Starcade - Fresh Cut (Pine)

Otto Matta

Hi. I've got a new track I'd like to share with ya'll. I thought it had a festive, happy mood for the holidays. Short, sweet, simple and happy. Take a listen and tell me what you think. I'd appreciate it. :D

Sendspace:

YouSendIt:

I liked it. The melody was quite pleasing. Gives the images of one strolling along on a crisp winter day, maybe along a chilly Chicago city street today. :)

I'd like to hear more of your stuff. Anymore hidden on the Net somewhere?

Thanks for listening and responding, guys. I really, really, really appreciate it. :D

Bahamut - You're right. There are a couple places that could use some ambiance of some sort. I'll see if I can fix that. And what can I say...I like "classic" sounds.

Stalker - Hope the mood came at a good time.

faze - I know Chicago well, and I know its winters just as much, so I'm glad my song could have some life again on those streets. I don't have anything online to hear, but if you give me a day or two I'll repost the last track I put up here, In Spectre Moodz, which I think is pretty decent but got little response, and has been heavily revised since. I'm only slowly getting better at production quality, so my earlier stuff gets increasingly sketchy.

Pavel - Good ear. I'm not the biggest Schnauss fan, but one of the sounds I made, the one in the left channel at the beginning of the first break, I named "Pine Schnauss" because of the resemblance. ;)

Thanks Nurbs. :)

Here you go, faze, as promised: Starcade - In Spectre Moodz

Hope you like it. It's sort of the "big brother" to the latest track since they were written back to back, and have some similar elements.

Bahamut, you might want to give it another listen as well, since I incorporated some of your advice since last time.

:D

Great job Otto, I was very impressed with Radio Interstellar a while ago and this has much of the same qualities that I saw in that track. Progression is lovely, you just need to 'refine' I guess... ambience does the trick very nicely, spicing up drum samples with delay/verb/distortion/bitcrushing etc is quite fun too.

Are you still working in Reason? If so, Scream 4 is brilliant for fucking up samples. :)

Great job Otto. :)

Great job Otto, I was very impressed with Radio Interstellar a while ago and this has much of the same qualities that I saw in that track. Progression is lovely, you just need to 'refine' I guess... ambience does the trick very nicely, spicing up drum samples with delay/verb/distortion/bitcrushing etc is quite fun too.

Are you still working in Reason? If so, Scream 4 is brilliant for fucking up samples. :)

Great job Otto. :)

Cool, Shaft. Thanks. :)

I try very hard not to overdo the effects on my drums, but maybe this is a mistake. I usually only put a little bit of dry reverb on them, although in the track a couple posts up I used Scream on them. So, is Scream 4 a new version, or is that the one that came with Reason 3? Yeah, I'm still using Reason exclusively. I have Cubase 4 but the bugs make it very difficult to use - not to mention the fact that I feel increasingly comfortable working with Reason - so I'm waiting for a major revamp.

Any new stuff on your end?

Cool, Shaft. Thanks. :)

I try very hard not to overdo the effects on my drums, but maybe this is a mistake. I usually only put a little bit of dry reverb on them, although in the track a couple posts up I used Scream on them. So, is Scream 4 a new version, or is that the one that came with Reason 3? Yeah, I'm still using Reason exclusively. I have Cubase 4 but the bugs make it very difficult to use - not to mention the fact that I feel increasingly comfortable working with Reason - so I'm waiting for a major revamp.

Any new stuff on your end?

Scream 4 is the distortion unit in Reason 3. Bit of a misnoma, I don't remember any previous Scream modules. ;) Though Reason isn't modular so you get everything in the program... try adding a little tape saturation on your drums to thicken up the track, delay is always fun to do on a seperate hit to get a dubby effect. RV7000 is very powerful for reverb, I don't use the other verb unit any more, just is too basic. :)

I'm trying to work on a new album, but this is hard for me - just going to keep writing tracks that have a 'theme' and something might come out of it. Also practically finished a new site which I could use for news and stuff, downloads etc. However I don't have any server space or any money to set up a top level domain... so might just have to get a free server (again). Sigh... Ah well.

Hopefully I can get some more free tracks together if there's odd bits of music I'm not happy enough to put into my album. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I like it a lot. A nice break from the daily hassle. I did three or four pieces like this a long time ago, and I like the simple puzzle-game atmosphere that comes to my mind. I actually ended up writing a "the aMAZEing labyrinth" game for my tracks :P

This is very cozy music, that just seeps in, and sets a good relaxed mood. Be sure to post any new ones :)

-A

I like it a lot. A nice break from the daily hassle. I did three or four pieces like this a long time ago, and I like the simple puzzle-game atmosphere that comes to my mind. I actually ended up writing a "the aMAZEing labyrinth" game for my tracks :P

This is very cozy music, that just seeps in, and sets a good relaxed mood. Be sure to post any new ones :)

-A

Oh, cool. Thanks, Amygdala. I didn't expect to get any more feedback. Much, much appreciated. I'm working on a new one as we speak. Hoping to get it done by a January 31st deadline, and will post it here. Thanks again. :D

Is it possible for you to PM or post an example or two of those pieces of yours?

Oh, cool. Thanks, Amygdala. I didn't expect to get any more feedback. Much, much appreciated. I'm working on a new one as we speak. Hoping to get it done by a January 31st deadline, and will post it here. Thanks again. :D

Is it possible for you to PM or post an example or two of those pieces of yours?

It's possible :) - www.amygdala.dk/Buding

I have been listening to a lot of my old stuff today, through my new Konnekt (sweet!). The four pieces at the URL are a bit more "shaky" than I remembered, because the sequencer I used back then wasn't very good. But it's there, enjoy!

-A

It's possible :) - www.amygdala.dk/Buding

I have been listening to a lot of my old stuff today, through my new Konnekt (sweet!). The four pieces at the URL are a bit more "shaky" than I remembered, because the sequencer I used back then wasn't very good. But it's there, enjoy!

-A

Ah, what fun! Happy happy, joy joy. They all sort of remind me somewhat of disco funk combined with video game music with more contemporary soundwork. Lots of nice melodies and stuff scattered here and there. Definitely good for smiles. Thanks for sharing. :)