Shpongle Live in Concert

traveller

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Update for www.myspace.com/therealshpongle:

As some of you have heard we are planning to do a Shpongle live show in London, U.K... we initially had a date for April, but since we lost our first choice of venue, this has tentatively been moved to may 27th.

All the musicians are confirmed except for raja ram, who is dragging his heels a bit. The main problem, and i sympathise, is that the venue is 'brixton academy'... raj doesn't like this venue, and i also feel that the sound is bad - and my main priority is to have great sound! So at the moment nothing is confirmed... we are still trying to get the best venue, and convince raj to play.

one thought is the Royal Festival Hall... how would people feel about a "sit-down" gig? (there are seats at the venue). the venue is also smaller so we would possibly do 2 nights... i kind of like the idea of a sit-down show, because we could play some of the spacier and mellow stuff, without feeling the pressure of having to make people dance.

if any of you have thoughts about this, or ideas for venues, please post them here :)

Sounds goooooood to me. Although i have to agree that I don't like the idea of seeing Shpongle in the brixton academy, it's a bit of a dingy shit hole (last time i was there anyway). Also, I'm not sure I like the idea of a sit down set, although haven't made up my mind yet. It could be VERY cool, but at the same time i always feel the need to dance when a lot of shpongle songs are played

May is going to be an awesome music month for me if this goes ahead: roger waters performing dark side of the moon and then shpongle live, can't get much better than that :rolleyes:

4th Shpongle CD? No, no, no. Bad idea. The latest was veeeery thin-stretched between ideas, and a fourth will be an abomination for the good memory.

Concert? Hope they play old tracks mostly. o.o

4th Shpongle CD? No, no, no. Bad idea. The latest was veeeery thin-stretched between ideas, and a fourth will be an abomination for the good memory.

It would have been easy for Simon and Raja to produce an album that was similar to the first two, or completely abandoning the sound of those two albums and going for something different - they instead produced an album with the same feeling as the other two, but was much more diverse. It's very easy to sell out, let's not forget.

LPs don't have to get worse, IMO it's all about taste anyway, and you can't say it will be an 'abomination' because you don't know. ;)

It would have been easy for Simon and Raja to produce an album that was similar to the first two, or completely abandoning the sound of those two albums and going for something different - they instead produced an album with the same feeling as the other two, but was much more diverse. It's very easy to sell out, let's not forget.

LPs don't have to get worse, IMO it's all about taste anyway, and you can't say it will be an 'abomination' because you don't know. ;)

+1. I prefer when artists change their sound rather than just release the same record over and over again, even if the new sound isn't as good as the old one(s). I don't think Nothing Lasts... is their best album, but I'm glad they released that rather than just releasing another tales of the inexpressible

+1. I prefer when artists change their sound rather than just release the same record over and over again, even if the new sound isn't as good as the old one(s). I don't think Nothing Lasts... is their best album, but I'm glad they released that rather than just releasing another tales of the inexpressible

true...(imo)

I dont get the people who say that they sell out, In my ears its the way it all started. I mean its about releasing what u want and like and not to please a crowd who want some specific style. And for me selling out is about going for the money instead of going for something true to yourself :)

But back on topic.... I really hope I will get the money to go to this event!

And I wonder how many musicians they r gonna use to play live, can imagine its quite a few!!!

I wish they would release nothing lasts... as a 3CD album :)

Why not a 4CD album including a 5h DVD... :P

I would buy it ;)

Why not a 4CD album including a 5h DVD... :P

I would buy it ;)

I just want the tracks on Nothing Lasts... at proper length. People said it was like 3 long movements but I thought that was bollocks. Everytime I started getting into a track it changed :angry:

60 odd minutes / 20 tracks = not good enough IMO

I just want the tracks on Nothing Lasts... at proper length. People said it was like 3 long movements but I thought that was bollocks. Everytime I started getting into a track it changed :angry:

I kinda see your point... could be that they had many ideas and that they wanted "in there" but was to focused on making 1 cd, and some how did'nt realize it would work better on a double CD (at least)... I can see what u mean but I can still enjoy it anyways :)

It's funny you say that as though the album is split into 20 segments it's still, in reality, a 9 or 10 track album.

It's funny you say that as though the album is split into 20 segments it's still, in reality, a 9 or 10 track album.

Nah! You are blinded by the fact that it involves your hero simon posford (would you let him bugger you if he wanted to?) The 1st 2 thirds of the album definately have very distinct tracks IMO! I like the music but it's too short & changes too much.

• 1 year later...

Nah! You are blinded by the fact that it involves your hero simon posford (would you let him bugger you if he wanted to?) The 1st 2 thirds of the album definately have very distinct tracks IMO! I like the music but it's too short & changes too much.

I seem to recall reading in a couple of interviews that Nothing Lasts was written to be very much like a dream and since dreams change radically very quickly the music reflects that in many ways. That said I still mostly here it as about 7 complete pieces that happen to be groups of 3 or 4 tracks.

• 5 weeks later...