Serious question

Lu Bu

Ok since my peabrain can only understand fighting i will use that anaology but make no mistake about it this is about goa..

so i was listening to dimension 5 tonight, and im like damn thats amazing. so i said to myself im a decent fighter, alot of people think imma be a big deal, and so do i ;) but i been doing it as a kid so ive had lots of practice, as well as time to sharpen my techniques. but one thing you cant teach someone is the killer when in the ring.

so the question is, for those who really listen, and those who also produce.. do you think making and producing tracks is something that you have a "natural" talent for, or can you like my fighting actually sharpen techniques by practice and eventually become "amazing". personally i think to make amazing goa practice will help but its that natural talent that really shines. maybe a love and passion for the music helps, but like being in the ring you cant teach someone how to go for that massive KO, likee maybe you cant teach someone how to make leyered melodies like dimension 5, pleiadians.

discuss

I can't write goa, does that matter? Every time I try, it ends up being something other than goa.

Anything can be learned, but that doesn't mean that someone who learns how to make good goa will make good goa. If you learn all the tricks and methods and whatnot, all you're doing is making something according to a recipe. Betty Crocker music. The inspiration has to come from somewhere, and I don't think inspiration can be learned. Some people have the inspiration necessary to write good music. Others don't, but can play an instrument proficiently, and perhaps make their living as an orchestra member or some other sort of hired position where they play music someone else writes.

You know why the Dimension 5 albums, the Pleiadians albums, the early Cosmosis albums, the early Astral Projection and Ubar Tmar releases sound so awesome? Not because they learned how to superbly use studio equipment and spent countless hours watching experienced producers play around on their hardware and software. Of coarse that helps. But as another user so nicely pointed out before me, that only makes you another artists who is limited to following preexistent formulas and being bound by your knowledge, which was given to you by other people. What makes a true goa trance track, artist, album or whatever stand out is the natural talent. It's the way in which you use all the above mentioned knowledge and technology to bring to the table something truly new and never heard before. When you can put in music how you feel inside. When your music breaks the limit of being nothing more but skillful playing around with studio equipment. And that part is something you cannot learn. Something nobody can teach you. Something that you either have or you don't. And that is why certain artists create masterpieces in their basements, while others struggle to push out an album recording in a highly and modernly equipped recording studio. The ideas and the creativity you have, can be expanded, worked uopn, and improved, yes. But you just have to have something to start out with. And it comes from the inside. And you share it with the rest through your music. It is not something that you get taught and then create classic tracks.

Ok since my peabrain can only understand fighting i will use that anaology but make no mistake about it this is about goa..

so i was listening to dimension 5 tonight, and im like damn thats amazing. so i said to myself im a decent fighter, alot of people think imma be a big deal, and so do i ;) but i been doing it as a kid so ive had lots of practice, as well as time to sharpen my techniques. but one thing you cant teach someone is the killer when in the ring.

so the question is, for those who really listen, and those who also produce.. do you think making and producing tracks is something that you have a "natural" talent for, or can you like my fighting actually sharpen techniques by practice and eventually become "amazing". personally i think to make amazing goa practice will help but its that natural talent that really shines. maybe a love and passion for the music helps, but like being in the ring you cant teach someone how to go for that massive KO, likee maybe you cant teach someone how to make leyered melodies like dimension 5, pleiadians.

discuss

Hmmm, I think anyone can learn how to produce, if just tought by the right people. I however dont think that you can teach anyone to make a killer track writer. Why you ask yourself? Well, techniques are easy to learn, its like math or anything else, you just need a brain to memorize the stuff :) (of course this is my opinion only, i know others totally disagree with me here! :)).

I mean, there are laws in producing, and people follow these laws very acurately, however, its the ones that go beyond those laws, and experiment with the sound, that often make that so called killargh!

Another factor is Simplicity, the one that makes something very complicated/melodic/driving with just a few simple sounds. :) (See Plastikman).

