A TRiP Retrospective

Basilisk

Greetings all. I've been working on a project I call the TRiP Retrospective, a sort of psytrance "time capsule" reviving the old site in static form along with some stories about those days. As the direct predecessor to Psynews itself, TRiP was quite important back in the day! If you have any fond memories, feel free to write a comment on the main project drop page or jot a few words down here. For reference (now that it's up):

http://www.ektoplazm.com/projects/trip-retrospective/

Of course, if anyone has Jason C's contact info I'd love to interview him for this project... :)

Woow, interesting Scott! If you ever need any help, let me know, very interesting what you are doing... :) anyway, about the Trip site...

I discovered the site back then in 98 or 99... At that moment it was my only goa reference, the only place where I could find out about goa trance and their releases! I still remember reading all those reviews, seeing those covers... And the magic when I saw one of the covers for the first time! :) not much after I started to search what my favourite reviewers liked and what not... And like that I found my way in the old school goa trance scene, and thanks to that site I bought many great cds which are so important for me now I wouldn't even sell them for 1000€! So also for me this is pure goa nostalgia! :)

Hi all... I am writing a piece on TRiP, the old review site that some would say is the direct predecessor to Psynews itself. I am curious to hear people's stories of how the site might have influenced your entry into the world of psytrance, thoughts about the significance the site had, and like-minded things. Since it was a community site, and one that many of us have some thoughts on, I thought it would be appropriate to take quotes from people and liberally sprinkle them throughout my article... so, if you like, write me privately or post something here and I may throw your words in there (properly accredited of course)...

I know this is sort of an obscure, geeky kind of inquiry, but I cannot escape the fact that the site meant a lot to me personally, especially with regards to how I came to know many of the classics and gain some semblance of an idea of what this was all about... so I am slowly writing that story down... and like I said, given the nature of the site, I thought it would be good to hear from others as well :)

Peace.

Trip was where I went to read and write reviews back then..

There is an copy of a lot of it online, I mean there is a site on the net that caches old websites so its still there, in the cache.

If we look hard enough, we can find reviews by me, I can also name a few others I think.

- Krell

I still peruse the TRiP pages on a regular basis. It's fascinating to read what people thought of those classic records back in the day, and how the perspective on them has changed after the years.

It's all in archive.org. The cached version of the reviews page is here:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://third-...rip/albums.html

The cache is extremely unstable (in a given moment, some archived pages won't be available), and link references are not rewritten. This means that, to see the reviews, you have to copy the links from the album list page, search for them again in "archive.org", and try the links to the archived stuff until one of them works.

For example, to read about Darshan's "Awakening" we know the URL is "http://www.third-eye.org.uk/trip/awakening.html". We search and one of the archived copies we get is here.

Woooow never heard of this before!

I grew up with the psynews reviews and i thought these were the oldest...

I'm going to explore this thing...

There might be some interesting Nitzhonot reviews too! :P

-well OK, there aren't, but still...huge Oldschool database...-

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, I remember this site. It was autumn of 1997 and I was a sophmore in high school. I had just tried tried acid a few weeks weeks ago when one night I was going around looking for warez on Hotline (who here remembers Hotline Client?). I came across an MP3 simply entitled "LSD" and decided to downloaded because something with that title seemed appropriate at that point in my life. So I listend and was totally blown away. I looked all over hotline for tracks named "LSD" trying to find one that said the artist. Finally, I found a file called "Hallucinogen-LSD" and downloaded it and found it was the very same track I had been looking for. I now knew the artitst, so I searched AltaVista for "hallucinogen-LSD" to find out what this crazy style of Rave music was.

I found TRiP.

I found out what Goa was.

I found out about many more artists, in particular I remember finding out about Planet B.E.N, Slinky Wizard, the T.I.P. Color compilations..

I spent many hours in the school library during lunchtime reading reviews on TRiP, and also Hyperreal.

By cross-referencing with Hyperreal I found out about the stores where I could by the music (House of Trance, Throb etc) and eventually my first Goa party.

This website is associated with many memories of days gone by... being a craCy highschooler on too many drugs reeling through the hallways of my highschool, Hallucinogen blasting on my headphones and way to many drugs inside my brain.

Hahahahahahha I just found one of my old posts (it's referring to Hallucinogen-Twisted):

Tue Aug 25 19:07:55 GMT 1998

This album crakcs open your skull and bares your brain naked before heaven.... the neurological eqivilant of sticking your tongue in a light socket

shr00mie@hotmail.com

Oh, the memories... :wub:

Back in the mid '90's I discovered two things....Goa Trance and Internet.

I remember spending countless hours searching the web in the shcool library in order to quench my thirst for Goa Trance info.

