling rolling rolling rolling rolling rolling ....dont remember the name

Fuck, I hate that song and the annoying voice. Heard it at the Fullmoon Festival a few times and was always a good moment to leave the Main Stage area for a while.

No matter how I adore that track, the Robert Johnsons sample on Cosmosis' "Down at the crossroads" pisses the hell out of my for the last couple of years. I though it was cool back in the day, but now I know that over a minute long wrinkled voice by heart, and just have to fast forward every time I hear it.

Still on Cosmosis, the newer track where there is this brutally horrible sample: "How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?" ...or sumthin' like that...

99% of drug related samples. Why? Because they make me think that I listen to music crafted for junkies- which couldn't be farther from the truth than it already is. Those god damn samples only help an average person to pigeonhold this form of music as a lame excuse to get wasted.

FOR EXAMPLE- Fractal Glider on his track "Rain Cryer": "What about drugs, are you on any narcotics?"

"No, but if you think it would help..."

And how could I forget this gem: "Now we've reached the hour of spliff politics. It's the time of the night when everyone knows who's got a spliff and in which direction it's going."

'Boom shankar!'

On California Sunshine's "Other line" track from the Nasha album, which I otherwise very much enjoy, after around 6 minutes some sample of this lame ass dude singing in some "mystical language" drops on the track and ruins it. Totally...

ANY form of sample that goes like: "Come on!", "Shake it!", "Keep the groove coming!", etc., and all those "booty moving" samples.

Check out this "cool" sample from Etnica's "Beast Man": "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport, or lust, or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair. For he is the harbinger of death.

^^^^

yeah thats a lame use of a good piece of spoken word... Pretty out of context if you ask me.