HELP!

Guest The Journey Man Project

I have a dj set on New Years Day at an Earthcore gig, I don;t have my decks but can practice mixing it up with Traktor dj studio... anyways, I want to know what you would suggest as a tracklist... Iwill be mainly focussing on sounds from:

Dakini Records (compilations, Puff Dragon album, Makyo album)

Twisted Records (Shpongle and Hallucinogen in dub)

Aleph Zero (compilation, Shulman album, Ominimotion album)

Left Coast Liquid (compilations)

Adham Shaikh (last 2 albums plus his new one)

stuff like this... if have ever dj;d chillout any advice is welcome...

Ta,

Mike

LTJ Bukem / LTJ Bukem EARTH compilation's stuff (Might not fit in the style you've posted, but oh well... there's more and better stuff than just 'psy' chill ;))

Ultimae rec. stuff etc.

Warning: self promotion....:)

But, anyway, maybe you a can include a track from Chill Tribe Records too:

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/ctr/

You have some really good music among those you mentioned there, so I'm sure you will have no problem serving a pleasent set anyway...!

Chill out is fun to play!!! You can play whatever music style you want, as long as you like the music and it is chilled... When I play, I play everything from world music to jazz (never pure psychill). At Boom, I even played reggae, Pink Floyd and traditional arabic music:)

Have fun, and good luck!

I have a dj set on New Years Day at an Earthcore gig, I don;t have my decks but can practice mixing it up with Traktor dj studio... anyways, I want to know what you would suggest as a tracklist... Iwill be mainly focussing on sounds from:

Ta,

Mike

I'd start off with something with a nice long intro... Perhaps Mi-Looney-Um rmx? - Slow the tempo down playing progressively chilled out music - then to almost beatless, Flute Fruit is a good one... then build it back up, maybe spin Jaia - Missing, and end with Shulman - Instability.

So..

Hallucinogen - Mi Looney Um (In Dub)

Pitch Black - Ape To Angel (Bluetech rmx)

Asura - Land & Freedom

Tripswitch - Exiled (Manta Mix)

Shpongle - Flute Fruit

(Maybe throw in Hallucinogen - E here)

Shpongle - Crystal Skulls (Western Rebel Alliance rmx)

Jaia - Missing

Shulman - Instability

By the way... I've never actually dj'd properly before in my life, but that's probably what I'd go with. Fill it out a little perhaps, depending on how long you've got to spin.

Ta,

Mike

Something to go with ott (he is a bit hard to play up if u want some dubby stuff imo) but Capsula, Talisman (Interchill) and stuff like that is always good! I also like some "real" dub like Mad Professor or Dub Syndicate ect.

R u gonna play some Androcell or Slackbaba.... can be used really well if people wanna dance or wiggle around!

:)

When I play its at a club.... *wishes* to be able to play real chilled out music once :rolleyes: annoying having to think of that people cant just pass out because of the tranquility!

Will u be able to "pass people out" or do u have obligations of keeping a certain energy level?

i would recommend like nt did to have a look at stuff thats chillout suitable but different from the 'psychill'. i played with snapinho this year at fullmoon festival and everybody played the same psychill. We played alot of different stuff and that was welcomed alot by many people..

there is sooooooo much more than the usual suspects from psyshop/ saikosounds etc. dont focus too much on that.. (check out some posts by snapinho for ideas's) cuz everybody has it.. sure its got some brilliant songs.. but there is more to chillout imho than just psychill.

And dont worry about the mixing :P nobody really cares in the chill if you make a little mistake.

enjoy!

ps if you need any help drop me a pm

there is sooooooo much more than the usual suspects from psyshop/ saikosounds etc. dont focus too much on that.. (check out some posts by snapinho for ideas's) cuz everybody has it.. sure its got some brilliant songs.. but there is more to chillout imho than just psychill.

There's still some good psychill out there, but yes, fresh music is always best... been into IDM at the moment, snapped up some recs from Merck and Sending Orbs - if you can try and spin Secede - Leraine, that's definitely a great chillout track. :)

in the chillout you can play a lot of very different stuff, without having to be worried about:

1 mixing

2 dissapointing people by playing stuff that is "out of style"

the only real demand IMHO is that you use your imagination/creativity. Make the set something unique!

there's so much different cool stuff out there... many have been mentioned before. Psy-chill, Ninja Tune grooves, ethereal Beatless Ambience, tribal stuff from africa (congotronics!!!) strange IDM experimentations, compositions in abstract sound like thomas brinkmann or fennesz, evocative japanese music like Susumu Yokoto, classic "ambient house" like The Orb or Future Sound of London. The list is endless.

