Psytrance CDs or Vinyls?

psytimeofmylife

Psytrance CDs or Vinyls?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What do you preffer? ;)

• Vinyl
    • CD

As asked above, what kind of medium do you preffer: cds or vinyls for listening to psytrance? (or any other kinds of music..)

Personally, I like vinyls better. I think the sounds is better, more full and it fills the room; but maybe that's just my feeling. Also vinyls live longer (cd rot). I mean, I have some from the 50s and you can still listen to them (they just have some scratches, that don't really produce skipping). With CDs, I'm not that lucky; they get scratched easily. I'm not talking about the deep scrathes, that produce skipping. Also what I don't like about them is, that when you scratched it you can't just lift the needle (or how do you call that in english) and play it on the other part of the medium.. you have to Fast forwards or something like that, to listen to the whole song. Vinyls also give some kind of ritual when listening to psytrance.. when you clean it, put it on, set the 33 or 45speed..

I could keep counting pros and cons for both, but I'm wondering what do you think? And why?

(khm.. I now that Cds have more space and things like that I just didn't wont to emphasize it.. I love vinyls!)

I like them both but since i discovered (read started using, i don't live in burundi) vinyl, that was 2 years ago maximum, i appreciate a lot the sound quality and yes they seem to be lasting longer than our cds.. even if i have to find someone claiming an orginal cd from the 80s is not working anymore. to me is just maybe an issue of how u keep them but i have the feeling original cds may last forever too (unless u scratch them of course).

A rather tough decision to make for me. In the end I go for the Cds. Mainly because they play longer without you having to change side or put another disc up. ;) But both have their advantages. A very good thing with vinyls is, that you have way larger coverart, besides the fact that the typical vinyl sound is very nice to hear.

Guest The Journey Man Project

I can;t choose... I am yet to own my own vinyl but I love vinyl because the size of the cover is much bigger and more intense... my mate laid his 150 psy/goa vinyl collection on the floow when we were tripping and it was just awesoe, I sunk so deep into the picture, really blew my mind!

While vinyl definately has some advantages, nicer warmer sound etc, I find CDs to be much more convenient. Especially when you have a real album which is arranged & flows perfectly. So I opted for CDs.

CDs obviously. They last longer unless you're REALLY, *REALLY* careful with your vinyls which wear down by playing only. They're handier, and contrary to what people say, on modern releases there's no sound difference since most source files are digital. :P

And even otherwise only the most trained audiophile ear can hear it.

CDs also look cooler. Purty rainbows. o.o

I have discovered my love towards vinyls this year ... and I'm glad about it. I now prefer vinyls over CDs pretty big time.

CDs obviously. They last longer unless you're REALLY, *REALLY* careful with your vinyls which wear down by playing only. They're handier, and contrary to what people say, on modern releases there's no sound difference since most source files are digital. :P

There is sound difference. Source files are digital, yes, but don't forget that their sampling rate can be higher than the sampling rate of a CD! Besides it is not just the sound quality itself ... it is proven that vinyls have tiny distortions in the sound which make it sound cozier, so to say, not so clinically clean like the sound from a CD. And that's what I like!

And it's just cool to actually see the "sounds" on the vinyl itself ... when you look very closely you can see the etchings :rolleyes:

And yes, I am REALLY, *REALLY* careful with my vinyls! It is actually a reason for me to like them because you have to treat them nicely! And I'm very nice to them :)

And even otherwise only the most trained audiophile ear can hear it.

Well, I can definitely hear it, the sound is warmer and the frequencies sound more organic - it's not just fantasizing, really ... and I'm not an audiophile, at least I wouldn't say that...

And yes, I am REALLY, *REALLY* careful with my vinyls! It is actually a reason for me to like them because you have to treat them nicely! And I'm very nice to them :)

Well, I can definitely hear it, the sound is warmer and the frequencies sound more organic - it's not just fantasizing, really ... and I'm not an audiophile, at least I wouldn't say that...

The very way of playing vinyls builds on degrading them with a needle, though. Also - warmer, organic sound - is a DIFFERENT sound, not a better one.

