All Facets of trance according to me (2007 version!)

Anoebis

Jos,

a few remarks all imo of course ...

I think there are a few confusing things and that there are too many substyles

-suomi/funky : shizm is not really a good example I think it's more a forest than suomi style compilation (lots of aarhus influences)

-the crossover jazz influenced part can be left away I think ... most suomi is crossover and stuff like haltya,loopus is pure suomi

dark psy :

I think that the mainstream dark psy is a bad name since it's not really mainstream. It can also be left away althought there is indeed difference between penta and hishiryo so maybe :

dark psy : - dark full on

-darkpsy

- horror trance

I 'm also missing the term dark full on ....

I don't think that the southafrican stuff can be listed as darkpsy it's just dark full on nor does it need it's own division otherwise the russians, the danes, the greeks the israelis can also have one of there own

I would also leave the minimal darkpsy out ... it's not really a gerne since most dark psy is quiet minimal

deviant species is not dark psy it's more techtrance, or dark full on

maybe you can also leave some of the full on substyles out : euphoric/pop full on

:)

Jos,

a few remarks all imo of course ...

:)I think there are a few confusing things and that there are too many substyles

-suomi/funky : shizm is not really a good example I think it's more a forest than suomi style compilation (lots of aarhus influences)

-the crossover jazz influenced part can be left away I think ... most suomi is crossover and stuff like haltya,loopus is pure suomi

dark psy :

I think that the mainstream dark psy is a bad name since it's not really mainstream. It can also be left away althought there is indeed difference between penta and hishiryo so maybe :

dark psy : - dark full on

-darkpsy

- horror trance

I 'm also missing the term dark full on ....

I don't think that the southafrican stuff can be listed as darkpsy it's just dark full on nor does it need it's own division otherwise the russians, the danes, the greeks the israelis can also have one of there own

I would also leave the minimal darkpsy out ... it's not really a gerne since most dark psy is quiet minimal

deviant species is not dark psy it's more techtrance, or dark full on

maybe you can also leave some of the full on substyles out : euphoric/pop full on

strange gave him some examples of dark fullon,

rinkadink, abomination, phatmatix, maybe latest panick...

let's start a petiton :)

Very very nice list, atlast all of the goa/psy styles an its influences are stated!

But... Various - Psy-Harmonics Vol. 3 - Hacking The Reality Myth is misspelled ^_^

And also, isn't it Psy-Core/HorrorPsy?

it's oldschool goatrance in it's best form ....

i really like!

was nice to see that the South African style has their own section. But then again, they just do their sound different where when you hear it you know its S.A. I still put their intensity of "dark" as the same category as maybe Menog, Audialize and Suria. Which SA and Purtugese psy has their own style. so as someone said above it could be put in category of dark full/on.

Where would you put psy like the ESP album and what SElectric Universe and Space tribe usually release? to me its different than mainstream full/on cuz the mainstream is like 'dance" ful/on with lame as breaks and samples ;p ESP style keeps the sounds a soaring.

• 2 weeks later...

no offence meant, but i find this kind of pointless. good music is good music, doesn't matter what genre it is, and that's always in the ear of the beholder. also, i think sub-genres are more of a barrier to exploring music than a help as they build pre-conceptions. people new to psytrance should just be told "here's psytrance, dive in, you might get a bit lost but it's always fun and theres loads to explore", not be given a hugely complicated map, which people can't agree on the locations of the places marked on it in the first place.

sorry, just my two pence :)

no offence meant, but i find this kind of pointless. good music is good music, doesn't matter what genre is it, and that's always in the ear of the beholder. also, i think sub-genres are more of a barrier to exploring music than a help.

sorry, just my two pence :)

if you want them or not, in music there are genres & sub genres. There is definately a point in describing them to people. It's helpful.

EX

A. You should listen to the new album by Pantsy McShine!

B. What kind of music is it?

A. Oh I don't believe in music genres, it just creates barriers

B. Well, is it pop? Is is it rock? Is it electronic?

A. It's all of those and none of those, music can not be pigeonholed into such categories!

B. Come on mate give me something to work with here

A. Work is just for the oppressed. I don't want to give you anything to work with because then I would be an oppressor

B. Get the FUCK out of my house HIPPY :angry:

:P

if you want them or not, in music there are genres & sub genres. There is definately a point in describing them to people. It's helpful.

EX

A. You should listen to the new album by Pantsy McShine!

B. What kind of music is it?

A. Oh I don't believe in music genres, it just creates barriers

B. Well, is it pop? Is is it rock? Is it electronic?

A. It's all of those and none of those, music can not be pigeonholed into such categories!

B. Come on mate give me something to work with here

A. Work is just for the oppressed. I don't want to give you anything to work with because then I would be an oppressor

B. Get the FUCK out of my house HIPPY :angry:

:P

"psytrance" is a good enough sub-genre for me, but it's understandable if you want to split that into progressive, night full-on and morning full-on, anything else is just anal imho :) i've lost count of the number of times i've been put off listening to something because it has been labelled a certain way, only to hear it later on, without knowing it, and finding a) i really liked it and B) it didn't fit into my conception of what something labelled in that way should sound like.