So yeah, talent and also the ability to learn are factors. The BIG question though is, how do you find out that you are talented?! How do you bring out the talent in a person... we can never know for sure. I mean, Radi migth do a track today that to us sounds like crap, but in 2 years maybe that will be the new style of PSY (Im not joking here!). Does that then make him talented?! WHO decides who is talented?

:)

Nemo

before starting producing instead of directly starting the process itself,

READ READ READ,

there's a lot of info,

check music making section on this site

check www.istratrance.com

search for ableton, cubase tutorials/websites, whatever you want to use,

after that combined with the info referring to mike's 90% ;)

then comes the 10%, you're creativity, is that talent ? I don't know my friend, just create what you like ;)

some have the talent to know what the crowd wants,

your choice what direction you want to go :)

your gear, well check sites, you'll know what suites you,

get webspace ? for uploading tracks to get feedback from other artist, reviewers and etc....

Hmmm, I think anyone can learn how to produce, if just tought by the right people. I however dont think that you can teach anyone to make a killer track writer. Why you ask yourself? Well, techniques are easy to learn, its like math or anything else, you just need a brain to memorize the stuff :) (of course this is my opinion only, i know others totally disagree with me here! :)).

I mean, there are laws in producing, and people follow these laws very acurately, however, its the ones that go beyond those laws, and experiment with the sound, that often make that so called killargh!

Another factor is Simplicity, the one that makes something very complicated/melodic/driving with just a few simple sounds. :) (See Plastikman).

So yeah, talent and also the ability to learn are factors. The BIG question though is, how do you find out that you are talented?! How do you bring out the talent in a person... we can never know for sure. I mean, Radi migth do a track today that to us sounds like crap, but in 2 years maybe that will be the new style of PSY (Im not joking here!). Does that then make him talented?! WHO decides who is talented?

:)

Nemo

i like that nemo, and i expected a response like that because it had crossed my mind. tracks i like some friends hate and vice versa. but there are even some tracks (and you as a DJ) know that you put in your gig box and you can pull out with 100% confidence it will deliver. i think its the talent in the end. i have amazing ideas, if i was only able to like hook up a machine that could transfer my ideas into the mind of a person who is well practiced ;) in the studio it could be great. then again great to who? haha im so hungry right now

I'd picture it being really hard to make the trippy goa sound and creating the songs your head comes up with. I dont knwo how producers make it. For instance.. I'm listening to Talking Souls - Karma 209 now. and that main echoey lead or whadeva coming in and out - the bliss of the track. If i were to think of that in my head i would have no idea how to approach getting it out from the speakers. its amazing if someone knows how to do that.

I'd picture it being really hard to make the trippy goa sound and creating the songs your head comes up with. I dont knwo how producers make it. For instance.. I'm listening to Talking Souls - Karma 209 now. and that main echoey lead or whadeva coming in and out - the bliss of the track. If i were to think of that in my head i would have no idea how to approach getting it out from the speakers. its amazing if someone knows how to do that.

A lot of what you hear, is made up as they go though... (ME thinks), cause its like that to me. Inspiration for me doesnt begin with a sound in my head, it begins with a feeling of doing music.. an urge that is way harder to please than other things :)

well, scientists claim that it all depends on practice and not about some crazy genes, imo practice is the key :)

so id rather say that its just a hard work :)

[and little bit of creativity too :P]

Yeah u might have to elsewhere to find where talent stems, and as nemo said who knows and can tell whats tallent and whats not.

But missing genes or altered neurological development (or disease like brain-tumor or hemorrhage) could in some cases be a factor, but usually in the most extreme cases, when some of the boundaries in the mind is broken down and the "connection" to creativity get opened up on full throttle! But the difference between genius and insanity a close one :P

A lot of what you hear, is made up as they go though... (ME thinks), cause its like that to me. Inspiration for me doesnt begin with a sound in my head, it begins with a feeling of doing music.. an urge that is way harder to please than other things :)

Thats what I figure too and once they get their style and sound down they can flow with it. I again played 'Karma 209' today and realized parts of that song wouldn't sound right in any other production. its perfect. it amazes how really good tracks have all the bits and pieces stranded thru them perfectly 8)

• 1 year later...

discuss

both, talent & skill.