All Facets of trance according to me (2007 version!)

Anoebis

Wow, this is really good. This is quite useful, particularly to newer arrivals.

You shouldn't let assholes discourage you. There will always be some jealous folks. Good works should be expected to bring some stupid comments mixed in with the praise.

Thanks alot for the comments everybody!

Well, I decided that this will be the final version, no more will appear, I'm sure someone can do this in the future :) but I had some dirty mails about this, and I don't think this is worth that!

This was made by a simple program called "mindmapping", so nothing fancy about it at all :D

• 1 month later...

Everyone has their opinion and can make diferent classifications because there is many albuns that cross genres or can be included in more than one genre like U.X. is very sapcey but its also dark goa anyway your classification is very coherent.

Nicely done!

I haven't read the whole thread so dunno if anyone already suggested this, but i think it would be quite nice if our dear mr Anoebis could fill this out with as many albums as he can think of, instead of just a couple of examples... so i can get more recommendations on nice styles. :P

I don't really care whether everyone agrees on which album goes where, it's still a nice pointer.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

truly xcellent, it was nice with covers but this way is much more readable!

it's incredible how many sub styles there are :)

• 1 month later...
Guest pilkesilmä

Looks like a lot time spend there Anoebis!!! Nice works....!!!

But where is Texas Fagott - Petoman's Peflett (2000) in the soumi experimental department (see u put Pilluminati Cunt Roll there) :P

Petoman was before Pilluminati ;) (and better imho)

well just a suggestion :)

ed: they might both deserve to be there!

... and "Texas Faggott" before Petoman's Peflet. Even better and more.. erm... truly-psychedelic-swamp-forest-sound-of-suomi-trance. The genre used here explains quite nicely why it's not so important to try to separate psytrance into official genres : ) We can invent new genres endlessly, it isn't really my cup of tea. Some persons have the tendency to arrange everything by putting things in small boxes. And then to smaller... and to smaller. I don't know how psychology describes the phenomenom : )

With psytrance I mean the records sold at psyshop, saikosounds etc., the festivals arranged around those artists and of course local and smaller things identifying themselves with this culture like I do. Quite silly to put any "more accurate" definition to these sounds than "psytrance" in itself is.

It actually gets more complicated and doesn't make anything clear at all. It's nice to describe certain sounds/artists/records, of course. But it's better to be done considering an invidual case and not trying to stick to that definition next time. That's quite off-topic, in my opinion. Artists have project names for people who are trying to find similar sounds etc. The project names combined with the album names are quite excellent definitions of the sound.

... and any fan of TF(-sound) should definately find the first self-titled album also. Very unique piece of music.

... and "Texas Faggott" before Petoman's Peflet. Even better and more.. erm... truly-psychedelic-swamp-forest-sound-of-suomi-trance. The genre used here explains quite nicely why it's not so important to try to separate psytrance into official genres : ) We can invent new genres endlessly, it isn't really my cup of tea. Some persons have the tendency to arrange everything by putting things in small boxes. And then to smaller... and to smaller. I don't know how psychology describes the phenomenom : )

With psytrance I mean the records sold at psyshop, saikosounds etc., the festivals arranged around those artists and of course local and smaller things identifying themselves with this culture like I do. Quite silly to put any "more accurate" definition to these sounds than "psytrance" in itself is.

It actually gets more complicated and doesn't make anything clear at all. It's nice to describe certain sounds/artists/records, of course. But it's better to be done considering an invidual case and not trying to stick to that definition next time. That's quite off-topic, in my opinion. Artists have project names for people who are trying to find similar sounds etc. The project names combined with the album names are quite excellent definitions of the sound.

This can make good sense when being philosophical about music, yes... there are no boxes, yes... subgenre definitions are too subjective to make real sense... but when it comes down to talking and discussion music it makes sense to try to get some order in the madness (for good and for bad) and here is subgenres a perfect choice imo... so its not necessarily done just to put the music in neat little boxes but just to make the common language more useful...

... and any fan of TF(-sound) should definately find the first self-titled album also. Very unique piece of music.

I would definitely love to get that one.... but its pretty hard to get hold of :(

This can make good sense when being philosophical about music, yes... there are no boxes, yes... subgenre definitions are too subjective to make real sense... but when it comes down to talking and discussion music it makes sense to try to get some order in the madness (for good and for bad) and here is subgenres a perfect choice imo... so its not necessarily done just to put the music in neat little boxes but just to make the common language more useful...

