Quote from Quirk interview

Trolsk

This is a quote from a Quirk interview from 1998. They're talking about their masterpiece debut album:

"With a lot of trance albums simply a collection of full-on tunes with a short shelf life, Mark and Tim aimed to create a package that wouldn't be disposable, something from which different parts would stand out the more it got listened to. "We wanted people to find reference in it at different times over as long a period as possible, so that it's not just a throw-away as a record," says Tim. "The problem with an artist album where you have, say, nine high-quality but quite similar-sounding dance tracks one after another is that most people find their favorites ones, listen to them a few times, and then that's the end of that. With DJs, it's worse, it goes out of their record box after a couple of months." The answer to that problem was to experiment with as many possible styles within the parameters of electronic dance music that they could. And this they have done."

I found it funny how the first couple of sentences of the quote is relevant even today, might put things in perspective.

The rest of the interview:

http://www.markainley.com/music/electronic...hive/quirk.html

If you haven't heard their debut album, you need to look it up, it's an essential journey album.

Thanks to this thread I've found the Quirk album for 1.99$, and it's even the Matsuri release (at least that's what they say). It's from an Ebay shop that usually sells death metal and the likes. :huh:

Edit: The same shop offers Language Of Light 3 for 99 cents, labeled as Trip-Hop btw. ;) Also bought that.

Heh, funny qoute... gotta love "Lofi Scifi" !

Guest The Journey Man Project

always loved Ping, oe of the best tracks from the 90's for sure... the alien atmosphere, of being on another planet, is done soooo well!! I find it fascinating that their idea of alive show is what I always had in mind, a dj mixing the beats and basslines on cd or vinyl and the artist just playing with his synths and samplers...

always loved Ping, oe of the best tracks from the 90's for sure... the alien atmosphere, of being on another planet, is done soooo well!!

hm I never had a feeling of aliens nor space while listening to this track, probably because it has tons of those nice 3D ping-pong sounds in it, which is a sport right here, down on earth!

I remeber heaing it back in like 1998 at a beach doof in Byon Bay at like 4am in the morning tripping out and could see these two like gorgeous female aliens playing table tennis on like this really weird alien planets... was one of the better trips I had...

I find it fascinating that their idea of alive show is what I always had in mind, a dj mixing the beats and basslines on cd or vinyl and the artist just playing with his synths and samplers...

I believe Son Kite are doing it the same way.

nh from what I saw on the dvd of them live they have alaptop and 20 channel mixer fo 1 live track then they just mix in a studio track from a cd for their next one... pretty boring... I thought the dvd was bit lame-o

Did I hear a rumour a while ago that there was going to be a new album under the Quirk name?

Let me phrase that better as you don't know what I heard or not.

Was there a rumour a while ago that there was going to be a new album under the Quirk name?

not to my knowledge, Mark Allen played agig about 2 years ago her ein Melbourne, and was quted as saying he had left the psy trance scene for good... his set was mainly housey progressive stuff that you;d here in a club...

not to my knowledge, Mark Allen played agig about 2 years ago her ein Melbourne, and was quted as saying he had left the psy trance scene for good... his set was mainly housey progressive stuff that you;d here in a club...

:(

Wonder what the hell it was I heard then :unsure:

nah don;t stress pople have been spreading this rumour for ages... they produced some stuff as Allen & Heath I think, progressive style, their track Buzzer was featured on the v.a -"Digital DJ" on Digital Structures... I think they just got older...

This is a quote from a Quirk interview from 1998. They're talking about their masterpiece debut album:

"With a lot of trance albums simply a collection of full-on tunes with a short shelf life, Mark and Tim aimed to create a package that wouldn't be disposable, something from which different parts would stand out the more it got listened to. "We wanted people to find reference in it at different times over as long a period as possible, so that it's not just a throw-away as a record," says Tim. "The problem with an artist album where you have, say, nine high-quality but quite similar-sounding dance tracks one after another is that most people find their favorites ones, listen to them a few times, and then that's the end of that. With DJs, it's worse, it goes out of their record box after a couple of months." The answer to that problem was to experiment with as many possible styles within the parameters of electronic dance music that they could. And this they have done."

indeed short but nice said

AFAIK Mark Allen quit the scene in favor of career as a lawyer.

nah don;t stress pople have been spreading this rumour for ages... they produced some stuff as Allen & Heath I think, progressive style, their track Buzzer was featured on the v.a -"Digital DJ" on Digital Structures... I think they just got older...

Allen & Healy is the name. Allen & Heath is the DJ equipment manufacturer.