FLstudio vs. Cubase

The free kvr FX make cubase FX obsolete, and most of the fruity FX aswell.

Baiscly, what you said [to the thread starter] was that the red drum was better than the blue drum.

the audio studio you use has absolutly no baring on the sound that is produced. I use fruityloops, and it is more preforssinal than cubase, and i have used cubase plenty of times.

Z3ta+ in fruity sounds exactly the same in cubase.

Lol, lame UI?? I think you should be more concerned whether your music is lame or not... :lol:

Garageband has a very simplistic interface, yet I've done some pretty nice stuff with it even though it's a basic program.. Since I got Reason I never really went back to GB until a few days ago I decided to have a play with my old audio units - and I ended up coming up with a new track out of just mashing up samples within GB..

So it really isn't the program, but you, that determines the professionality of the music. ;)

My opinion since I tried out both programs:

Fruity-Cubase

sound quality: 1-1

The sound processing works exactly the same way.

functionality: 0-1

Cubase has more advanced functions than fruity. Fruity IS very powerful and often labeled a beginner program which is simply wrong, but Cubase has some advantages mostly in detail. You can edit sound clips very detailed and you can split fx channels (that is why sidechaining in FL is such a pain in the ass).

accessibility: 1-0

To put this short: Cubase is complicated, if not overcomplicated. Fruity is much easier to start with.

workflow: 1-0

The most important criteria to me. Simple editing steps take much more time in Cubase than in Fruity. I dont want to be a scientist, I want to get quick results. The piano roll in FL is pure genius, thats why I prefer Fruity big time.

overall: 3-2

It's after all a matter of taste. :) Get fruity if you want to put your ideas into sound fast. Get cubase if youre more into working on details and got plenty of time to learn your program.

the audio studio you use has absolutly no baring on the sound that is produced. I use fruityloops, and it is more preforssinal than cubase, and i have used cubase plenty of times.

Z3ta+ in fruity sounds exactly the same in cubase.

I seriously disagree with this. The program you use has a very profound impact on the result. Even if the processing is done in the exact same way (which I find hard to believe, but...), the way a program is structured and used, dictates your workflow, which in turn dictates the result.

That aside, a plugin like Z3ta+ (whatever it is), will as a matter of course sound exactly the same. It is the same code that is executed. There can be vast differences in routing, mixing, timing, and whatnot. I have neither tried Cubase or Fruity, but I'm sure there are differences.

To bring up the first point, I believe that when minimal requirements are met by the tools, the interface to these tools are the main influence on the result.

-A

I'm staying with FL Stuido too! Why somebody says that FL is not profesional?

Is it because of the user friendly enviorment :blink: ? The look isn't importaint! :angry:

You think that Cubase is better 'cos it has that freaky science look.

You're wrong! And look at the price. Cubase SX 3 is around 300$ :huh: ,

and go to the FL Studio official site and if you take XXl bundle you'll

see that the price is much higher(around 700$-800$). I'm not saying that

the price decides which one is better :huh: , but think this way.

If you are going to spend 800$ on a program, it must give good performances!

As for the researches, that Cybernetika done, I don't agree only for functionality :rolleyes: .

In my opinion the result should be 1:0, and overall should be 4:1 :) (FL Studio-Cubase).

I say that because there are so many options that FL gives(only if you know to use it),

and also they are very easy to use! :D

All in all, is't up to you! :D

Peace :)

Yeah honestly FL is a great program. Maybe 3 years ago when it was still developing and it was Fruity Loops 4 it had some short ends, but by the 5th release they pack as much into that program as any of the other studios have. What sells me is simply how quick and responsive FL is, I can get an idea down in the sequencer much much faster.

I'm staying with FL Stuido too! Why somebody says that FL is not profesional?

Is it because of the user friendly enviorment :blink: ? The look isn't importaint! :angry:

You think that Cubase is better 'cos it has that freaky science look.

You're wrong! And look at the price. Cubase SX 3 is around 300$ :huh: ,

and go to the FL Studio official site and if you take XXl bundle you'll

see that the price is much higher(around 700$-800$). I'm not saying that

the price decides which one is better :huh: , but think this way.

If you are going to spend 800$ on a program, it must give good performances!

As for the researches, that Cybernetika done, I don't agree only for functionality :rolleyes: .

In my opinion the result should be 1:0, and overall should be 4:1 :) (FL Studio-Cubase).

I say that because there are so many options that FL gives(only if you know to use it),

and also they are very easy to use! :D

All in all, is't up to you! :D

Peace :)

And excactly how comprehensive are your knowledge concerning Cubase? I just wonder...

Anyways, I happen to know some techno producers and they have long since left FL (and most of them even Reason) for more proffesional programs like Logic, Live, Cubase, Pro-tools etc... I don't thereby say that you can't get proffesional results by FL 'cause I don't know the program that well myself (I've only used it as a toy) but I doubt there are many (if any) proffesional productions made with FL as the primary sequencer. Perhaps for single purposes...

The most important criteria to me. Simple editing steps take much more time in Cubase than in Fruity. I dont want to be a scientist, I want to get quick results. The piano roll in FL is pure genius, thats why I prefer Fruity big time.

There is a piano roll in Cubase too.

I've been using fruityloops for 5 years and Cubase SX for 2 years.

Cubase pwns fruity bigtime in every aspect.

