Mixed or unmixed compilations?

Guest Cosmogenesis

mixed or unmixed compilations  

33 members have voted

1. 1. what do you prefer?

• mixed compilations
    • unmixed compilations

Guest Cosmogenesis

Hello psybros! I would like to ask you: do you usually prefer a compilation mixed by a dj or, on the contrary, an unmixed compilation with the entire version of each track? And, please, give me the reasons of your choice. :)

(sorry if this topic has already been written by the past)

P.S. : I will be gratefull if a mod can transform this topic in a poll, please. I tried to do it, but with the new configuration, I think I made a mistake and the poll didn't work. :( Just to put two choices there for my question: "mixed" and "unmixed" VA/. thanx.

It depends!

I usually prefer an unmixed compilation because I like to hear the full tracks

but if the DJ is really good & mixes the compilation in a way that has some kind of theme or makes it feel like it's really going somewhere!

But most of my favourites have been unmixed!

I prefer unmixed, so I can mix it myself! ;)

But its also nice to hear what other djs like to do, and get ideas. Sometimes its nice too to be able to throw on a cd-quality mix and relax without having to do all the work myself... Mp3 mixes online are nice but nothing beats a studio recording.

Guest Cosmogenesis

Hello psybros! I would like to ask you: do you usually prefer a compilation mixed by a dj or, on the contrary, an unmixed compilation with the entire version of each track? And, please, give me the reasons of your choice. :)

(sorry if this topic has already been written by the past)

P.S. : I will be gratefull if a mod can transform this topic in a poll, please. I tried to do it, but with the new configuration, I think I made a mistake and the poll didn't work. :( Just to put two choices there for my question: "mixed" and "unmixed" VA/. thanx.

Ok, you can vote now, sorry for the double post, I made a second bullshit. :lol:

I prefer unmixed, so I can mix it myself! ;)

Same here, not that I was mixing much lately... But I also appreciate mixed CDs since it's interesting to hear what tracks the DJs chose and how the mixing is. A mixed CD also has the better flow than an unmixed on.

Guest Cosmogenesis

unmixed for sure..

i buy cd's only to mix myself..

do you have a compilation planned? info would be nice :lol:

Yes, me and my crew have a second metapsychic compilation planned soon, but it will take some time as we are all busy in the team with personal projects. We start the work already though, and yes, you got me: I thought to make this poll, to see if a mixed cd can be a good idea or not, unmixed cd's are more classic probably but, at the same time, with all those good arguments on this topic, a new solution can be found to avoid this choice... :)

well what is mixed ???

that one track floaths into another, that I like, nice for homelistening...

but off course when it's mixed and the first 2 minuts of the tracks are gone then indeed it's not usefull for personal mixing.

Well I think it works quite well in albums that the tracks are mixed together to some degree, to give the whole journey feeling... maybe that goes as ligt mixing as mentioned earlier.

But when it comes to compelations unmixed, and no beat mixing for sure! But if there were to be an unmixed and a mixed version it would be interesting to hear some heavy mixing, but I will always like to have the opportunity to hear a track from begining to end :)

For me a good dj set is longer the 80 minuttes..

Its at least 1½ hour, and preferably between 2 and 4 hours.

I have never heard a dj spin a coherent set which I enjoyed for more than hours, and for the most, I think they are best served with staying under 2-3 hours.

Dj sets are now downloads you get from the net, and stuff you experience at parties. This means that to be successful as a DJ, you need gigs for promotion, and as much hype as you can scrabble together.

I think many of the old timers got their names from releases where they did mixed cds people bought, for instance the distance to goa series, hypnotica trance, goa core etc mixed compilation releases.

- Krell

If its purely a compilation, there is no doubt about it, it should be unmixed. :) I hate mixed compilations to be honest, if I want a good mix, I go and download a good mix or I get a global underground mix :)