So I Djed for the first time last night!

Trunksan

Anyway, yesterday I was a my mate's saint day (Athanasios in Greek) and the DJ at the bar we were at was playing some old rock tunes so the guys asked me to go get some music and play. I had never in fact touched a CD deck before, I only put music in my stereo and press play, although I was aware of how DJing works...

So I played some tracks... started with some stuff from Twisted (demeretainement and unusual suspects) but exept for flying agaric the rest was deemend too heavy for the crowd. So I switched to old-school stuff like astral projection, MWNN, MFG and also threw in some modern proggy stuff (vibrashpere, Paps, Ticon)... I managed to get some good mixes with the proggy stuff but with the goa ones I messed it up quite often... I only got one mix very well, mixing Bust a move (IM) with LSD (hallucinogen), the moments where bust a move calms down and the quitar plays at the background I was at the end of the intro of LSD and kinda flowd nicely even though the tracks are quite different.

I thought that I was the only one really enjoying the music so I agreed to step down and let them play some Greek music... The reaction I got was quite surpising (the crowd mostly had no connection wit Goa or Psy) after 2 or 3 Greek songs they were all shouting:

Hey Baba (My nickname) go up and bring some madness... So for the next hour I played most of the same stuff.

I was planning to get some decent DJin equipment... One of my main customers is a Sound and Lighting importer (www.mega-sound.gr) and I'm very close friends with the owner's son even though he's just 17, so I can get hiqh quality speakers specificaly for indoor instalations as well as an amp, a used mixer and CDJs from his stock. for very low prices, in fact I think I'll get the speakers and amp for free! So maybe it's a start of yet another trade to learn.....

Like they say in Greece... Mathe texni k'astina k sthn anagki piastina.... Learn a trade and when you need it pick it up!!

I did DJ....prefer to dance...

when my knee packs up i may make a comeback!! :rolleyes:

I do both... and another good thing is that you don't get very stoned... Since you have to keep a lot of attention on the decks and music it kinda keeps you alert (that's what I felt at least), I mean Simon Posford was Djing and rolling joints at the same time and ott was eating some pasta at a twisted party in 2004.

Good story, and funny crowd you have! :) About the rolling joints thing: if you get some practice you will easy be able to do something between the tracks because you mix so fart. Don't worry about that! ;)

DJ'ing is easy... the jukebox kind anyways... turning a series of tracks into an adventure that redefines them all into a whole is something different...

depends on what one expects from it...

and NO, I am not saying someone can't just naturally pick it up...

At first i thought the title was "So i died for the first time last night, it's not that hard" :blink:

LOL same here :blink: and i was hoping no ones has mentioned that already :P