Downtempo / Ambient

snowball

Its getting a bit old,me asking about ambient all the time but I have to do it once more!! :P

So..Xmas is approaching so I am preparing my wishlist...this time its filled with relaxed soundscapes... ;)

I have a bit of trouble with artists like Pete namlook,Steve Roach,Robert Rich etc(you get the style here....all those non-conventional,non psyshop artists ;) )....They have so many albums to choose from,and I am really having a hard time choosing...

anyways... here is the list for the moment...its bound to change though....(question marks mean that I am not sure about the album)

If you have any suggestions about exceptional gems that I have maybe missed,please please tell me!!! No recycled, ethnic sampled lounge stuff though,they just dont cut the acid test! :P

Looking for Deeeeep and mind bending music here... ;)

Tom Heasley - Desert Triptych

Tom Heasley - On The Sensations of Tone

Tom Heasley - Where the Earth Meets the Sky

VA - Australia: Sound of the Earth

Steve Roach, Vidna Obmana - Well of Souls

David Hudson (with Steve Roach) - The Art of the Didjeridu: Selected Pieces 1987 - 1997

Steve Roach - Mystic Chords & Sacred Spaces

Steve Roach, Jeffrey Fayman, Robert Fripp, Momodou Kah - Trance Spirits

Byron Metcalf - The Shaman's Heart

Steve Roach - The Magnificent Void

Solitaire (Steve Roach, Elmar Schulte) - Ritual Ground

Namlook & Richie - Hawtin From within

Namlook & Tetsu Inoue - Shades of Orion 2

Namlook & Tetsu Inoue - Shades of Orion 3

Namlook & Bill Laswell Psychonavigation 2 (and the rest of the series ?)

Shulman: In search of a meaningful moment

VA - Sanctuary Spectrum Series Vol.1

Carbon B. Lifeforms - Hydroponic Garden

YELLOW SUNSHINE EXPLOSION - VA - Spiritual Worlds ???

Carbon B. Lifeforms - World Of Sleepers

Solar Fields - Leaving home

Solar Fields - Blue Moon Station

Solar Fields - Reflective Frequencies

Solar Fields - Extended

Hallucinogen - In dub (Ott remixes)

TIP - MOTY 1

Ishq - Orchid ???

Ishq - Magik Square Of The Sun

PEAK RECORDS - Chillogram ???

CELESTIAL DRAGON RECORDS - Portal Of Perceptions

ULTIMAE RECORDS - Albedo ??

Aes Dana - Memory Shell

Aes Dana - Season 5

PEAK RECORDS - Chilling Goddess ???

H.U.V.A Network - Distances

PS : WTF happened to the forum??? Its all weird and stuff.... :ph34r:

Ishq - Orchid ???

ULTIMAE RECORDS - Albedo ??

For your question marked ones, I have both of these & they are both very good! Orchid is a better release from ishq than magic square is.

You forgot Slackbaba - And The Beat Goes Om. However, it's more breakish.

No,I didnt forget it,I listened to the samples....its very good,but not what I am looking for! ;)

Maybe if I get the urge one day to listen to some groovy bass-ridden breaks... :)

These two are okay... Chillogram I think I've listened to once, and the only things notable on the other one are the Capsula and Electrypnose tracks...

Pick this up too:

http://www.sendingorbs.com/content/artists/secede/tryshasla

There are a lot of fillers in those,but the 1-2 tracks are really outstanding...I am prbably going to ditch them though,as my list is already very long..... :(

Thanks for the tryshasla album,I tottaly forgot that one!!! :)

For your question marked ones, I have both of these & they are both very good! Orchid is a better release from ishq than magic square is.

Really?? Its better?? I am going to give it another try at saiko...I liked what I heard,but it didnt sound better than magic square....oh well, samples tend to do that :D

Anyhow,thanks for the replies!! If anyone has any of the albums in my list and you think I would be disappointed by them,please tell me!!!

Also,if you can suggest an IDM album that fits well the "deep and mind-bending downtempo" please do tell!!! :)

Also,if you can suggest an IDM album that fits well the "deep and mind-bending downtempo" please do tell!!!

Ab Ovo - Empreintes (Trippy, for sure passed the acid test.. ;) )

Ab Ovo - Le Temps Suspendu

Displacer - Moon Phase

Displacer - Arroyo

Ch. District - Slides

& a new release

Kattoo - Hang On To A Dream

also check PM

;)

I have included my opinion below on items from your list that I own. These are just my opinions. :)

Shulman: In search of a meaningful moment (Great stuff. I look forward to his newer release!)

