AkumaSama

Psy-Trance  

27 members have voted

1. 1. some Psy-trance peoples elitist?

• Yes (Good Thing)
    • Yes (Bad)
    • No (good)
    • no (bad)

i have been reading many thing on this and i thinking that some people think of themselfs as better than other people because of their tastes in music and the number of parties they is attend.

I read of people say peace love respect. the write of spiritualness and that there is noone todays who is as spirituality as thems and other peoples music is not as good as thems and money is maiking the scene bad.

But they people who say about peace and love and respect and spirit look to me as the people who fight most :huh: have no love for other people than themselves :huh: have almost zero respect for other peoples opinioons. To summarize they have no spirit for the scene. lost in the psat :(

I goes to jsut few partys because I am not so younger but the feeling I see is very good at the fullon parties. Peoples are nice and happy and noone is there telling people the music is bad or was better before time or this sucks. it nice. people are nice guys

It is only natural for some people to be better informed, have a more well-developed personal taste, or have a better ability to manipulate words to express themselves with greater depth. Equality is a lost cause, but equity is not so unreasonable. Elitism isn't quite so bad as blind arrogance. Still, there is something to be said about an open exchange of ideas and opinions, even if it is as brutish as "this is crap." At least we have raw honesty, which is not something you will find in the sterilized universe of Guy Cohen for example. What I object to most is the sense that "shanti vibes" or PLUR as you say should be a smoke screen for accepting whatever mindless pap the big names feel like feeding everyone. It doesn't work that way. An underground electronic music culture like this is a conversation--between producer and listener, and all points in between. Squelch the malcontents and you will have a perfect bubblegum world entirely lacking in substance and the real spirit you speak of. Keeping it real is largely a function of continuing the dialogue, of driving the movement forward through thought and action, even when that action may seem 'elitist' or 'negative' to you. This is not an excuse for bad manners on forums or at the party, but you cannot hope to suppress critiques of any form of cultural production. This is how it works: they make stuff, we consume it, feed it back into the system, develop opinions, and let them run as wild as the layered arpeggios in I.F.O. Enjoy your time and don't let anything get you down, most of all what other people think. If you want a PLURRY paradise then spike the Thanksgiving turkey with MDMA and see what happens to your family. Then see if everyone is still getting along so well three days later. Enough said.

January 26th. Absurdist diatribe in E-minor. I hope you smiled more than you grimaced.

I made a topic some time ago, talking about new-age-hippies. people that look like hippies, but live like yuppies... seems there are many of them in "our" scene. :(

Why the sad face? What's wrong with that?

You have to be making good money to afford the hippie life-style! ;):D

Any hippie who becomes a yuppie wasn't a full-fledged hippie to begin with. Real hippies are rare, and I don't think many exist in our scene. Maybe more in the Grateful Dead/Phish scene. Our scene is about technology, and you can't have technology without money. And you can't have money without a job. Hence...yuppie.

Elitist or arrogant People who think they are better than others for whatever reason, aren't! and they usually end up looking stupid!

I don't like pop! I think it's generally crap generic pap! But when other people choose it as their preffered form of music to listen to, I don't think I am somehow better than them.

When people are very competitive, I don't feel that I am better than them.

When people download all their music, although I really don't agree with it, I don't think I am better than them.

Why the hell would I. I'm nothing special. I'm good at some things & shite at others. I like what I like & I know some of it is shite but I don't care.

Elitist, racist, sexist people :(

No, I have not encountered any elitism ni goa/psyparties and this coming from someone who is not a "hippie" , has a total aversion towards the new age potpourri embraced by many, etc...

I haven`t many anything but good people :)

As to the people who supposedly consider themselves more well-versed in goa/psy/whatever, if such people exist, it`s no sweat off my back now is it?

Any hippie who becomes a yuppie wasn't a full-fledged hippie to begin with. Real hippies are rare, and I don't think many exist in our scene. Maybe more in the Grateful Dead/Phish scene. Our scene is about technology, and you can't have technology without money. And you can't have money without a job. Hence...yuppie.

I don't know the meaning you give to the word yuppie. I'm not so familiar with it either. But i don't think only the fact that you have a job qualifies you as a yuppie.

My experience with psytrance people has always been great. Especially Belgium has a nice scene with nice and honest people who just want to have a great time with great music, no elitism there. When I went to metal concerts a lot, I saw a lot of people standing with arms crossed and bitching about how much better their taste was. One time I saw a young guy having a great time and starting to dance on a death metal concert, it made me smile, but some metal chicks started to laugh at him and push him around, trying to make him fall down. It pissed me of and ruined my evening.

I haven't experienced anything like like that on a goaparty.

Ive only had one encounter with a party full of idiots, which was Tshitraka Project 2005, but it sure didnt stop me from having a blast!