I was completely blown away by the sound of this music and started saving every penny to buy as much as I could

Soon I discovered online stores like X-radio or Transient records' web store and rushed to my bank to get the money to get a international money order to send it in mail and then like two months later receive these super precious packages containing Goa Trance CD's.

Pretty much every order I needed to e mail the store so I could make sure they have the stuff I wanted in stock....

Right around that time...I stumbled up on this site run by some Jason C guy offering reviews of my favorite CD's and sooo many more I didn't even know existed. The site was called TRiP and I absolutely enjoyed reading it...and if my memory serves me correctly someone posted a link to Goatrance.free.fr in one of the reviews....and that's how I discovered Psynews.

Nowdays I don't use money orders from my bank to order CD's...Paypal transactions are much faster...I don't wait for my CD's nearly as long and there are gazillion reviews avaliable online...most which I don't bother reading too much since there are samples of music online.....but that innocent feeling of knowing that you are part of something so cool that moves you so much just like TRiP is pretty much gone....time to grow up I guess :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks you for your stories... I have been working on this a bit more :) one thing of interest... I compiled a list of the 25 "most talked about" albums reviewed on TRiP... these were the ones that developed the most buzz online!

1. Astral Projection - Dancing Galaxy

2. Astral Projection - The Astral Files

3. Infected Mushroom - The Gathering

4. Astral Projection - Another World

5. Hallucinogen - Twisted

6. Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger

7. Pleiadians - I.F.O.

8. Shpongle - Are You Shpongled?

9. Astral Projection - Trust In Trance 3

10. Etnica - Equator

11. Juno Reactor - Bible of Dreams

12. MFG - Project Genesis

13. Man With No Name - Earth Moving the Sun

14. Jaia - Blue Energy

15. Shakta - Silicon Trip

16. MFG - New Kind of World

17. Miranda - Phenomena

18. Pleiadians - Family of Light

19. V/A - Distance to Goa 4

20. Cosmosis - Synergy

21. Cosmosis - Cosmology

22. Etnica - Alien Protein

23. V/A - Demented

24. V/A - Israel’s Psychedelic Trance 1

25. Green Nuns of the Revolution - Rock Bitch Mafia

Of course many famous releases did not stimulate much discussion and reviewing (by volume anyway)... notably absent are:

X-Dream’s Radio (#27)

Koxbox - Dragon Tales (#36)

V/A - Yellow (#49)

Dimension 5 (#51)

Doof - Let’s Turn On (#71)

Transwave - Helium (#82)

The Infinity Project - Feeling Weird (#100)

Total Eclipse - Delta Aquarids (#127)

Keep those tales spinnin' if you got 'em :D

Oh god, Basilisk... I seriously don't know how you remembered this one, but man... respect

I have to be honest here: I use to enjoy a whole bunch those reviews back in the day, although I could follow throughout only the shorter and simpler ones. Why? Because my knowledge of english back then allowed me to concentrate and understand not more than five sentences in a row :lol: ! Then I'd get all confused and I would just ditch the whole site. BUT, just reading the names of those albums and artists meant sooooooo much, and only now, after you created this thread, do I really see it. Incredible! I crossed language barriers and all just to assimilate some further knowledge about this music we all fell in love with some years back.

Damn, now I remember how I wanted to get the Technossomy album (because of the name I though it would be some hard hitting, bass heavy and head noddin' music :rolleyes: ) based on the group's name, but after reading those rev's I was like "naaaaaaah!!!"

And Astral Projection... the guys who had videos on international music channels... Reading people's positive comments on their music made me unbelievably happy to be a part of it all!

The first time I have visited the psynews.org music community it was about in 1998 if I am not mistaken.

I remeber the site wasn't in that form of existance. There were so many reviews that kept me stay here and read all the passion that you guys shared with others.

I felt so shy to participate in.I don't know why.

Later, if I am not mistaken (2003) there was an interesting competition for making some free compilations with the artists participated here.

Still I wasn't a member, but I sent a demo to the admin.I didn't have any equipment nor I was a professional.

I just wanted to share my artistic point of view.

And guess what.My music creation sucks!!! :D

So later I think the site stopped and the people here made some generious attemps to keep it alive.

At the end of 2006 it was about time for me to join in.I was infected with this kind of music and all these stuff takes place here on PSYNEWS!

I found so many interested and mature people here that I could imagine!

Psynews crew,moderators,MARS and ANOEBIS thank you so much!

The Psynews.org Community will last for ever as all of us stay united!

The music, the ideas, the collaboration, the need to communicate and express your self is the thing that made to be an active member!

You will always be in my heart even you think you are ENEMY or FRIEND!

RESPECT!

The first time I have visited the psynews.org music community it was about in 1998 if I am not mistaken.

I remeber the site wasn't in that form of existance. There were so many reviews that kept me stay here and read all the passion that you guys shared with others.

That's impossible - psynews.org (goatrance.free.fr back then) started operating in Jan/Feb 2000 :)

I got here from a link in one of reviews on TRiP.

In those days I had no internet at home. The only place I could connect was univerity's library, where you had to spend 1-2 hours in a queue to finally get to the computer (in 2000 the internet access is Poland was still very limited). I spent hours (slow connection!) browsing TRiP's reviews, reading about all those albums I had no idea existed. At that time I had 2 Goa-Head comilations, few albums (Dragon Tales, Etnica's Equator) and couple of tapes, so I knew not so much about the scene. But it was all so exciting! I still love to check those reviews sometimes, especially if I'm about to bid on eBay for some old release and need reassuring that it is good and I won't regret - that reviews were more realistic & unbiased than today's reviews for those same CDs, because at that time they had no 'cult' or 'classic' status yet. They were simply just another new release. That's the most valuable thing, I think. :)

• 8 months later...

I have news! I've fixed up the copy of the TRiP web site I've had on hand for so many years now. It can now be accessed through this main drop page:

You are welcome to leave some comments about TRiP in general on that page. I will be adding a bit more content at some future date (analytic stuff dealing in file size as a measure of interest in a release, for example).

Please note that I have made some changes to the original TRiP HTML content to improve readability and delete (in a few small cases) vandalism and other garbage that had broken the display of a given page. Copyright statements and "call to action" messaging has been modified to clarify the archived status of the site. Otherwise, it is all as it was so many years ago! Enjoy sifting through the oldies...

TRiP was always my portal for me to the wider world of goa trance. As previously mentioned, I discovered both goa trance and the internet around the the same time in the mid-nineties. It was just really cool to connect to likeminded people around the world, read reviews, read about parties going on around the world and check out the various photo galleries. One aspect of the site that I particularly remember is their extensive external/useful links section. It would keep me occupied for hours and hours. I downloaded quite a few mixes from all corners of the world. Pretty mind-blowing stuff for a 16 year-old in 1995!

Hi all... I am writing a piece on TRiP, the old review site that some would say is the direct predecessor to Psynews itself. I am curious to hear people's stories of how the site might have influenced your entry into the world of psytrance, thoughts about the significance the site had, and like-minded things. Since it was a community site, and one that many of us have some thoughts on, I thought it would be appropriate to take quotes from people and liberally sprinkle them throughout my article... so, if you like, write me privately or post something here and I may throw your words in there (properly accredited of course)...

I know this is sort of an obscure, geeky kind of inquiry, but I cannot escape the fact that the site meant a lot to me personally, especially with regards to how I came to know many of the classics and gain some semblance of an idea of what this was all about... so I am slowly writing that story down... and like I said, given the nature of the site, I thought it would be good to hear from others as well :)

Peace.

i never would have got biot - saturation

if it wasnt a highlighted classic and freak51's review saying it was music from aliens off TRiP.

I remember it. I stumbled upon it in late 2000, early 2001, along with that really bad Dragonfly site that was up too long and the Blueroom site that also sold its speakers. I remember giving Pleiadians' Family of Light a pretty bad review. And I remember how it resembled goatrance.free.fr - one was in green, one was in blue, or something. But it was fun to find a group of people who liked what I liked, because until then I'd been on my own, finding what I could in obscure CD shops in Chicago.

TRiP yeah, good pages, had a lot fun reading there, and I just remembered all the stupid stuff people posted in the Reviews of the parties section... and :lol: its still there! :) Good initiative Basilisk!

TRIP?

Great site ran by really nice guy (Jason C + Crew) whom I had the pleasure to meet a time or two. Those guys put on some great parties in London too. I remember dropping a tape of just completed Spores from Space round to Jason's house (his memorable mum answered the door IIRC!) and he said after he finally played it that it was a bit too fast tempo for his stylee.

Well done Jason.

Mark

• 10 months later...

Greetings all. I've been working on a project I call the TRiP Retrospective, a sort of psytrance "time capsule" reviving the old site in static form along with some stories about those days. As the direct predecessor to Psynews itself, TRiP was quite important back in the day! If you have any fond memories, feel free to write a comment on the main project drop page or jot a few words down here. For reference (now that it's up):

Of course, if anyone has Jason C's contact info I'd love to interview him for this project... :)

That's a great initiative, very interesting ! :clapping:

Please let me know where I can find the old Psynews website (with the old reviews, artists infos & interviews,...).

Thanks ! :)

That's a great initiative, very interesting ! :clapping:

Please let me know where I can find the old Psynews website (with the old reviews, artists infos & interviews,...).

Thanks ! :)

It's all here, converted into posts in respective sub-forums...