Plus you can see the music on CDs too, as prismatic reflections of light. ^^

CDs.. Less weight, more data storage, most common album format these days, compact, jewel cases replaceable if damaged/broken.. also I have 170+ and I'm not about to change my buying over to vinyl considering that cd production is more common (so you can't get all the releases on vinyl these days)

I'm not about to change my buying over to vinyl considering that cd production is more common (so you can't get all the releases on vinyl these days)

& sometimes you buy a vinyl & it has less tracks :angry:

Vinyl easily.

CDs instantly remove a lot of bass and also a lot of high end frequencies. Also if you are using MP3s on the CD then the sound fucking sucks really, compressed audio - no thank you.

Stick to vinyl - not compressed at all, sounds so warm. I dunno what it is about vinyl but its great :lol:

I was told that you couldn't get psytrance on vinyl? :ph34r:

I hope you can, I would love to start mixing it

The very way of playing vinyls builds on degrading them with a needle, though. Also - warmer, organic sound - is a DIFFERENT sound, not a better one.

Well, this argument was rather more valid in the past, when vinyls were played with gramophones with horribly scratching needles ... I mean, yes, there's still a needle on my vinyl player, but it's not scratching, you know, it's softer and slides gently and doesn't wear off the vinyls - or at least so little it's hardly noticeable - especially when the etchings are deep, such as in the EPs of nowadays. I have listened to some stuff of mine quite often already and there's no difference in the sound ... maybe after a hundred listens you'll notice it or so...

And the warm sound being better is a personal thing ... for me a warmer sound sounds BETTER than the clinically clean and "cold" one on CDs...

I prefer the sound from CDs over vinyl any day, and even the sound of Mp3s over vinyl as well.

I see no reasons, whatsoever, why vinyl would be a good thing in todays world.

Get over it, move on.

Rocks also make a much warmer sound when clapped together to form a beat, lets all go back to that, stoneage sounds are much more full on and quality in the real live performance is unmatched by the CD:-P

- Krell

And the warm sound being better is a personal thing ... for me a warmer sound sounds BETTER than the clinically clean and "cold" one on CDs...

A bit off-topic, but that is also the reason why I prefer low-bitrate mp3 (128kbps) over 320 vbr files. Due to distortion & cut-off of certain frequencies they somehow feel warmer & softer. I know it is not how it really should sound, but I like it - it's way less tiring on the ears, especially on headphones... And I always got the CDs on the shelve if I need full quality.

BTW, this doesn't mean I think that vinyl sounds like 128kbps mp3 -> it's just that the effect is similar compared to the sound of a CD :)

A bit off-topic, but that is also the reason why I prefer low-bitrate mp3 (128kbps) over 320 vbr files. Due to distortion & cut-off of certain frequencies they somehow feel warmer & softer. I know it is not how it really should sound, but I like it - it's way less tiring on the ears, especially on headphones... And I always got the CDs on the shelve if I need full quality.

BTW, this doesn't mean I think that vinyl sounds like 128kbps mp3 -> it's just that the effect is similar compared to the sound of a CD :)

Hah interesting! I never thought of 128kbps mp3s that way :lol:

I'm going to give it a try though, and see if I notice the same :)

I'm sorry but there is no way anyone can say that compressed audio sounds better than vinyl.

why?

because it doesn't, fact :blink:

Depends on how much you value crystal clear sound versus the hazed and dusty sound of vinyls.

I dont, in any way, find vinyl to be more "warm" at all, I just find it to be more distorted, undefined and fuzzy.

And yes, I prefer MP3 over vinyl, as I dont really hear the difference in a blind test between a well encoded MP3 and a CD.

However, I do hear the difference between CD and vinyl, and I definately prefer CD over vinyl in that case; that is really all the matters, final proof.

To each his own, of course - Im happy vinyl has almost left the psy scene, and I cant wait till digital / downloadable media is the standard, we are getting there Im happy to say :-)

- Krell

Each to ones own I suppose!

I think both have the pros & cons but when you add them all up I have to go for CDs.

I think a lot people think vinyls are cooler. If you have vinyl, that makes you a proper DJ :P

I think a lot people think vinyls are cooler. If you have vinyl, that makes you a proper DJ :P

YaY, I have lots of vinyl, and even a turntable! !!!

Im proper - Im proper *jumps around franticly*

:-)

- Krell