Help with finalising my studio

Guest The Journey Man Project

ok so I'm running Fruityloops... I'm using some vst's amd I'm experimenting with thtese styles:

House

Progressive Psy Trance

Dark Psy

Ambient/Chillout/ethnic fusion (Databloem and Dakini style)

Acid technp

I am thinking of grabbing the Novation KS4 as a synth and midi keyboard pacakae? (yes or no?)

I would like tips on some monitor speakers (max $550US), soundcard (max. $350US) and what other software should I look at? I"m also using Traktor DJ Studio as my studio mixer, whi;lst waiting fo rcash fro some CDJ100s and a Pioneer mixer...

drop the hardware synth and put the money into the studio monitors

no one wants you to get stuck with a crappy behringer or m-audio :)

What's wrong with Behringer and M-Audio for a beginner? It's not like he's opening a mastering studio. Don't be such a nazi baba. Behringer and M-Audio offer great products for newbies that will serve him well.

yeah was looking at Behringer... I thought that maybe to cut back hardware costs I could always grab another Microkorg... I just enjoy having some kinda synth when I jam with my friends funk/fusion band...

stfu pavel

trust me - don't get maudio or behringer. you might as well get some stereo hifi speakers instead. if you want to have monitors - get monitors.

you have no idea how much it affects your sound and production. what's the point in having a synth if you can't hear its output properly?

if you want some knob twiddling get an emu xboard61, great controller (really) and it's preety cheap.

about the soundcard - if you have a firewire connection try gettnig the tc electronic konnekt 8, it's preety cool and in your budget.

also consider getting 2nd hand stuff. works the same, costs less. :P

i'd rather trust my own ears

go to a shop and try them.don't forget to take some cd's with you,obviously.

which is no point since you have no idea how good monitors are supposed to sound i assume.

which is no point since you have no idea how good monitors are supposed to sound i assume.

:lol: you assume too much baba :)

anyways,i agree with pavel.you get what you pay for,no doubt about that,still both companies have nice products that will bring a noticable improvement to your home setup.monitors too.oh,and if you think "all" behringer products are shit and "for newbies" ,you should hear this guitar amp in action ;) not to mention the older compressor units,used by countless pro studios worldwide (if that means anything)

Active or passive monitors? If you have an amp and can go with passive monitors, ADAM ANF-10 would be the way to go, although they'd be about $750 a pair. In your stated price range, perhaps the Tannoy Reveal. In active monitors, the Alesis M1 active are pretty well priced, though nothing special. Also KRK makes decent active monitors in that range.

M-Audio interfaces would be good to start with, especially if you're using mostly softsynths, or EMU as stated.

well for now I'm mainly intterested in getting some keys and also a soundcard so the EMU midi keyboard and soundcard look nice... th emonitors, well for now I'll stick with my headphones and maybe talk to some local producers in my area and check out their studios first... thanks for all the tips :)

Mike

im very happy with my firewire 410. i will get a motu very soon though, since I want more INS. M-Audio is not bad at all when it comes to audiocards. I actually think they make some of the best ones out there for none pro engineers. yamaha have a new series of monitors that are nice as fuck. just go and compare on a shop, and you will have to hear.

the argument, that you can not trust your ears if you dont have experience though, is utter crap... of course you can train your ears, to listen for certain things, but in the end, a good engineer has is instinct, and his taste for styles to follow. your ears will never decieve you. Of course you can also be totally fucked, and in that case, no matter how good your monitors, it will still sound crap.........

Midikeyboard, I would still recommend the Novation Remote, since its the best one out there that I have used. NOTHING else has really given me what I want/need.

With regards from a drunk Swede!

Nemo

would love the Novation ones but they are so out of my price range for now it's not funny... for like 1/3 of the price I can get the EMu one...

stfu pavel

trust me - don't get maudio or behringer. you might as well get some stereo hifi speakers instead. if you want to have monitors - get monitors.

you have no idea how much it affects your sound and production. what's the point in having a synth if you can't hear its output properly?

if you want some knob twiddling get an emu xboard61, great controller (really) and it's preety cheap.

about the soundcard - if you have a firewire connection try gettnig the tc electronic konnekt 8, it's preety cool and in your budget.

also consider getting 2nd hand stuff. works the same, costs less. :P

Sorry, don't agree. I can point out many many great albums mixed on BX8a. The recent BT album was mixed on them and it sounds amazing

:lol: you assume too much baba :)

anyways,i agree with pavel.you get what you pay for,no doubt about that,still both companies have nice products that will bring a noticable improvement to your home setup.monitors too.oh,and if you think "all" behringer products are shit and "for newbies" ,you should hear this guitar amp in action ;) not to mention the older compressor units,used by countless pro studios worldwide (if that means anything)

just an assumption - assuming you never heard bm6 or p11 in action. ;) a lot of producers who never had monitors go to a shop, hear behringers and say "wow" because it's better than the logitech crap they had. of course it's better. but it's not good. not saying this is the case with you, just assuming :)

didnt hear the stuff you're talking about so i can't say. but i did hear a lot of monitors.

Active or passive monitors? If you have an amp and can go with passive monitors, ADAM ANF-10 would be the way to go, although they'd be about $750 a pair. In your stated price range, perhaps the Tannoy Reveal. In active monitors, the Alesis M1 active are pretty well priced, though nothing special. Also KRK makes decent active monitors in that range.

M-Audio interfaces would be good to start with, especially if you're using mostly softsynths, or EMU as stated.

now those are monitors worth mentioning. much better than maudio/behringer

would love the Novation ones but they are so out of my price range for now it's not funny... for like 1/3 of the price I can get the EMu one...

go for it. :) xboard 61!

Sorry, don't agree. I can point out many many great albums mixed on BX8a. The recent BT album was mixed on them and it sounds amazing

yea right. if he says on maudio site "yea i used them when making the album" doesn't mean he really did. so maudio gave him a free pair for some promo work. it's not like gimel yafit uses all the crap she advertises. :P i think you would know better.

if i can hear that they are crap and i'm not THAT experienced, i'm sure mr BT himself can figure it out alone.

drop the hardware synth and put the money into the studio monitors

no one wants you to get stuck with a crappy behringer or m-audio :)

esi makes good active monitors for like 200-300€ (depending on model you choose)

http://esi-pro.com/listProduct.php?ctgr=13

read reviews and try them in a shop.

better than all those behringer and m-audio budget ones :)

• 2 weeks later...

just got the yamaha hs 50m. pretty happy with them. they are 300 euro's a pair and they are active. i am sure there is better ones out there. but for this price they have a pretty good response in the whole spectrum. They could do with some more power though.