What do you think about remixes?

jivamukti

Do you like remixes? Do you think they are important? I prefer completely new tracks because I don't like to hear the same ideas recycled (often in unimaginatives ways), so usually remixes don't get me excited. Fortunately remixing doesn't seem quite as common in psy trance as it's in other genres like house. That said, if a remix manages to take a particularly fresh perspective on the source material, I may like it. And it's OK if an artist himself remixes his tracks for his live shows.

"I prefer completely new tracks because I don't like to hear the same ideas recycled"

remixes can be totally different from the original. new tracks can sound like bad remixes. eh?

-if it's good I don't care for the title-

Remixes in the same genre? Remixes into a different genre? I've fantasized for a couple years about remixing The Rolling Stones' "Paint it Black" into trance. Would that interest you? :P

I usually find remixing to be pretty worthless. There are some exceptions, like Nalin & Kane's remix of Energy 52's "Cafe del Mar 98", which is way better than the original "Cafe del Mar".

The only (supposedly) psytrance remix I've heard is some horrible version of "Tainted Love" that plays every now and then on one of the psy streams I listen to. /shudder/

i'm partisan to the whole remixing thing provided there is interesting material to be remixed and remixer is to my liking. Why not? we have a wealth of gems that could do worse than being remixed by an accomplished artist. Yes, they are often 'not as good, no.'... and that tends to ruin the the whole concept of remixes in psy, even for those that really put something out there that is worthy of the try.

I like a remix when it sounds significantly different toi the original! When it sounds too similar, what's the point?

When a track is remixed into a different style is the best like Veracohr said. OTT's Hallucinogen remixes were really cool!

11 vs Symponics - Space Criminal uses Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal & that is well cool :)

I don't mind remixes that much. I have a lot of club-trance vinyls and there remixes are very common. But there it's a good thing, boring tracks transform into awesome stuff but of course there are also a lot of remixes that sound nothing special. I don't think psytrance shoudl do the same, there are some remixes around but not too much. Also remixing of well-known tracks from other styles can be interesting or fun but a lot of them sound too cheap. But even the cheap ones can be fun to hear at a party as long as the djs don't press it too much with playing them.

"I prefer completely new tracks because I don't like to hear the same ideas recycled"

remixes can be totally different from the original. new tracks can sound like bad remixes. eh?

-if it's good I don't care for the title-

I did say in my original post I appreciate fresh takes on source material. But if I hear the same melody in a few tracks, I get bored. Well, most new tracks do sound like bad remixes.

I don't think about remixes. At all.

:rolleyes:

Remixes in the same genre? Remixes into a different genre? I've fantasized for a couple years about remixing The Rolling Stones' "Paint it Black" into trance. Would that interest you? :P

Umm, let's say I feel prejudiced. :P

I've fantasized for a couple years about remixing The Rolling Stones' "Paint it Black" into trance. Would that interest you? :P

Paint It Black (by 3 Steps Ahead) appears on the album Thunderdome Live at Mystery Land, the 4th of July 1998 ...

hardcore...

but hey, just change the bpm, bassline a bit & tweak the leads(or something :P) , et voila ! :lol:

most remixes rape the original !!

leave a good track alone !!

but , now & then, mostly seldom, there appears a remix that beats the original...

the remix can be easy as there is no using fresh iddeas but recycle of someone else butr a good remix can be difficult to make it sounding fresh and not to like but still understanding of it's the original song!

I haven't heard many of psy trance remixes, but mostly house, dance. Nowadays they're ussually bad, boring.

There's nothing special in them, just the known part of the song, that's rolling all over the song.

The original is almost always better, so I don't see the point of remixing (everything). It's easy to get a hit song from a hit song, isn't it?

Yes, I like them, providing they're creative and do something different to the original..

Chillout remixes I like:

Shulman - The Unexpected Visitor (Carbon Based Lifeforms Carbonator Remix)

Shpongle - Crystal Skulls (Western Rebel Alliance Remix) - this one gets mentioned too often, but deservedly so...

Shpongle - Star Shpongled Banner (Brothomstates Remix)

Pitch Black - Ape To Angel (Bluetech Remix)

Nada - Earthgarden (Abakus Remix)

Ott - Escape From Tulse Hell (Tripswitch Remix)

Future Sound Of London - Pretty much all of their singles where they have different versions of their tunes...

Entheogenic - Pagan Dream Machine (Vibrasphere Remix)

There's probably more too... :)

I had a chat with Dr Spook the other day, and we were talking about the old vinyls released back in the days... where you had a track, and then you had the ambient mix, the trance mix, the dnb mix and also maybe a alternative mix. I kind of liked that concept :)

I had a chat with Dr Spook the other day, and we were talking about the old vinyls released back in the days... where you had a track, and then you had the ambient mix, the trance mix, the dnb mix and also maybe a alternative mix. I kind of liked that concept :)

Aye that would always be cool! Remixes into different styles are usually more interesting than remixing into the same style.

Sometimes I hear a remix that I like, but do wonder why it was necessary to do officially release a remix to that track.

Like Jaïa's remix of Vibrasphere's Manzanilla, I think it's a nice remix but I kind of wondered.. why?

Luckily this does not happen too often in the "psy" scene, as far as I know. Though it happens continuously in the "club trance" (tiesto trance!) scene, re-releasing oldies with new remixes, things like that. They're going too far actually. No prob when people like to remix their favourite tunes, but for the love of chuck norris don't go releasing them all, it's not about the $$$ :(

)

Easy to tell in which subgenre of the "trance" scene you'll find the most love for the music though.. (IMO -_- )

In general if I like a track I also look for its remixes.

Sometimes the remix gives me a better track.

Sometimes remix disappoints me, featuring a whole different track,

keeping only some samples from the track I like, and making me

complain for the money I've just lost.

Sometimes the remix reveals to be only some junk with

a title of a track that I like.

So, overall : I regret all that money wasted just to find

scarcely better versions of tracks that I like.

Mmmhh ... you've just persuaded me to stop waisting

money on remixes. :lol: