For people that buy music

Anoebis

Take away the Mp3... its irellevant, its going to dissapear from the market as well pretty soon. I would never buy anything else than FLAC or WAV (or any other lossless format), and I would never pay more than 1 euro per track. I wouldnt have the guts to take more than ONE euro, if we sold it ourselfs....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in this matter - technology all the way!

so flac-wav that is :)

you can take it with you anytime and anywhere and it takes so little space, also, as rah mentioned, making cd uses up lots of resources, paper, plastics, chemicals, and it all is taken from nature and also chemicals released into nature, so, go hug a tree, id rather choose downloadable LOSLESS quality file, its not 1990s anymore, we move on, i sure enjoy having "the real thing" in my HANDS, but as rah [again :D] mentioned - at the end its music, so if you love music so much, think about planet then, isnt this affection towards something "glossy" and something that you can hold in your hands and admire little bit chilidsh :)?

computer is universal tool, so why not take maximum out of it instead of waisting its and natures resources by buying cds :)

and in near future i guess we will need to have some universal small media like those SD cards and alikes, tiny thing that you can use for years and store and re-record dozens of albums per square inch. these carriers then will be adopted into pcs, players, audio tools, video tools, even dj tools.

edit: oh yeah, and imo untill cd dissapears from the market, wavs/flacs should cost cheaper than a cd, its sure ok to ask bit more for one track that you want to buy from VA or album without buying all other tracks, but the whole album/va im expecting to be considerably cheaper than cd [shipping not included, only price of cd]

atm i think that 10 and less bucks for flac album should be fair enough, its not that easy to set a price tho, but as long as wav/flac is cheaper than cd and without any artificial price exagerations then im all for digital downloads :)

remember a meme is far important than quark in this day and age man, the industrial revolution was last century  :)

as for my part, i was also doing my homework and we're considering releasing on CD as well for vapour. So i asked all the artists about the idea, one particular answer i felt i would share with you:

hehe... so for the matter at hand, i love cd's too, i love owning them and i love my collection, but enjoy the music, not the plastic resting on my shelf.

653741[/snapback]

Wise words.

Never really had a chance to own a vynil, but I appreciate CDs and digital audio, I'd buy both.

CD @ saiko = 14$ (10 tracks)

1 track wav = 14$/10 = ~1 Euro. That's fair!

Poll's about preferred format, most of us prefer CD, but that doesn't mean we would not buy DA. Personally, I often find interesting tracks an different VAs, but I can't afford buying a CD because of a single track, DA is an excellent solution - everybody wins.

I buy CDs, but there are times when I would like to purchase WAV files as well, mainly when I only like one or two tracks out of a release (and usually, this only happens with compilations). It might be different if the market were quicker to adapt to pure digital sales, but no one has really made that step yet. For digital downloading, here are some points which should be considered:

- Songs should be cheaper than the equivalent unit price of a song on a CD

- High resolution cover art and packaging data should come with every full album purchase

- Lossless formats are suspect (this is my personal bias: if I'm paying, I demand WAV format)

- Compressed formats are unacceptable in any instance

Essentially, the desired effect is to convey all of the data present in the physical object (the CD) and put it up for sale online. The data includes not only the audio information, but also the graphics and any other materials. Ideally, with the proper tools, I should be able to manufacture, at home, exactly what I would have bought from the store. That is still a few years away, in all likelihood, but let us not lose sight of the future goal.

Poll's about preferred format, most of us prefer CD, but that doesn't mean we would not buy DA. Personally, I often find interesting tracks an different VAs, but I can't  afford buying a CD because of a single track, DA is an excellent solution - everybody wins.

653878[/snapback]

In my case, I can see no reason why I should pay for music downloaded from Internet and as long as I will have the choice of purchasing CD or DA, I'll chose the former. Even if the CD is more expensive, only then I can really feel I own what I paid for.

It happened many times, that when I downloaded some mp3 I didn't really liked the music. Then, after buying the CD I somehow feel obliged to listen to it more thoroughly, to pay more attention to what is happening - I discovered a lot of gems I would have thrown away if I only relied on mp3. Somehow, a file on my PC is nothing more for me than a tune I hear on the radio - merely of preview and sample of the real thing.

I won't even mention the collector value of owning the CD/Vinyl...

:)

In my case, I can see no reason why I should pay for music downloaded from Internet and as long as I will have the choice of purchasing CD or DA, I'll chose the former. Even if the CD is more expensive, only then I can really feel I own what I paid for.

It happened many times, that when I downloaded some mp3 I didn't really liked the music. Then, after buying the CD I somehow feel obliged to listen to it more thoroughly, to pay more attention to what is happening - I discovered a lot of gems I would have thrown away if I only relied on mp3. Somehow, a file on my PC is nothing more for me than a tune I hear on the radio - merely of preview and sample of the real thing.

I won't even mention the collector value of owning the CD/Vinyl...