It's workflow is just as easy as fruity is you are used to it, it even is more accurate, better for fine tuning and has got a better sound engine. Cubase has endless options and after 10 years i probably will still be discovering new stuff i didn't know of.

Fruity is good for electronic music but cubase can do anything.

I haven't find any option in fruity that is better then cubase, and i've been working with it for 5 years. I loved fruity and always protected it as the holy underdog until i finally started using cubase in a serious way.

The major flaw in fruity is the CPU usage and lack of real time display. Fruity drains my memory and the CPU starts flipping, I hear all weird noises i shouldn't hear.

In cubase i can edit and hear exactly what the song will be like after render.

In all graphics or music production software real time has got to be the core element of the software. Complexity or simpel user interface are no arguments to decide if it's good software or not. You'll just have to learn how to use it.

all of them have their advantages n disadvantages...n fl has been killin it with every new version that releases...i admit fl4 was shitty but fruity 5 was a major breakthrough...n then 6 was even killa...the fl7 beta version is already out i suppose...n i'm jus waitin 4 fruity 7 2 release

now for the comparison if some1 makes u hear a track, there's obviously no way that u're gonna be able to say whether its made on fl or cubase unless u use the presets n sample that come along with the s/w...nobody gives a f**k about what sequencer u use as long u're producin some neat stuff

4 cpu problems,...well a good configuration is the most important for your pc/laptop if u use a good processer n a good soundcard, there's no real time issues either

My opinion since I tried out both programs:

Fruity-Cubase

sound quality: 1-1

The sound processing works exactly the same way.

functionality: 0-1

Cubase has more advanced functions than fruity. Fruity IS very powerful and often labeled a beginner program which is simply wrong, but Cubase has some advantages mostly in detail. You can edit sound clips very detailed and you can split fx channels (that is why sidechaining in FL is such a pain in the ass).

accessibility: 1-0

To put this short: Cubase is complicated, if not overcomplicated. Fruity is much easier to start with.

overall: 3-2

It's after all a matter of taste. :) Get fruity if you want to put your ideas into sound fast. Get cubase if youre more into working on details and got plenty of time to learn your program.

and Cybernetika: 100/100 :D

Its easier and faster to produce in FL but Cubase is more profesional. Fl is more intuitive and Cubase needs much learning but when u handle it u can get better results from it. I think FL is more suitable for techno music while with Cubase u can create anything from classical music to psy trance. I first began with FL but as soon as Reason 3 came out I have left it, although earlier versions of Reason sucked. I think best combination is Reason, Rebirth, Cubase and bunch of VSTs.. That way u can have best of all the programs (excluding FL).. I think FL now supports VSTs and that makes him much better but still Im standing on the Cubase side..

The major flaw in fruity is the CPU usage and lack of real time display. Fruity drains my memory and the CPU starts flipping, I hear all weird noises i shouldn't hear.

I have this prblem too,but it so serious that I cant hear what I am making.I have to export to wav/mp3 to listen.

the sound skips and pops... :angry::angry::angry::angry:

you think that if switch to cubase It will be fixed ????

My biggest problem with Cubase so far is that it is a huge CPU hog. I'm not super-familiar with it yet, but I'll say that creating a track with, say, ten different synth parts (using the Cubase factory synths) pretty much maxes it out. I'm hoping it's a Cubase 4 problem and that there will be a fix at some point in the future, otherwise I don't see much point in using it for more than mixdown from Reason. Reason, on the other hand, can take seemingly endless amounts of synths and still not go over 50% CPU.

My biggest problem with Cubase so far is that it is a huge CPU hog. I'm not super-familiar with it yet, but I'll say that creating a track with, say, ten different synth parts (using the Cubase factory synths) pretty much maxes it out. I'm hoping it's a Cubase 4 problem and that there will be a fix at some point in the future, otherwise I don't see much point in using it for more than mixdown from Reason. Reason, on the other hand, can take seemingly endless amounts of synths and still not go over 50% CPU.

:(

i had a tiny light of hope but now is lost...what can I use that wont kill this retarded pc of mine???

installed it (flstudio) had a browse around, made up my mind, de-installed it. cubase all the way for me. on the mac I use live now, and I can say that I am getting very much into it... i can see the potential in it, for playing LIVE with it :)

It all comes down to taste, and what you feel most comfortable with. At the end of the day, its the result that counts, right? Of course every sequencer has its pros and cons... but to tell another person to NOT use one or the other would be stupid in my opinion... someone might think that the workflow in cubase is better, and the other would think its better in FLStudio...

I say this: Try every damn thing that you can try, make up your mind what suits your needs, and best... then stick with that :)

Peace,

Nemo

installed it (flstudio) had a browse around, made up my mind, de-installed it. cubase all the way for me. on the mac I use live now, and I can say that I am getting very much into it... i can see the potential in it, for playing LIVE with it :)

It all comes down to taste, and what you feel most comfortable with. At the end of the day, its the result that counts, right? Of course every sequencer has its pros and cons... but to tell another person to NOT use one or the other would be stupid in my opinion... someone might think that the workflow in cubase is better, and the other would think its better in FLStudio...

I say this: Try every damn thing that you can try, make up your mind what suits your needs, and best... then stick with that :)

Peace,

Nemo

yep thats very true..!!

btw can you suggest a prog that wont tax my pc to the point that Ic ant work???

I am being soooo limited by my hardware... :(