O.O.O.D - Free Range

NEMO.BOFH

I don't like this album that much. To me it sounds too clubby, not enough variation (missing those "now I didn't see this coming!"-moments) and enhancing melodies... where are they? The track with Ott was semi-good what I listened. The melody could've been more varied (again). Perhaps some note changes could've helped...

I can sure imagine this working on the dancefloor but for homelistening it doesn't feel deep/intelligent enough.

For trade or sale btw, if you're interested! :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, didn't see this one coming. Just finished listening to it for the first time. From start to finish every track was good, with a couple excellent tracks thrown in. Not only is this a very unique album, but each track is unique compared to the others. This is definately one of the best "trance" albums of the year. I say "trance" just because such a wide variety of sounds and ideas are explored here, which is a very good thing in my book :D

Update: Well i've listened to this a few more times now, and it's not quite as amazing as i first thought, but it's still a solid album. I give it a 7.5/10 :)

I don't like this album that much. To me it sounds too clubby, not enough variation (missing those "now I didn't see this coming!"-moments) and enhancing melodies... where are they? The track with Ott was semi-good what I listened. The melody could've been more varied (again). Perhaps some note changes could've helped...

I can sure imagine this working on the dancefloor but for homelistening it doesn't feel deep/intelligent enough.

I have to agree...

imho this is good release.. its above average in total and especially in originality. Most tracks are pretty good, but some also lack some variety indeed.. It seems like its depending a little too much on the 'this is a not a usual fullon sound or style' factor. Don't get me wrong here.. its very good of colin to step outside the usual soundbank and style, but it could have done with a bit more power to back it up.

Besides the fact it's got a good amount of humor its got plenty of original samples as well =) dont expect to find any blue red pill matrix stuff here :P

I think i would love to see oood live. But i am not sure if the cd will find their way into my dj sets alot. We 'll see ;)

Excellent release, both in regards to music and new thinking. This release neither relies on testosterone killargh basslines, overly soft and cheesy sounds or cut N paste techniques - instead it offers something lying slightly outside the mainstream, with a high degree or originality which in my view rates it as oustanding.

Only thing I didnt like was all the samples which related to marihuana etc - thats just cheap in my eyes. Even if they were cleverly used.

I hope to see more Oood releases make their way into compilations here and there.

- Krell

Guest The Journey Man Project

I have V.O.C and this one now as a gift from my girl for new year and I'm sorry to say that I find O.O.O.D & V.O.C great for using in a set, and yes it works well in commercial house/club trance settings as well, but I just can' stand listening to the album as whole... I can see the effort and time put in, the quality is amazing... the samples drive me nuts in bad way. it just shits me up the wall like listening to Raja Ram's stash bags, but at least with those you expect it, this I thought would be much less annoying... so Collin, I apologise if I seem rude or blunt, but I'd rather be honest about this than rave on about how good it is like everybody else because you hang out here... I'd like to say that I'll be first in line for a live show when I get the chance because I think both V.O.C and O.O.O.D would be an awesome live gig, but the studio stuff just hasn't cut it for me :( I give you my full respects on quality thought :)

Edited by The Journey Man Project

I have V.O.C and this one now as a gift from my girl for new year and I'm sorry to say that I find O.O.O.D & V.O.C great for using in a set, and yes it works well in commercial house/club trance settings as well, but I just can' stand listening to the album as whole... I can see the effort and time put in, the quality is amazing, but the track for me just seem to plonk along sounding the same... the samples drive me nuts in bad way. it just shits me up the wall like listening to Raja Ram's stash bags, but at least with those you expect it, this I thought would be much less annoying... so Collin, I apologise if I seem rude or blunt, but I'd rather be honest about this than rave on about how good it is like everybody else because you hang out here... I'd like to say that I'll be first in line for a live show when I get the chance because I think both V.O.C and O.O.O.D would be an awesome live gig, but the studio stuff just hasn't cut it for me :( I give you my full respects on quality thought :)

I understand what you say, I would definately put some of the songs in sets, they fit my musical taste so good. When it comes to seeing the albuns as a whole, they actually seem pretty eclectic, very diverse from song to song enought to get my attention. And thats what I love about them.