653980[/snapback]

you might be bit wrong on this one:

1-you downloaded mp3 file, which itself isnt losless and cant guarantee you top audio quality as good as on cd

2-most likely you paid shit for that mp3, so there is no money involved other than bandwidth, which isnt the case since bandwidth most likely is unlimited and u pay for your internet as a whole and not specifically for mp3 downloads. no money=no risk.

in other words, when you buy a cd, spending YOUR OWN had or less hard made money you simply consciossly or subconscioussly are obligated to give it a try again and again in order to make sure that you did invest your money into good thing and that you didnt lose your money because of wrong decision by paying for music you dont like, so youll give your CD a try few more times before you finally reject it. you also will give it a try in order to make sure that you havent missed anything musically, all nuanses [sp?] and details.

while mp3 you get for free, and its not full quality, many details blend together or they dont sound the way they are not intended thus you dont receive the message that perhaps artists was trying to tell through his music, so you simply dont bother.

Edited by reger

Yeah, there's a lot of truth in what you say.

However, I still cannot imagine myself treasuring my downloaded and paid for music in the same way I feel about my (even if quite modest) CD collection. It's just not the same for me... I know the music should be the most important, but I can't enjoy it knowing it's only a file on my PC.

Yeah, I'm a weirdo :P:D

Yeah, there's a lot of truth in what you say.

However, I still cannot imagine myself treasuring my downloaded and paid for music in the same way I feel about my (even if quite modest) CD collection. It's just not the same for me... I know the music should be the most important, but I can't enjoy it knowing it's only a file on my PC.

Yeah, I'm a weirdo :P:D

653997[/snapback]

i forgot to add that material posessions [right term, im not mixing anything here?] are in human nature :D

CD for its portability...

Vinyl is awesom for the HUGE artwork...

mp3's and wav's I wouldn't pay for... but I have a bunch of unrleased stuff only in that form... thats all its good for... and for sampling of stuff...

cds for me. Vinyl would be nice but heavy. Plus turntables are more expensive than nice cdj's. Digital downloads only if its lossless. But, as was mentioned, those damn things are so easy to just erase by accident. I love to show support for the labels I feel release the best stuff, no better way than to buy it! Plus with cds you get the little extras that only come in the cd case; artwork, stickers, etc.

Too bad cds are plastic made from hydrocarbons. BUT! Whatever can be made from a hydrocarbon, can be made from a carbohydrate! Corn-oil cds? Yes please!

I'd choose the vinyl

seriously ... if you asked me a month earlier or so then I'd have said CD, but I'm beginning to love vinyl over everything...

see my post above, the longest one :D

that would be nice, one microchip, lets say 30Gb average, size of 1 square inch.

universal compability.

or do you mean implants?

654028[/snapback]

dude, implants would be so cool, imagine sticking your finger inside a player (like a cdj) and then off you go, 4tb tracks from your fingargh!! (Oh, and the jokes on me with the fingers, and where else they can go etc etc!!!) :lol:

Vinyl.

I know someone with a top-notch turntable (worth the best part of £4000) and it sounds beautiful; so warm and velvety and luxurious and proof, to my ears at least, that digital music failed in superseeding analogue in terms of reproducing beautiful sounds with the ability to reach into peoples souls and touch their heart. Digital music by comparison, although clearer, often sounds somewhat cold and sterile.

If I didn't have such a big CD collection I'd love to buy a decent turntable. Alas. :(

Cd's all the way for me!

I value and treasure each one...:wub:

;)

Voted CD

mp3 -> disposable, intangible, easy to delete by accident, no real value for me, even if it's paid for

CD -> a real thing, nice, small & durable

Vinyl -> better looking, but wears with use & too big for my small shelves

653693[/snapback]

my thoughts exactly :)

I am all for CD, coz there is nothing better than the whole package... but I do download all the old stuff coz you can't find them anywhere around unless they are reissued. :rolleyes:

Vinyl for me.

Most pop/rock/whatever releases are also available in said format, I usually only buy a cd`s if it`s the only choice.

*honesty edit* the cover art in vinyls usually pisses all over the cd ones, check out dragon tales for example, just how much more impressive it is.

I voted vinyl because I like the sound quality best, but that doesn't mean I always prefer vinyl. Nor do I buy more vinyl than CDs. I like vinyl best for classic rock (used record stores rock!) and trance/DnB. My ex-girlfriend gave me Tori Amos' "Boys For Pele" on vinyl after she lost my CD; I'd prefer that one on CD because the vinyl doesn't do anything extra for it. And I couldn't see myself buying any metal albums on vinyl either.

I want to say I'll never pay money for lossy audio formats, but I try not to make such final statements so they don't come around to bite me in the ass.

And I couldn't see myself buying any metal albums on vinyl either.

654977[/snapback]

that's also my opinion though

I love vinyl because it has this warm and good and rich sound :wub:

Vinyl is perfect format for ambient, psychedelic, progressive and electronic ... everything that experiements with soundscapes, synthesizers and all that. Vinyl is perfect format for that because its warm way of sounding harmonizes a lot with electronic music. Commercial trance or hardcore would not fit on vinyl for me, it's too harsh, no warmth in the sound. Neither does metal. The harsh and rough metal music sounds do not fit on vinyl, harshness and warmth don't go well together IMO. Metal fits better on tapes! Tapes enhance the roughness factor through their not-that good sound quality and the fact that they also wear off with time ... on an old metal tape the music sounds like it comes from the basement - and that is cool for me! With me tapes have concerning metal the same cult factor that vinyl has concerning electronic music B)