The full-on bassline fetish

Goa Bill

What exactly is the big problem with it? I don't get it, please enlighten me how it's worse than a progressive bassline or a goa bassline. I don't get it seriously, how people get the fever only from one audio channel of a track. There are usually 30+ channels besides it. Discuss?

A theory of mine is that some people turn the bass level at their stereo way too high so the bass ruins every full on track. If the bass is set too high you can't hear the other stuff going on in the track. Has happened to me at several parties and this sucks bigtime.

Never the less I understand why it can be annoying if the same bassline gets used and used again. Some variety wouldn't hurt...

A theory of mine is that some people turn the bass level at their stereo way too high so the bass ruins every full on track. If the bass is set too high you can't hear the other stuff going on in the track. Has happened to me at several parties and this sucks bigtime.

Never the less I understand why it can be annoying if the same bassline gets used and used again. Some variety wouldn't hurt...

648615[/snapback]

Same as In progressive though,..... same notes, same patterns.... :D

You can make it sound boring, or you can make it sound cool... I prefer the latter :D

648614[/snapback]

Yeah , I like how protoculture and rinkadink especially do a good job . Totally dig their basslines :)

I think more often than not it's just a scapegoat. Its easy to notice and you don't have to give any real thought or substance to your opinion that XYZ is not a good track because you can just say "oh, its got a full on bassline" and everyone else will just nod in agreement.

That said there are a lot of tracks where the bass is a problem. I think, however, that it's more coincidence that they have a "full on" bassline when really the problem is the bass is placed too far forward in the mix for my taste or the sound design on the bass patch is simply lacking. I think this is more often than not more of a problem than the bassline itself, especially seeing as how the "full on" bassline has been around since the goa days, the main differences being mix prominence and sound design. I personally have no problem with the full on bassline itself, however I tend to think its much more effective when you start with something simpler and funkier and then work up to a fevered pitch with a full on bassline. But like everything it is really case by case.

648615[/snapback]

Tatsu, today it is cool and in to listen with a lot of bass, why do you think i bought my logitech speakers, exactly to listen loud with much bass, i could listen to music loud but with not much bass on my old logitech and it was awful, i think music without bass sounds like cellphone melodies, you can´t dance AT ALL to music with no bass that shakes the floor so that it is easier for you to FEEL the rythm as opposite to just hear it, it is the worst think to listen to music with not good bass tatsu so yeah the bass must be set to max or very high on any good soundsystem that you can feel it that it can move the glasses and the keyboards on your desk and shake your whole room!!!!!!!!!!! And fullon basslines sound extremly shit IMO because they just sound like very unmastered low quality basslines and always are monophonic, i will describe what i mean later when i will have time.

Tatsu, today it is cool and in to listen with a lot of bass, why do you think i bought my logitech speakers, exactly to listen loud with much bass, i could listen to music loud but with not much bass on my old logitech and it was awful, i think music without bass sounds like cellphone melodies, you can´t dance AT ALL to music with no bass that shakes the floor so that it is easier for you to FEEL the rythm as opposite to just hear it, it is the worst think to listen to music with not good bass tatsu so yeah the bass must be set to max or very high on any good soundsystem that you can feel it that it can move the glasses and the keyboards on your desk and shake your whole room!!!!!!!!!!! And fullon basslines sound extremly shit IMO because they just sound like very unmastered low quality basslines and always are monophonic, i will describe what i mean later when i will have time.

648666[/snapback]

It's ok if you like your music that way. But there is a way of having the bass on the stereo that is between window shaking hard-ass bass and no bass. And that is how I like my bass and how I listen to music most of the time. To hear the meldodies and everything else that is going on. But it's personal taste in the end.

648666[/snapback]

Radi, check out my thread with my tracks, download the tracks, listen to them, they have some full on basslines added to them.... but its not conventional full on I believe...

EDIT: I dont expect you to like my music though :D

Please Radi explain why Full on bassline sounds monophonic, I'm really curious about it :huh:

648691[/snapback]

Because they are monotonic, almost never change the melody and just don´t sound like basslines but like real compressed bullshit. they don´t sound like basslines at all, bass has to be decent and melodios in psytrance, a good example of a bassline is hallucinogen - spike or hallucinogen - alhpa cenauri but any other oldschool psytrack has good basslines and kicks compared to bullshit fullon. There isn´t only the fucking awful fullon bassline but also the incredibly shit fullon kick which is way too hard and has no pitch and the decay filter s set to a very short value and the fullon kick has WWWWAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much resonance filter in it, i believe that they use 5 or 6 filters or equalizers to get such a high resonance filter. I really think fullon isn´t music but just some awful playing with musicprograms, fullon aktually sounds more like my first tracks i ever made in FL studio than to real music or psychedelic trance. There´s better fullon which has more sounds in it and sounds better, still not good but better, the guitar fullon with the rolling bassline and the high resonacne kick and the silly monophonic fx sounds is the worst of any music i aktually know. The real shit of that all is that the artists of that all even use stereoimage effects to aktually force the sounds to sound even more monophonic, in fruityloops there is an buzz effect adapter and there was a stereo remix box plugin for the buzz effects adapter with which you could get the incredibly shitty forced monophonic sounds.

sorry that i am so rude but i just can´t find softer words for what i think about fullon basslines, without the basslines the fullon probably would sound better. I am not talking about astrix fullon basslines or the mfg - message from god basslines which also aren´t really good but that aren´t the real rolling basslines.

Because they are monotonic, almost never change the melody and just don´t sound like basslines but like real compressed bullshit. they don´t sound like basslines at all, bass has to be decent and melodios in psytrance

In a lot of oldschool tracks it doesn't change tone. it's like [Kick] [bass] [Kick] [bass] [Kick] [bass] [Kick] [bass]

sometimes with modulation/frequency change or LFO at the bass sound..

i just dont like it. it sounds too much "going forward", too jumpy, happy for me....hard to explain. i can't help it, every track with this type of a bassline arouses that "let's have a party" feeling i dont like at all. even tracks like prometheus' number cruncher has too much of it for me.

What exactly is the big problem with it? I don't get it, please enlighten me how it's worse than a progressive bassline or a goa bassline. I don't get it seriously, how people get the fever only from one audio channel of a track. There are usually 30+ channels besides it. Discuss?

648609[/snapback]

Apparently I'm missing something everyone else is getting here. Your third sentence seems to contradict the others. Are you pro- or anti- fullon bassline?

Like anything else, I like it if it's done well. Sometimes it's cool, sometimes it's not. I use that bassline myself sometimes, and sometimes I don't.

It can be kind of a cop out, an easy way of injecting a song with a lot of energy without going to the trouble of writing a good song. I'm sure we're all guilty of that at some point.

Apparently I'm missing something everyone else is getting here. Your third sentence seems to contradict the others. Are you pro- or anti- fullon bassline?

Like anything else, I like it if it's done well. Sometimes it's cool, sometimes it's not. I use that bassline myself sometimes, and sometimes I don't.

It can be kind of a cop out, an easy way of injecting a song with a lot of energy without going to the trouble of writing a good song. I'm sure we're all guilty of that at some point.

649887[/snapback]

I am not anti the bassline, i don't like most of todays full on cause it bores the shit out of me but i can't put the blame on the bassline. I just want to understand the roots of this bassline fixation that is very dominant at the brains of some psynewsers.