One of the most happy releases in this genre this yeah imo, nice to hear music that is not too "serious" I mean u can hear that its been fun to make! Its plastered with positive vibes! In this respect this has been a very positive imput for me! It has some of the "irony" (in lack of better words) that I find some of the suomi music it has just not executed in the same maner at all... this is british irony, a totally different approche to it :) Maybe a bit overuse of voice samples but aye!!! :P

Defintly one of the better releases this year, and the best artwork imo, just brilliant!

heard it for the first time and again I get overwhelmed with lot's of non goa influences, in the voice of cod release that created a very funky vibe,

hear I experience it different, too fresh to put it in perspective,

one thing, very strong album, very original.

good work...

• 2 weeks later...

I love the previous OOOD album Breathing Space but this one not that much.

It's very different, completelly freestyle and funny but most of the tracks sounds boring to my ears.

Thanh God there are two amazing tracks in here.

The first one is Eye Of The Beholder with all these old school elements. I wish it was a bit faster.

The second one is Free Range. What a happy track is that! The last two minutes are so optimistic and beautiful! I can't stop listen to it! Awesome!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Aww, you'se guys. :) Glad you're liking it!

Please pester your local promoters to bring us over; we need to play this stuff live regularly or we lose our season tickets to the zoo.

And now a message from our friendly local moderator about posting in the correct section. Take it away, Nemo!

cosmic stuff, i'm listening to it too right now.

currently playing Smoke A Lot.

Cosmic? It sounds more 'comic' to me than spacious / cosmic, but it's a perfect album nonetheless! I felt slightly dissapointed with it at first, but after repeated listening I started to discover all those little details, started to appreciate the arrangements & progression and now I just love it!!! Every single track (with Batman & Elvis track being my favourite at the moment).

I have a hard time deciding which one is my pick for the best CD of 2006 - 'Free Range' or 'U-Turn'... :(

...Batman & Elvis...

hahaha it's actually a sample from the Melody Four Quartet, singing "When He Shall Come", on Herald, purveyors of sacred recordings since um probably about 1950, looking at the cover of this record.

hahaha it's actually a sample from the Melody Four Quartet, singing "When He Shall Come", on Herald, purveyors of sacred recordings since um probably about 1950, looking at the cover of this record.

Really?! I was 100% sure it was Elvis... But I guess you know it better :rolleyes:

Wicked track anyway! :D

Do we want to have this in the general section? HUH HUH, how much do you pay me?! :D

No, it should go to Free Range's reviews ;)

Moderator Note. Posts merged from another topic to this one, and the offtopic set to invisible.

Regards,

Nemo

Edited by nemo
Adding Removing Content of the Original post.

traded an extra copy of Sensient-AntiFluoro for this!

It should be awaiting my triumphant return from the dark, deep depths of Tonkin-land (work).

Oohh I cant wait, it should be like Christmas and KWanzaa and Chanukah all rolled together with sushi rice and nori on the INSIDE! ;)

I wanna chime in....I recently got this album (thanks, Colin! ;) ) and I must say that it is one of the best albums of 2006 for me. There are 2 or 3 tracks that I'll definitely be playing in my sets for the next couple years, and the whole album throughout is a joy to hear. It's fun, funky, melodic, and psychedelic as hell. It's proof that some people still are going completely in their own direction and ignoring any musical trends. The variance in bpm & feel between a lot of the tracks makes it a nice listening album since it never wears you down with the same sound track after track.

I probably still prefer the (related) Voice of Cod album a little bit, but that's like saying that I prefer a macadamia nut encrusted mahi mahi filet to a seared tuna steak. ;)

Great job overall!