The Synth1 Challenge

With the change from the original idea of Nemo's preset club thread we've decided to only a clean thread for the idea we finally came up with. To quote the man....

So, here is the deal:

You make a track out of the following tools, and post it here. A selected group of people will then vote on the best track or something. We'll possible also do a big preset exchange when its over. That's all to be discussed still:

You can use:

Synths:

http://www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/softsynth/synth1v107.zip

Percussion packs:

http://www.nanorecords.co.uk/uploaded_file...-packs/kit1.zip

http://www.nanorecords.co.uk/uploaded_file...-packs/kit2.zip

....using the drum sampler of your choice, and/or maybe for flavor add this freeware sampler

http://www.discodsp.com/highlife/

Effects:

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php

Happy producing!

Edit: Topic Pinned!

I think it's gonna be inspiring to work with these limitations

Yeah, my track for this is on hold until I finish the last track for my album, but I've been quite impressed with Highlife actually. Kick ass free sampler that is and surprisingly good for drums.

i have a quick suggestion to make :D:D

ive just been playing around a bit trying to get something going, and ive noticed that the classic eq does nothing... its as if it was designed as a mastering eq or something. or maybe its just me and i need to download it again...

in any case if it isnt just me, can we use our sequencers native eq???

i have a quick suggestion to make :D:D

ive just been playing around a bit trying to get something going, and ive noticed that the classic eq does nothing... its as if it was designed as a mastering eq or something. or maybe its just me and i need to download it again...

in any case if it isnt just me, can we use our sequencers native eq???

The EQ works for me fine in Cubase, maybe try reinstalling it? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Im in!

I use Synth1 all the time anyway. Should be fun working within set parameters!

:D

Will post results soon.

Edit: Ok so I made a song but I forgot I had to use only those effects. I used the native FX in the program I use, Renoise... I only used Synth1, and the provided samples. Sounds ok to me so far. But, am I disqualified for using different FX?

Edit: Ok so I made a song but I forgot I had to use only those effects. I used the native FX in the program I use, Renoise... I only used Synth1, and the provided samples. Sounds ok to me so far. But, am I disqualified for using different FX?

I'm wondering about the same thing here, as I used the Sonitus FX:Multiband (native plugin in Sonar 6) just for mastering. Are we allowed to use any mastering plugins, the kjaerhus compressor just isnt enuff? :/

Well seeing as this is a highly selective contest with big prizes I'm afraid you all will have to be banned for life. :P Just kidding. ideally the stuff listed above should be all but since the tracks are done its not the end of the world. Since this is mainly just a "for research and education" purposes type of thing, giving a clear description of the illegal effect used and the time of its appearance might be nice for reference. Now if I could only get back to my track. I got it half finished, but then had to move and then do some remixes... :(

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I dont know its kinda limited.. I dont want to install synth1 again after a long time but maybe it would be challange to do it only with discodsp and drum machine of choice.. I think it would be reasonable if we can use native seq-s fx although that kjerhaus plugins are great.. Maybe Ill join, I would like to, but Im lacking time, real tracks need to be done.. :wank:

Anyways, I come to the same idea as kalki

i hope u remember. kalki once posted a thread called 'MAKE MUSIC TOGETHER'

with da same intention to help newbs in learning. but nobody wants to do it. may be they found it useless.

hope this one might work :)

And I didnt remember that but I think it would be great..

Why dont we make "psynews trance project" and make some ass kickin track all together?

But there should be some restriction like sharing the same sequencer and we should have same VSTs although not neccesary (one could use lead vst other bass stuff, you know everyone takes part in something)..

How do pro producers make collaborations when they are miles away? I think its this way, is it?

I wanna make some full-on project with one of my friends so I was wondering.. Is it a bug over distance to produce in colaboration?

• 1 month later...

How do pro producers make collaborations when they are miles away?

You would be lucky if you can find someone to collaborate with that has the exact setup as you regarding sequencer, vsts and outboard gear. Wait, scratch that - its practically impossible.

Loops or entire individual tracks are rendered to audio files are typically passed back and forth. There are rare occasions where you might have all the necessary components for a track, but even with Jikkenteki and myself collaborating on tracks together it has been difficult working on unrendered tracks. One might have a sound module or pack that the other doesn't have so we either needed to track it down or the track sounded different for each of us. Additionally, we both have very different external gear so all outboard sound gets rendered to wav files and we send those back and forth along with the Cubase file (In the past, it was a Fruity Loops file). As we progressed, we typically bought the same sequencers and some shared vsts but our studios are still incredibly different.

You would be lucky if you can find someone to collaborate with that has the exact setup as you regarding sequencer, vsts and outboard gear. Wait, scratch that - its practically impossible.

Loops or entire individual tracks are rendered to audio files are typically passed back and forth. There are rare occasions where you might have all the necessary components for a track, but even with Jikkenteki and myself collaborating on tracks together it has been difficult working on unrendered tracks. One might have a sound module or pack that the other doesn't have so we either needed to track it down or the track sounded different for each of us. Additionally, we both have very different external gear so all outboard sound gets rendered to wav files and we send those back and forth along with the Cubase file (In the past, it was a Fruity Loops file). As we progressed, we typically bought the same sequencers and some shared vsts but our studios are still incredibly different.

Yes, of course, loops are more practical and theres no other way when working on external hardware but I wouldn't agree that it is impossible.. I think that giving co producer links to the tools we would use and sharing presets and midis would be possible indeed.. But if everything else fails there are still loops although you cant modify sound when using loop in such a way u can when using preset for plugin

Yes, of course, loops are more practical and theres no other way when working on external hardware but I wouldn't agree that it is impossible.. I think that giving co producer links to the tools we would use and sharing presets and midis would be possible indeed.. But if everything else fails there are still loops although you cant modify sound when using loop in such a way u can when using preset for plugin

Sorry, but I am not going to go out and buy every plugin that someone else has just so I can collaborate with them.

Additionally, getting all the presets is more of a PITA than I care to tackle on a one-off collab project. If it was going to be a longer-term relationship I might be more inclined to do so.

That said, we are saying the same thing just with different points of view.