Neat little boxes are very necessary sometimes, you're right with that. And I didn't write too well up there, I just wanted to point out that there's far too many genres in the diagram. Up to the point of being ridiculous in my opinion.

Putting "psytrance" in the center and drawing lines to boxes "full on", "progressive", "goa", "dark", "tech", "melodic" is a good basis for putting those psytrance tunes into boxes in my opinion.

• 3 months later...

This chart is the most accurate (to dipict and characterize the Psytrance genre) I've seen yet to date.

It can be tweaked a bit, (perfected) sure. Overall, it's extremely well done.

Nice work!

• 1 month later...

That's great list man!

And since everyone has different way to categorize thinfs here are some comments/suggestions on your list:

-Deep/Floating Melodic Goa Trance and Mainstream Goa Trance could be in the same category, since the borders between them are not that clear. For example where Asia 2001 belongs?

-Doof-Let's Turn On although it has many acid moments is not that acidic to be in that subgenre IMO.

-Most Greek Uplifting have nothing to do not just with Goa, but with Trance in generl. They are more electronic belly dance. I will suggest you to change Cherouvim with a Cyan, since they are much more Goa-ish.

-Like I said many times before Filteria, Khetzal and many other artists are not new school for me, but new artists produce old school Goa (and I don't mean that in a bad way). But I understand that new Goa artists need a new, different sub category.

-The Delta-Schizoeffective belongs more to the old School Dark subgenre rather in the old school Progressive IMO.

-You could add more sub categories in the Progressive genre, like Dark or Minimal since tech-trance Prog isn't always minimalistic.

-I believe you could make two different sub categories for Mainstream Dark Trance. One will contain the Hard sub genre and the other the Dark Madness sub genre (like the one in your old list). For example Neuromotor-Neuro Damage is Mainstream Hard Dark Trance and Crownick-New Sappiens the same. The new wave of extremely crazy Dark Trance could be under the sub genre Mad Dark Trance.

-Psy-Core and Horror Trance could be under different categories. Many fast tracks aren't that dark and many Horro tracks aren't that fast. Alos Horror Trance could fit okay in the Dark Madness sub category since most of these tracks are very mad and ...well dark. Also Cosmo ain't Horror and although he has many tracks around 160 bpm is not Psy-Core either IMO.

-South African Trance must be in the Full On genre. They used to sound darker, but nowadays the tracks they produce are almost 50% morning and 50% dark.

-I just figure that you could have two different old school Psychedelic Ambient sub categories.One for Pure Psychedelic Ambient like Mystery Of The Yeti and one for Goambient, tracks like Astral Projection-Electronic.

-Beatless could also be named as Atmospheric, since many of the so called beatless tracks have some soft percussion. But it's okay as it is.

-You could add Dark Ambient too, for albums like Audela.

-For me Xerox & Freeman are more Goa-ish Full On than Old School Full On, if you know what I mean. The GMS vs Systembusters is a perfect example.

-You could add a Hard Full On sub genre. There are many Full On artists that produce hard, aggressive full on that isn't Dark. You could add a Freestyle Full On sub genre for artists like Prodigal Sun or Artifakt (which is more freestyle than the rest South African artists).

-Rinkadink belongs to the South African sub genre, which like I said belongs to the Full On genre.

-I would call the Psychedelic Trance genre as Freestyle genre, a genre for artists that don't belong anywhere else.

-Koxbox-Dragon Tales could be in the Dark Goa sub genre.

-Absolum-Wild is 100% Hard Full On IMO, actually it's the first of its kind.

-Space Tribe-Heart Beat ain't Dark, but morning. It's closest to Full On IMO, freestyle Full On etc.

With best regards, Ormion. :)

I'm curious for the next update.

• 4 weeks later...

snif, and i was looking for morning trance... now i'll never find it! :'(

;)

good job Joske, the more dirty mails u get, the better the road is ur walking :D

let them taste some cute colored butt :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

snif, and i was looking for morning trance... now i'll never find it! :'(

;)

good job Joske, the more dirty mails u get, the better the road is ur walking :D

let them taste some cute colored butt :rolleyes:

Ah de Steven is ier ook gearriveerd :posford:

Hoe ist nog met u jong?

Dieter

• 2 months later...

OK, I have refreshed it like 5 times using internet explorer and firefox.... I CAN'T SEE IT!!! :huh::blink: was it taken off or something?

indeed, the picture has been removed...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...