"psytrance" is a good enough sub-genre for me, but it's understandable if you want to split that into progressive, night full-on and morning full-on, anything else is just anal imho :) i've lost count of the number of times i've been put off listening to something because it has been labelled a certain way, only to hear it later on, without knowing it, and finding a) i really liked it and B) it didn't fit into my conception of what something labelled in that way should sound like.

but to be honest, fullon is quite different from progressive now isn't it?

I heard that some eastern europeans can't listen to fullon & even the best goa producer who produced fullon would be the worst crap ever!

Some people do like the genres!

I must admit I'm crap with the genres

I generally have just a few

Goa/Psy - Don't care about the difference

Minimal

Dark

Fullon

Chill

Ambient

but that's just me!

Good & crap just aren't enough. I have different moods.

but to be honest, fullon is quite different from progressive now isn't it?

I heard that some eastern europeans can't listen to fullon & even the best goa producer who produced fullon would be the worst crap ever!

Some people do like the genres!

I must admit I'm crap with the genres

I generally have just a few

Goa/Psy - Don't care about the difference

Minimal

Dark

Fullon

Chill

Ambient

but that's just me!

Good & crap just aren't enough. I have different moods.

this is what i'm saying, your perception of genres are different to mine. mine are different to my friends. genres are as subjective as the music is. there is some over-lap, but nothing should be defined. people should be left to explore the music, define and invent their own genres as it suits them, rather than have everything labelled for them already... labels can often be misleading!

this is what i'm saying, your perception of genres are different to mine. mine are different to my friends. genres are as subjective as the music is. there is some over-lap, but nothing should be defined. people should be left to explore the music, define and invent their own genres as it suits them, rather than have everything labelled for them already... labels can often be misleading!

I think u got a point, but I just think it makes it easier to get idea of what people are talking about when "subgenres". There is a fundamental problem in communicating this kind a stuff in the first place (I mean talking about music) and this just makes it a bit easier. But as u say its all subjective and one has to always consider that, and thats all u have to remember when u r reading reviews or discussions imo. Other wise it would be even more difficult to have a sensible discussions about music which is by concept already a confussiong thing since we are all trying to put words into something that is a wordsless sphere, it all bites itself in the tail really. So even though u r right that u cant really talk about exact bounderies between subgenres and stuff I think the alternative is worse (all imho of course). (All words are by difinition false anyways since its all just subjective labeling of the natural world, and that we have to live with :P )

• 2 weeks later...

Anoebis - the next step would be to do something like Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music only more trance oriented... I haven't heard most of these album, I doubt I'll be able to get most of them nowadays, and I'm not even sure I'll like them. A website with sound samples for each genre would be very cool!

Anoebis - the next step would be to do something like Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music only more trance oriented... I haven't heard most of these album, I doubt I'll be able to get most of them nowadays, and I'm not even sure I'll like them. A website with sound samples for each genre would be very cool!

Cool idea :D

Maybe it would take a bit of time & effort though!

Thanks alot for the comments everybody!

Well, I decided that this will be the final version, no more will appear, I'm sure someone can do this in the future :) but I had some dirty mails about this, and I don't think this is worth that!

This was made by a simple program called "mindmapping", so nothing fancy about it at all :D

Anubis,you shouldn't have deleted the old thread....there was a lot of interesting talk in there...maybe you can merge it with this one....??? ;):)

it is ins't deleted, just unpinned, so it is somewhere in hyperpsynewssphere :)

about the mails; this is an extract

"how dare you to call full on mainstream or music! you know shit, you are so stupid! I can not imagine Suntrip is lead by a dumb person like you! Go fuck yourselve and teach some other people"

"how dare you to call full on mainstream or music! you know shit, you are so stupid! I can not imagine Suntrip is lead by a dumb person like you! Go fuck yourselve and teach some other people"

Suntrip Records I think you are going very well. Otherwise you wouldn't receive so 'nice competitive' e-mails!

Congrats!

Does it hurt so much you competitors of Suntrip Records!

You are underestimate new Labels?

Suntrip Records show us the way to uplifting/experimental trance!

Respect GUYS!

Suntrip Records I think you are going very well. Otherwise you wouldn't receive so 'nice competitive' e-mails!

Congrats!

Does it hurt so much you competitors of Suntrip Records!

You are underestimate new Labels?

Suntrip Records show us the way to uplifting/experimental trance!

Respect GUYS!

lol, thanks, but it was via mail, not via pm here... so I don't know who send it... Doesn't matter anyway, but this kind of mails make me think like "whatever, fuck it" so that's what I do now :D