what else can sound like

Ive been wondering for a long time what else is out there that can make the same vowel sounds the Delay Lama does. I remember I found one vsti that was similar but inferior. What Im really curious about is whether or not there are any hardware synths designed to make that vowel modulation.

Ive been wondering for a long time what else is out there that can make the same vowel sounds the Delay Lama does.  I remember I found one vsti that was similar but inferior.  What Im really curious about is whether or not there are any hardware synths designed to make that vowel modulation.

646989[/snapback]

I've never tried Delay Lama, but Clavia's NordModular synth has a vocal filter with vowels that can do some pretty extreme stuff

I've gotten some vocal type stuff out of my Nord Lead as well. Also the Korg Legacy series has some vocal filtering type patching in the effects that work wonders. I seem to recall a Reaktor filter that did a similar thing as well, but can't recall the details at the moment.

If you want the complete opposite end of less robot and more natural vocals the obvious choice would be any of the Yamaha Vocaloid synths.

and yes, if u use fl, try observin the project 'vocal sounds' in short clips...it gives u and idea how to link several bandpass filters in series to produce vocal sounds...

and in the karma modular synth, there's a killer preset called the talking lead

if u use greenoak's crystal there's a bank full of such sounds on their homepage which u can download alongwith a tutorial on how it is done on crystal

here's how it is done on analog/hybrid synths:-

Use two saw osc's, the first transposed an octave down. Sync the second osc to the first. Mix in some noise (not much). put a bandpass 24db filter after it.

Modulate the filter cutoff with the modwheel while you play and it'll 'talk'.

Resonant sweeps through a bitcrusher can also sound very vocal.

649851[/snapback]

yap just take some tb clone vst something like tau2, put bitcrushing on it with mayybe bit depth somwehre between 8-12 and sample division somewhere between 3-12 (depending on taste). put resonance high on the tau, play with the cut.

both saw and square waves are great for this, each give distinct flavor, depending again on taste.