headphone to produce ?

have no idea which are good or bad,

what the minimum capacity should be,

possible to give me a list, links ?

may be expensive but I'm also interested in the more cheapers ones,

just saying If I buy one, I want to buy directly a good one and not discovering after 3 months I'd better spend 100 euro's more for a headphone I can keep longer with better quality...

I even have no idea what they are called : monitoring headphones ? no ?

enlightment me ^_^

I would suggest profesionnal DJ headphones, like Technics or Pioneer...

Price is around 150 $

well the budget is 300 euro @ the moment,

question : one active monitor isn't good probably, for panning, you need 2 I guess ????

well the budget is 300 euro @ the moment,

question : one active monitor isn't good probably, for panning, you need 2 I guess ????

www.soundonsound.com had a very nice article about this pretty recently. let me see if they have it online... if not I have to dig out the mag :(:)

One word: Sennheiser HD-25

Notably the best portable headphone around, great monitor headphone and a great DJ'ing can!

I'll get mine anytime now :rolleyes:

make sure you don't get the HD-25 SP !

Posted Image

you have 2 wires connected here to the headphone cups, instead of 1

and they véry easily get tangled up !! :s

make sure you don't get the HD-25 SP !

Posted Image

you have 2 wires connected here to the headphone cups, instead of 1

and they véry easily get tangled up !! :s

You're right, I forgot to mention about that.

The SP version is a cheaped-off version of the real thing, so be aware!

here's the real beauty

http://media.zzounds.com/media/brand,zzoun...886bfc3af41.jpg

just soo... pretty :rolleyes:

and if you're lucky, you'll get the studio version, which has an impendace of 600 Ohms instead of the 'usual 70 B)

I disagree here, IMHO Seinheiser suxx big time :angry:

Do you have a better monitoring headphone in mind with really good price/quality resemblance and a very (and I'm talking about VERY!!) robust design?

Agreed, almost every brand has its crappy models, and also Sennheiser, which happens to compete in the mass-market.

But this, I assure you, is a golden crystal pearl.

Since I don't have the luxury of using monitor speakers in my apartment, I have to do everything with headphones. I've been working for a little less than a year on Sennheiser HD280pro headphones, which I think are nice, especially for listening, and after years of burn-in I feel they only got better and better, even with monitoring. But I felt I needed something better for pure monitoring.

So I just plopped down a chunk of change on the AKG K701 phones, because I feel I need every advantage I can get without having speakers at my disposal.

Link to the phones at the AKG site

Review at Headroom

I also looked at the Sennheiser HD600s and HD650s. The HD600s were my second choice. I'll report back with a review, although they say these have an exceptionally long burn-in period.

Since I don't have the luxury of using monitor speakers in my apartment, I have to do everything with headphones. I've been working for a little less than a year on Sennheiser HD280pro headphones, which I think are nice, especially for listening, and after years of burn-in I feel they only got better and better, even with monitoring. But I felt I needed something better for pure monitoring.

So I just plopped down a chunk of change on the AKG K701 phones, because I feel I need every advantage I can get without having speakers at my disposal.

Link to the phones at the AKG site

Review at Headroom

I also looked at the Sennheiser HD600s and HD650s. The HD600s were my second choice. I'll report back with a review, although they say these have an exceptionally long burn-in period.

The 650's have a more coloured sound in comparison with the AKG, but still really great to listen to.

Dunno if they're purposed for producing imo...

The 650's have a more coloured sound in comparison with the AKG, but still really great to listen to.

Dunno if they're purposed for producing imo...

Yeah, that was my issue with the 650s. They have a great reputation for rich sound, but a sound that is not as natural as it could be. And I think most would agree that when producing one needs to hear the sound in as natural a form as possible. The only thing I'm worried about with the K701s is that reviewers complain about the lack of bass. I had a similar problem with the Sennheiser 590s, which were noticeably short on bass compared to my previous Sony headphones. But it didn't take long to get used to it, and also realize that the popular Sony models are totally inflated with unnatural bass. I still don't know why so many recording studios use Sonys - the MDR7506 and 7509 models mainly. Maybe because they trade in sound for disposability?

I think we can make EQ presets for monitoring the sound in a normal headphone. turn the preset on while working with the headphone. But to make that we need to do a comparing with a good monitor. After making the preset check the sound in a monitor. Try till u get the right sound

Yeah, that was my issue with the 650s. They have a great reputation for rich sound, but a sound that is not as natural as it could be. And I think most would agree that when producing one needs to hear the sound in as natural a form as possible. The only thing I'm worried about with the K701s is that reviewers complain about the lack of bass. I had a similar problem with the Sennheiser 590s, which were noticeably short on bass compared to my previous Sony headphones. But it didn't take long to get used to it, and also realize that the popular Sony models are totally inflated with unnatural bass. I still don't know why so many recording studios use Sonys - the MDR7506 and 7509 models mainly. Maybe because they trade in sound for disposability?

Never trust a Sony when it comes down to headphones!

Also, what Kalki said, you could make a preset to crank up the bass a little.

see i don want to spend much on head phone cos i want to bue a monitor speaker. so i want a damn cheep headphone. which one u will suggest??

numark phx-pro, dj headphone, 80€, great for production.

i use them in production til final mixdown i do on monitors..

and theres not much i´ll have to adjust, so they work great.

last 4 tracks i made were almost perfect, mixed just on them headphones :)

www.soundonsound.com had a very nice article about this pretty recently. let me see if they have it online... if not I have to dig out the mag :(:)

I use a pair of AKG's for mixing down. I used to have a pair of Sony headphones that had this amazing frequency responce range of 50 Hz to 50 kHz but I discovered that listening to them for long periods of time made my ears 'tired' because of the high frequencies.

The AKG's I use now are pretty famous, go to their website. (Google it) I like that they have a high resistance now that I know what that is...

It is all prefference, but I prefer the closed-ear type myself for greater sound isolation.

I think I got mine on sale for $150 USD but they retail for much more I'm afraid.

Christopher AKA

The Sky Electric