Do mini-jack connectors belong to the past ?

I am looking for a "pro" (yet cheap) soundcard, and was intersted in popular models such as EMU 1212M or M-AUDIO DELTA AUDIOPHILE 2496, since I read very positive reviews for those.

But one thing suprised me : none of them have a mini-jack output.

That's a problem since both my speaker and headphone have a minijack connector.

Maybe it's not used anymore in the pro-world ?

They all offer spdif or 1/4" outputs, but no 3.5mm jack. :(

Should I buy new headphones together with a new soundcard ?

Or should I use an adaptator ?

And what is this spdif thing ? The spdif I/O on the AUDIOPHILE 2496 look like an ordinary minijack connector .... :unsure:

Please help !!!

I am looking for a "pro" (yet cheap) soundcard, and was intersted in popular models such as EMU 1212M or M-AUDIO DELTA AUDIOPHILE 2496, since I read very positive reviews for those.

But one thing suprised me : none of them have a mini-jack output.

That's a problem since both my speaker and headphone have a minijack connector.

Maybe it's not used anymore in the pro-world ?

They all offer spdif or 1/4" outputs, but no 3.5mm jack. :(

Should I buy new headphones together with a new soundcard ?

Or should I use an adaptator ?

And what is this spdif thing ? The spdif I/O on the AUDIOPHILE 2496 look like an ordinary minijack connector .... :unsure:

Please help !!!

spdif is a digital output, coaxial or optical. (depends on soundcard, some have both)

to your question, it depends what you want to do with that soundcard.

i assume you have desktop speakers with 3.5mm jack connector? with such you wont come far in producing...

but you can use them as long as you want to, your headphones, too, you just need an adaptor. (3.5mm to 6.3mm).

what do you plan to do with your soundcard?

spdif is a digital output, coaxial or optical. (depends on soundcard, some have both)

to your question, it depends what you want to do with that soundcard.

i assume you have desktop speakers with 3.5mm jack connector? with such you wont come far in producing...

but you can use them as long as you want to, your headphones, too, you just need an adaptor. (3.5mm to 6.3mm).

what do you plan to do with your soundcard?

Thanks for your help.

You assumed well, I have a very basic pair of desktop speakers and yes, I'd like to start producing music SERIOUSLY.

That's why I mostly use my headphones for producing. It's a BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro and I'd like to keep them, as they costed me 150€. Which is a lot !

An 3.5mm to 6.35mm adaptator was included with the DT 770 Pro. I guess it's the only solution.

I have to use an adapter with my Sennheiser headphones. It's quite irritating, because the adapter is bloody huge, and if it's somehow pulled or twisted it doesn't let the signal through well.

You mean that the adapter has a negative effect on the sound quality ?

That's what I fear. I don't want to pay that much and then realize that I made a mistake.

Hi McKoy

That's why I mostly use my headphones for producing. It's a BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro and I'd like to keep them, as they costed me 150€. Which is a lot !

You should be aware that headphones only deliver direct sound to your ear with no reflections from a room, because there is no room. This mean things will sound different when played back on speakers. You can read some information here: http://www.midnightwalrus.com/Canz3D

and here

http://www.ohl.to/audio-tools-and-thoughts...for-headphones/

An 3.5mm to 6.35mm adaptator was included with the DT 770 Pro. I guess it's the only solution.

Professional soundcards usually split stereo signal in 'Left and Right' with seperate plugs for each, furthermore they are often 'balanced' meaning that each plug carries 3 signals. If that is the case you got a good soundcard but can not use the adapter.

What i would advice you to do is buy a little mixer with at least 2 balanced line inputs (one for left and one for right), 1 headphone output, and of course outputs for speakers. This way your headphones get a dedicated amp with the right impedance and you can easily switch between headphones and speakers or both at the same time.

I can recommend the mackie 1202 or 1402 http://www.mackie.com/products/1202vlzpro/index.html

That's what I fear. I don't want to pay that much and then realize that I made a mistake.

The only way the adapter can cause negative effects is if you are using a defect or wrong one. A proper working adapter does not introduce a permanent quality reduction. Of course good quality lasts longer i.e. Neutrik.

Bom

if you want to start producing music seriously, you need to buy a decent soundcard.

indeed you´ll have problems connecting you desktop speakers, but maybe you have a stereo you could connect?

anyway, for the first tries in production you can use rubbish speakers or headphones, its not important what sound comes out, but you need to understand/learn how production works, you know?

if you want to start producing music seriously, you need to buy a decent soundcard.

indeed you´ll have problems connecting you desktop speakers, but maybe you have a stereo you could connect?

anyway, for the first tries in production you can use rubbish speakers or headphones, its not important what sound comes out, but you need to understand/learn how production works, you know?

Of course Reznik, everyone has a stereo... start with the stereo and if you get hooked on production invest in a mixer.

No the adapter itself doens't have negative effect on the sound quality, but if I move the adapter in the jack it usually blocks the other channel, or makes some distortion.

No the adapter itself doens't have negative effect on the sound quality, but if I move the adapter in the jack it usually blocks the other channel, or makes some distortion.

Sounds like a loose connection, happens especially to mini jacks being carried around alot.

most cables today come in 3 forms:

rca which looks like this:

Posted Image

phone-phono-trs-1/4"-pl-bananaplug-whatver which looks like this:

Posted Image

xlr:

Posted Image

from my own personal experience, just about every home stereo fi hi gear use rca. low end "pro" soundcards also use rca. low end home sound cards use 1/8". high end pro audio use 1/4" & xlr. basically, there is no better thing. maybe xlr is better because it is more durable. after all, the electrons don't really care which medium they go through as long as it's good quality. there's good rca and crap rca for that matter.

there is also the issue of balanced cables, which is a technology that uses 3 contact points intead of 2 to eliminate some noise, google for it. rca supports it (i think), xlr supports it for sure (being a connection with 3 pins) and the 1/4" jacks support it if it's a mono signal which comes in a trs form.

trs = tip ring sleep, which means there are 3 contact points (like in the pic here). some cables are only tip and sleep, which means they are mono unbalanced. trs can be either stereo or balanced.

speakers will not work without an amplifier. headphones included.

there is no point connecting headphones directly to the "line out" connectors of the soundcard because you will not hear a thing, or you will hear it almost silent. you can either connect the sound card to an amplifier/receiver/anythingwithaheadphoneoutput or just use a soundcard which has one (like mine - motu ultralite). again, same goes for speakers. speakers don't have any input on them, rca, trs or xlr. they only have holes or ports for twisted cables like this:

Posted Image

this cables are used to take the amplified signal from an amplifer to the speaker.

most desktop speakers come with subwoofer combined with an amplifier in one box, and 2 small speakers. this is bad for music production! the sound will suck so much you wouldn't be able to hear what you're doing.

if you're short on budger you can get cheap active studio monitors, active meaning they have a built-in amplifier, so basically they can take a connection directly from your sound card.

i wouldn't recommend headphones to produce music.

Thanks a lot for your help people.

Right now I have the feeling that, the more I learn, the less I know.... because I realize that there's still so much to learn.

Anyway, I think that I'll keep working with the onboard soundcard for some time, and start saving money in order to buy a new soundcard and an amplifier(or maybe a mixer) simultaneously. Meanwhile I'll try to learn more about "the world of hardware".

If there are cheaper souncards wich include an amplifier, I'd be interested to learn about them (because the MOTU ULTRALITE is almost 600€ :o )

Unfortunately, I can't use monitors to produce music because I'm surrounded by grannies and I doubt they share my passion for psytrance. :(

Therefore, active monitoring speakers won't solve my problem.

Thanks again.