In the US the only time I saw the "idiots' come out of the woodwork was Symbiosis, which is a mutligenre festival. Hippies and breakbeat-elite... <_<

But EVERY psytrance party Ive been to around here was good. No elitism at all!

My experience with psytrance people has always been great. Especially Belgium has a nice scene with nice and honest people who just want to have a great time with great music, no elitism there. When I went to metal concerts a lot, I saw a lot of people standing with arms crossed and bitching about how much better their taste was. One time I saw a young guy having a great time and starting to dance on a death metal concert, it made me smile, but some metal chicks started to laugh at him and push him around, trying to make him fall down. It pissed me of and ruined my evening.

I haven't experienced anything like like that on a goaparty.

Death Metal and Psy Trance are based on whole lot of different principles.

Hence the people on each 'side'.

It is only natural for some people to be better informed, have a more well-developed personal taste, or have a better ability to manipulate words to express themselves with greater depth. Equality is a lost cause, but equity is not so unreasonable. Elitism isn't quite so bad as blind arrogance. Still, there is something to be said about an open exchange of ideas and opinions, even if it is as brutish as "this is crap." At least we have raw honesty, which is not something you will find in the sterilized universe of Guy Cohen for example. What I object to most is the sense that "shanti vibes" or PLUR as you say should be a smoke screen for accepting whatever mindless pap the big names feel like feeding everyone. It doesn't work that way. An underground electronic music culture like this is a conversation--between producer and listener, and all points in between. Squelch the malcontents and you will have a perfect bubblegum world entirely lacking in substance and the real spirit you speak of. Keeping it real is largely a function of continuing the dialogue, of driving the movement forward through thought and action, even when that action may seem 'elitist' or 'negative' to you. This is not an excuse for bad manners on forums or at the party, but you cannot hope to suppress critiques of any form of cultural production. This is how it works: they make stuff, we consume it, feed it back into the system, develop opinions, and let them run as wild as the layered arpeggios in I.F.O. Enjoy your time and don't let anything get you down, most of all what other people think. If you want a PLURRY paradise then spike the Thanksgiving turkey with MDMA and see what happens to your family. Then see if everyone is still getting along so well three days later. Enough said.

January 26th. Absurdist diatribe in E-minor. I hope you smiled more than you grimaced.

There's one thing I don't really understand. Why can't you be critical, even brutaly honest only when also being an elitist? For me the whole plur thing is not about not being able to hand out or take critics but the way you do it. For example: If you don't like a style, song or artist and tell it, why do you (when I say you I don't mean Basilisk, I'm generally speaking) also have to put down the people who like and buy and set your own taste on a higher or better level? What does it change for you if you do it? To me it seems like some sort of selfdefense, either because some people are unsure about themselfes and need personal taste to feel special or good or because they can't stand if people have another taste. Both is rather sad imho.

Well, on a more serious note, there are a few things I can think to say here... certainly, there is a soft-handed way of speaking online that too few practice. However, it does get very tiring to pad everything you say in wishy-washy phrases like "in my opinion" and "not that I expect everyone to feel this way, but..." To elaborate somewhat, when one is writing an academic essay, for example, one simply have to assume authority which in all likelihood is not possessed. I think some of the same process is at work when writing online. Okay, sure, some people are just jerks (and we need not call them 'elitists'), but in other instances, people are simply objecting to strongly worded opinions. I can agree that people will sometimes cross the line into disrespect, but just as often is this disrespect merely perceived rather than extant. But yes, if there is anything to what you say--about people acting out in self-defense because they feel unsure of their own taste--then this is no good...

Well yes. Let`s take an example, and average psy party. It contains all kinds of people, from rave veterans well into their 30s to late teens who have just discovered the whole shebang. What I thought the topic started meant by elitism is people frowning on others who they feel do not adhere to whatever standards they hold. <- this was the elitism that I was talking about.

E.g a typical example that I myself have been guilty of, not so vocal about it though, is that many of the kids nowadays (truth be told, I havent been to a psy party in over three years) seem to consider a goa party to be just a place where they can be super fucked-up on drugs. The freeform "Do as you please" vibe of the happenings has gone sour with people who just seem to exploit whatever liberties there seem to be present.

p.S I agree with you on the whole matter of forced / faked plurriness. Though the case that it should actually be spelled mdma is a little cynical imo :D atleast I have felt a unique vibe of tranquil and people in psychic unison in smaller parties, without any drugs.

It occured to me that I have indeed encountered elitism...

I have only one thing to say to that:

Its not MY job, to accomodate YOUR hangups. Im not about to bend over backwards to avoid presenting YOU with something YOU find distasteful. Its your problem if something bothers you, not the thing that bothers you. If it bothers you, you probably should come to terms with it, then it wont bother you anymore. Is that so hard, and is that too much to ask?