Good music is timeless.

Bahamut

Did you know there's tons of great electronic music made before 2006... there's so much from the 00s, 90s, 80s and even still some in the 70s, that I haven't discovered (yet).

While I mostly dig in the past (recent and far) to see what great music has been made, some of you only seem interested in the latest releases from artist X on specific psylabel Y.

I don't understand this attitude. It's like going with the latest fashion all the time...when the clothes are new they are very trendy and you wear them a lot, but a few years later those clothes will probably be old and forgotten.

The latest music doesn't have to be the best...better yet, there's no relation between time and the quality of the music whatsoever.

If there have been great releases in 2006, I'll find out about some of them, sometime.... but I'm certainly not in a hurry, because there's still so much I want to hear from the past.

Did you know there's tons of great electronic music made before 2006... there's so much from the 00s, 90s, 80s and even still some in the 70s, that I haven't discovered (yet).

While I mostly dig in the past (recent and far) to see what great music has been made, some of you only seem interested in the latest releases from artist X on specific psylabel Y.

I don't understand this attitude. It's like going with the latest fashion all the time...when the clothes are new they are very trendy and you wear them a lot, but a few years later those clothes will probably be old and forgotten.

The latest music doesn't have to be the best...better yet, there's no relation between time and the quality of the music whatsoever.

If there have been great releases in 2006, I'll find out about some of them, sometime.... but I'm certainly not in a hurry, because there's still so much I want to hear from the past.

+1

perhaps because back in the past there were fewer producers, thus sound was fresher and more innovative, needless to say that in the past lots of genres were not worn out and still had great spirit within them, unlike now when you for example have thousands of wannabe low quality copycat self proclaimed "psy producers" who add nothing to this music but quantity and dispersing quality into shit year by year, in general.

except if thats some "forest" trance, then im eager to hear it now :D

+1

perhaps because back in the past there were fewer producers, thus sound was fresher and more innovative, needless to say that in the past lots of genres were not worn out and still had great spirit within them, unlike now when you for example have thousands of wannabe low quality copycat self proclaimed "psy producers" who add nothing to this music but quantity and dispersing quality into shit year by year, in general.

except if thats some "forest" trance, then im eager to hear it now :D

I think Bahamut wasn't referring to psytrance, but more to ambient/new age electronic from the past...

I hear you. Stuff from the 70s, like Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze stuff still sound fresh, even after 30 years. And even if time has gotten to some of them, they are still masterpieces.

One of my all-time favourite albums is Klaus Schulze's Mirage, especially that Crystal Lake part.

I don't really care from which year or "era" the music is I listen to, as long as I like it. But I do think a lot of music (especially rock music) coming from a time when it was still a new genre does have it's special charm, due to more creativity and of course originality.

I really prefer Led Zeppelin over a lot of new rock and metal bands, because they were groundbreaking and you can somehow still hear that in the music. Endless repetition tends to get boring, that's why there are so many different and new genres, so a new artist can still be groundbreaking. For me it's the same with electronic music. I like to buy new psytrance albums though, to give respect to artist who still can manage to be original and for keeping the scene alive.

Well, while it is true that some of the best music is not some of the newest ... and thus I understand what you mean, I'm still the one that eagerly awaits the latest releases in some cases.

Take for example S-Range (yeah, again :D ). There was no sound quite like that before his time. I can dig back into the past as far as I want, I won't find it, yet I'm very enthusiastic about just this type of sound. So yes, in this case I care a lot about newest releases.

Or take Etnoscope. Is there anything as tibal and energetic, anything music-wise quite like the stuff those guys produce? There might be a lot of stuff that might head in the same direction, but it's all not quite like it. So yes, I'm eagerly awaiting their newest album.

Same was with Carbon Based Lifeforms' new album (yes, planning to get that one soon, now I have spent all my money on Saikosounds <_< ). There's nothing quite like them. I can listen to Jean Michel Jarre, but this music is not a substitute. It's something different just in the same way as CBL are not a substitute for Jean Michel Jarre for me!

Old stuff is surely nice ... but it's better when something new comes out. Because the old stuff, it doesn'trun away from me, I can tumble over it a week later too ... but new albums, when they are not released they not gonna be released and I won't ever be able to come across them...

I completely agree with you. I couldn't care less for new releases cause I am very much aware of HEAPS of old school music in any genre, especially electronic and the more I dig deeper into it, the more I don't care for new music cause it definitely lost its edge and creativity. There is literally TONS of extraordinary music from the past and like GRAMS of new music but the main difference is that before was much less music made compared to now when there is never been bigger number of producers and artists worldwide. Another good example how the quantity degrades the quality. :ph34r:

As I have heard so much of the past, when it was actually was the past, I dont hear much, that I havent heard.... BUT, I live in the past, and I still say that trance from the past is the better trance. The same goes for house, or for Ambient for that matter. I loved the parties around 1994-1996, just simply because you could go to a party and hear it all... not just techno, not juse acid, not just "goa".... the djs were chosen to play diffrent styles, and I loved it....

Oh well.... too bad parties are not like that anymore :( Ralf H. Anyone? :D

I hear you. Stuff from the 70s, like Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze stuff still sound fresh, even after 30 years. And even if time has gotten to some of them, they are still masterpieces.

I'm a fan so I tried not to mention them :P But I do feel like that.. I can listen to the classics and I never get tired of them (if there's enough pause in between). That's what I mean with timeless.

But this goes for any genre and also for more recent music.

Why would people be so particularly interested in the latest releases all the time... surely there's tons of great stuff from the past you haven't heard yet... so I guess I was trying to say: if you focus too much on the latest music, you might miss great music from the past! :)

Guest The Journey Man Project

I love it when a dj mixes many styles from across a spectrum of ages so you get a mix of really good varations... it's hard to do, but I saw a local dj do a 3 hours set recently and it had stuff from early disco, 80's electronica, 90's acid techno, early goa, progy trance, drum n bass... it had all these mashed up styles and it was done soooo well... better than the so called storied you hear at a straight up psy party...

I love it when a dj mixes many styles from across a spectrum of ages so you get a mix of really good varations... it's hard to do, but I saw a local dj do a 3 hours set recently and it had stuff from early disco, 80's electronica, 90's acid techno, early goa, progy trance, drum n bass... it had all these mashed up styles and it was done soooo well... better than the so called storied you hear at a straight up psy party...

+1