Etnica Group - The EP 12"

Oopie

Tracklisting:

A1 Gollum (5:16)

A2 Fingers (4:52)

AA Big Dust In Chapora Fort (6:50)

Quite an interesting release from the Etnica Group.

The best track for me is Fingers. The track starts off moody and dark. "Hahaha" sample is a funny/awkward add, depends whether jocular themes in goa are enough to prevent your enlightening process heh. Half way through the track a juicy synth-line starts repeating itself all the way till the end. Some of the rawest, simple output from Etnica lab but the nostalgic in me can't get enough!

The track Big Dust In Chapora Fort is also nice. First track from Etnica that I'm aware of to have the sort of "rattling effect" that Etnica later on used on some tracks. Soft piano chords in the track give the track overall trancey, light feel.

This vinyl gives a great idea how rapidly Etnica progressed in their sound, being their first release it flirts to regular trance of its time and just a few elements justify (plus the later history of the group) people to tag this goa. A year later they already made excellent productions such as the Pleiadians vinyl on Symbiosis.

• 2 years later...

To my surprise this EP is available for download at Juno.

I wouldn't describe opening track "Gollum" as trance, more like happy euro-rave. I'm not too fond of the main melody, but it has its own charm, and the sample is catchy.

Things get trancey with "Fingers", this melody here is more complex and the whole track has an eerily atmospheric "Age of Love" feel. Very nice early 90s trance.

Last track "Big Dust in Chapora Fort" brings a full-fledged psychedelic sound to the table. The most developed track on offer here, the bassline, FX and synths conjure the exotic/futuristic ambience of early goa.

This EP shows how much these guys progressed in a short time, I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the formative stages of the genre. Get it just for "Big Dust in Chapora Fort".

To my surprise this EP is available for download at Juno.

I wouldn't describe opening track "Gollum" as trance, more like happy euro-rave. I'm not too fond of the main melody, but it has its own charm, and the sample is catchy.

Things get trancey with "Fingers", this melody here is more complex and the whole track has an eerily atmospheric "Age of Love" feel. Very nice early 90s trance.

Last track "Big Dust in Chapora Fort" brings a full-fledged psychedelic sound to the table. The most developed track on offer here, the bassline, FX and synths conjure the exotic/futuristic ambience of early goa.

This EP shows how much these guys progressed in a short time, I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the formative stages of the genre. Get it just for "Big Dust in Chapora Fort".

Thanks for the links.

Gollum is just plain lovely. :D

Didn't know they collaborated with this "Mike Logan" who apparently (according to discogs) made some disco records in the 70's...

Not sure if it's the same Mike Logan though...

Regarding Gollum, which is anything but Goa Trance, I would like to know what the vocal sample says since it's not the first time I hear it in early 90's songs.

It seems something like "deny (?..?) rhythm"

legendary start for the group :)

it is indeed some sort of uplifting trance but very well done and promising for the time.

check it on juno.. : http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/1235465-02.htm

from the samples it also seems is digitally ripped, quite interesting

i wonder if the guys know it is for sale digitally..