Good luck!

How about some Ninjatune chilled stuff: Bonobo, 9lazy9, Funki Porcini, Herbaliser, Flanger (maybe), amon tobin (some tracks), Up Bustle and Out

+1

cinematic orchestra...

Some Klangstrahler Projekt could fit maybe...

(I would have suggested Chilling Matenda, but that might not be your style ... although you practically can't go wrong with anything chill...)

Some Klangstrahler Projekt could fit maybe...

(I would have suggested Chilling Matenda, but that might not be your style ... although you practically can't go wrong with anything chill...)

Hi all,

firstly to PKS... I only have the first compilation yet from you label but will be dropping in something from there... well I think that I"m the only chill out dj on the day, I think the rest will be playing house, electro, funk, psy trance, progressive but no chill out... I'm mainly going to focus on tribal chill out (Dakini Records, Adham Shaikh, Toires etc), some psy chill (left coast liquid, twisted records, entheogenic, chill tribe records), some funky cafe style like Macao Cafe and Life Is series and some pure ambient from labels like Absolute Ambient and Databloem... I have like over 50 chill out cd's so am gonna pack about 30 - 40 in my cases and just see how it flows... am sure it'll be fun... I'm planning to wear my Nabi t-shirt, just coz I am yet to wear it to a gig in Australia and I"ll post some foto's from the day up here... it;s a free gig but it's put on by Earthcore (www.earthcore.com.au) so I"m sure it'll be nice to put on my dj c.v for future events :)

I like to have other-than-psychill songs as well, I keep any kind of music that would fit the atmosphere in my chillout cd case. Thats all its really about, atmosphere. Most of the time I dont try to beatmatch, many chill songs are widely dispersed along the BPM range so unless you have a cd player wiht +/- 100% its not even possible. Usually I just play outro-intro. Its not dance music, anyway, so why not have it broken up a bit? If you do manage to beatmatch, it does sound cool. Just keep in mind the flow, keep it where you want it, let it go where you want it.

Well it's going to flow a bit like this:

1st 45 minutes Hallucinogen, Bluetech, Shulman style...

2nd 45 minutes tribal stuff like Dakini records, Adham Shaikha (his new album has many tracks to play!!), Toires etc.

3 rd hour true ambient stuff Ishq, Databloem, Boards of Canada and some of Aphex Twin's ambient works...

Well it's going to flow a bit like this:

1st 45 minutes Hallucinogen, Bluetech, Shulman style...

2nd 45 minutes tribal stuff like Dakini records, Adham Shaikha (his new album has many tracks to play!!), Toires etc.

3 rd hour true ambient stuff Ishq, Databloem, Boards of Canada and some of Aphex Twin's ambient works...

Sounds good! Can you record yourself live?

I'm not sure... might try and get my bro to do some recording with his digital video camera... maybe chuck it on you tube or something...

I'm not sure... might try and get my bro to do some recording with his digital video camera... maybe chuck it on you tube or something...

I was thinking like an audio recorder plugged into one of the output Jacks. I used to record myself onto minidisc when I used to have decks. I really should purchase some new ones!

Well I only got an hour to do the set but it will be a little something like this:

1. Adham Shaikh - "Sub Bubble" (Sonic Turtle) (forgot to bring this cd so need to find replacement)

2. Puff Dragon - "Lava" (Dakini)

3. Makyo - "Skin As Soft As Starlight" (Dakini)

4. Mutagene - "A Lonely Hill" (Databloem)

5. Taichi Masuda - "Drum solo" (Dakini)

6. Galaxy - "Disidentification" (Chillcode)

7. Entheogenic - "Spaced (Shulman Remix)" (Chillcode)

8. Shulman - "A Magnificent Void" (Aleph Zero)

9. Tiya - "Taxid Drive" (3D Vision)

10. Ishvara - "Nomad" (Virtual Music Reality)

Wotcha think?

I open the day up at 11am followed by a proggy/housey dj...