VA - Sanctuary Spectrum Series Vol.1 (Sort of a yawner for me)

Carbon B. Lifeforms - Hydroponic Garden (Simply grand)

Solar Fields - Leaving home (His best yet!)

Solar Fields - Blue Moon Station (Very Good)

Solar Fields - Reflective Frequencies (Earlier work, his newer stuff is better)

Ishq - Magik Square Of The Sun (Man, this CD bored me to tears. I have tried several times, still boring.)

ULTIMAE RECORDS - Albedo (Good stuff, as usual from Ultimae)

Aes Dana - Memory Shell (Awesome. A gem in my collection)

H.U.V.A Network - Distances (The two stars of Ultimae collaborate to make a heck of an album)

some more opinions

Steve Roach, Vidna Obmana - Well of Souls:

Especially disc 2 is a very deep, eerie mystical trip, but might be too boring... it's very stretched, so be careful.

Steve Roach - The Magnificent Void:

The number one greatest achievement in 'beatless' ambient. The hardest to get into, the most rewarding in the end.

Namlook & Tetsu Inoue - Shades of Orion 2:

Nice... but too soon it is ZZZzzzzZZzzz for me....

Namlook & Bill Laswell Psychonavigation 2: Apsolutely great from start to finish. Starts with a beautiful and warm track. Tracks 2 and 4 are dark and very alien tracks with supercool sound design. Track 3 is a fantastic space jam. Track 5 a very weird ending.

Guest The Journey Man Project

You missed out on Databloem records... my fav artits from them is Mutagen, really nice glitchy dubby sounds... but I'd suggest going to Saikosounds and getting the three v.a compilations... the first one is 4 or 5 tracks that are all aroun 14 inutes long and very nice, the next two are full of shorter tracks and they are all really nice experiments into ambient and down tempo... I have their entire catalogue now and it is bliss to listen to the music... so muc variety and the quality is amazing!

Steve Roach - The Magnificent Void:

The number one greatest achievement in 'beatless' ambient. The hardest to get into, the most rewarding in the end.

So is this the one to go for if u wanna buy a Steve Roach album.... I have been trying to figure out which one to buy, what is like?

Have anybody seen the dvd u can buy at his site??

The teaser is mindblowing give it a go!

I was thinking of getteing that one too ;)

The man is freaking talented!

So is this the one to go for if u wanna buy a Steve Roach album.... I have been trying to figure out which one to buy, what is like?

Jup but that's my personal opinion. In the end you either totally love it or completely hate it. True art evokes such extreme reactions. :) Maybe not the best one to start with. Core, On This Planet, Blood Machine would be better starters.

My favorites: Structures from Silence, On This Planet, Magnificent Void, Blood Machine, Core, Serpent's Lair

Also good: Empetus, Soma, Life Sequence, Well of Souls, Early Man, Body Electric

Vidna Obmana - The Spiritual Bonding is a very good one.

And Ishq's Orchid is an awesome release!!

Here's something else for you:

VA - Wabi

Temps Perdu? - Terra Incognita

Woob - 1194

Robert Rich - Rainforest

O Yuki Conjugate - Equator

Thank you to everybody that put his input in this thread!!!

I am going to try and finalise my list now,considering ofcourse your suggestions!

I will report back when I will have finished... please do continue the discussion here!! It is very interesting

:)

Have u though about adding Solar Fields - Extended to your list?

Its more spacey than Leaving Home, not sure if its better but different it is! ;)

ed: damn just saw its on the list... thats good :) but as u can guess I really like it :)

Well talk about a radical transformation.... I have moved the most of the "psy-chill" (CBL etc) out of the list and added more alternative artists (steve roach etc)....I was getting near 40 albums,waaaay too much,cracy! :ph34r:

Now I have two issues that need to get solved...

1) As I intend to order SOME "psy chill", I wonder if you could help me pick the best of the best from the list (under deep chill-"psy-chill)....

example: solar fields, they have 4 albums,I plan on getting one,and get the rest later....which one do you suggest?

2) I havent found an online store that has samples for artists like namlook (etc)....For namlook I am going to use Groove Unlimited (groove.nl),but it doesnt offer any samples...I can go by gut and reviews if its needed,but a taste of what I am getting my self into would be much better! If you know any such shops that offer samples please help...as you can also see there isnt much namlook in the list...I wish I could have some samples so I can add some more of his work...

anw....here is the list, v2....(something tells me there will also be a v3 and 4 :lol: ....some key figures are still missing,like :vidna obmana,vir unis,FSOL,the orb... :wacko: )

Tom Heasley - On The Sensations of Tone

Tom Heasley - Where the Earth Meets the Sky

Namlook & Bill Laswell Psychonavigation 2 (and the rest of the series ?)

Deep Chill/psy-chill

VA - Sanctuary Spectrum Series Vol.1

Solar Fields - Leaving home

Solar Fields - Blue Moon Station

Solar Fields - Reflective Frequencies

Solar Fields - Extended

TIP - MOTY 1

Aes Dana - Memory Shell

Aes Dana - Season 5

Tribal ambient

Steve Roach - Origins with Artifact (combo)

Steve Roach, Vidna Obmana - Well of Souls

Steve Roach, Byron Metcalf - The Serpent's Lair

Steve Roach, Byron Metcalf, Mark Seelig - Mantram

Steve Roach, Michael Stearns, Ron Sunsinger - Kiva

Atmospheric ambient

Steve Roach - Possible Planet

Steve Roach - The Dreamtime Box (4 cd COMBO)

Steve Roach - The Dream Circle

Steve Roach - The Magnificent Void

Didjeridoo/tribal

David Hudson (with Steve Roach) - The Art of the Didjeridu: Selected Pieces 1987 - 1997

Deep Chill/psy-chill

Solar Fields - Extended

TIP - MOTY 1

Aes Dana - Season 5

Don't know enough about the other styles to give you an informed opinion so I wont bother but Robert Rich - Seven Veils is Good!

http://www.steveroach.com/Features/Kairos/download.php

that's just great...I recognize elements from some of his albums.. seems he made a big potpourri of it and added new elements as well

I've watched and listened some more and gotta say wow... WOW! I'm gonna order Kairos asap.

Just check that entire clip out. The music sounds phenomenal. I like the fact that it's varied and taken from different sources (from existing albums and new material all mixed together into something new).... So it's not just an endless exploration of the same theme, like some his recent and sometimes tiresome normal albums.

This is a great showcase of his music. And the visuals look great too. Steve Roach is simply operating on a different level, the guy is a fucking soundwizard.

I've watched and listened some more and gotta say wow... WOW! I'm gonna order Kairos asap.

Just check that entire clip out. The music sounds phenomenal. I like the fact that it's varied and taken from different sources (from existing albums and new material all mixed together into something new).... So it's not just an endless exploration of the same theme, like some his recent and sometimes tiresome normal albums.

This is a great showcase of his music. And the visuals look great too. Steve Roach is simply operating on a different level, the guy is a fucking soundwizard.

:) I was thinking the same... WIZARD!!! I dont know a lot of his work... only listened to one of his releases but it sure seems bloody fantastic! Like a tripped out version of Koyaanisqatsi (if anyone have seen that one...or Baraka for that sake) amazing indeed!

On top of my to buy list now I think :)

ok,so its done... these babies will (hopefuly) have a new home in xmas.... :):):)

Deep Chill/psy-chill

Solar Fields - Extended

TIP - MOTY 1

Aes Dana - Memory Shell

Tribal ambient

Steve Roach - Origins with Artifact (combo)

Steve Roach, Byron Metcalf - The Serpent's Lair

Steve Roach, Byron Metcalf, Mark Seelig - Mantram

Steve Roach, Michael Stearns, Ron Sunsinger - Kiva

Steve Roach - Fever Dreams (2cd combo,Fever Dreams,HOLDING THE SPACE: FEVER DREAMS II)

Mark Seelig (with Steve Roach) - Disciple

Atmospheric ambient

Steve Roach - The Dreamtime Box (3 cd COMBO) (Dreamtime Return, NEW LIFE DREAMING and POSSIBLE PLANET)

Namlook & Bill Laswell Psychonavigation 2

Didjeridoo/tribal

David Hudson - Gunyal

David Hudson - Rainbow Serpent

Huva network, and aes dana - season 5 ,I couldnt find,not even on Ultimae..... <_<

anw,big thanks to everybody that contributed and beared my endless mumbling about this and that...hope you also helped yourselves by helping me.... ;)

Now I just keep my fingers crossed that everything will go fine with the whole procces,and that they will make it on time for the holidays..... :):):):) *positive vibes