im getting bored with psy really fast

exotic

I've noticed over the past few weeks psy has losing its appeal for me. I listen to all styles of electronic and psychedelic is my preferred choice coz it excites me like no other. I feel that once ive heard a particular album , the second time it loses some appeal and the third time a little more after which i cant listen to it anymore. I really do not know why this is the case with psy as any other style still feels listenable after a time. It's like ive heard it all the first time and theres nothing more that can come out the second time or the third. This never happened to me earlier as i could listen to it over 10 to fifteen times and still find it enjoyable.

My point is , either this just a phase im going through , which prolly many of you have gone through already or its time for me to give psy a break. Any suggestions how to keep my interest going :rolleyes:

I've noticed over the past few weeks  psy has losing its appeal for me. I listen to all styles of electronic  and psychedelic is my preferred choice coz it excites me like no other. I feel that once ive heard a particular album , the second time it loses some appeal and the third time a little more after which i cant listen to it anymore. I really do not know why this is the case with psy as any other style still feels listenable after a time. It's like ive heard it all the first time and theres nothing more that can  come out the second time or the third. This never happened to me earlier as i could listen to it over 10 to fifteen times and still find it enjoyable.

My point is , either  this  just a phase im going through , which prolly many of you have gone through already or  its time for me to give psy a break. Any suggestions  how to keep my interest going  :rolleyes:

644730[/snapback]

Dont try so hard to like it, and it will come back to you. I can for 2 years now not listen to almost any oldschool whatsoever. I really hate to listen to it. It sounds so boring, thin, and blargh!! But I know I love it.... you know what I mean? Its just not the right time for me to listen to it.

Do you listen to none electronica? :)

Yeah, listen to something completely different to get your head off the psytrance. There's no use in pushing it and ruining it in the end if you are tired of it at the moment. I also have phases when I'm not interested in listening anything psy or goa. I either switch to trance or to non-electronica stuff. Mainly rock or also hip-hop. This is the perfect balance for me.

You don't have to force yourself to like something, it's stupid... Right now I'm trying to find gems within other genres, I still buy my psy-stuff but I don't limit my budget to just that...

Before I discovered ambient I was into a lot of alt rock, metal, now I've gone pretty much full circle and now am rediscovering why I loved these albums in the first place. Of course psy has a special place in my heart, but it isn't the only style of music to listen to...

Also, back in the summer I went through a mega progressive phase and bought up a load... now I'm not very interested, so I completely believe that it ultimately depends on your mood at the time! :)

Dont try so hard to like it, and it will come back to you. I can for 2 years now not listen to almost any oldschool whatsoever. I really hate to listen to it. It sounds so boring, thin, and blargh!! But I know I love it.... you know what I mean? Its just not the right time for me to listen to it.

Do you listen to none electronica? :)

644733[/snapback]

hah , yeah oldschool became a tad boring as well , but there are always exceptions like etnica which is timeless IMO :)

Electronica , hmm i downloaded some sets , heard em out but as i said hardly find anything as exciting as psychedelic and that only is becoming boring . Or maybe i havent explored electronica enough as it started for me with atb tiesto okenfold and then stright to logic bomb :D . I really wouldnt mind some recommendations ;)

hah , yeah oldschool became a tad boring as well , but there are always exceptions like etnica  which is timeless IMO :)

Electronica , hmm i downloaded some sets , heard em out but as i said hardly find anything as exciting as psychedelic and that only is becoming boring . Or maybe i havent explored electronica enough as it started for me with atb tiesto okenfold and then stright to logic bomb  :D  . I  really wouldnt mind some recommendations  ;)

644742[/snapback]

There are 2 very nice dj sets by Dj Nukem that you could get for more deep progressive stuff. You could also check out some of the Global Underground stuff, I love it (Not everyone does though, it can be cheesy).

Check out some Extrawelt, Trentemoller, Sven Vath, Martinez, Rocco.... etc etc :)

You don't have to force yourself to like something, it's stupid... Right now I'm trying to find gems within other genres, I still buy my psy-stuff but I don't limit my budget to just that...

Before I discovered ambient I was into a lot of alt rock, metal, now I've gone pretty much full circle and now am rediscovering why I loved these albums in the first place. Of course psy has a special place in my heart, but it isn't the only style of music to listen to...

Also, back in the summer I went through a mega progressive phase and bought up a load... now I'm not very interested, so I completely believe that it ultimately depends on your mood at the time!  :)

644738[/snapback]

The problem with me is that i tuned my music preferences in such a way that if i ever wanted to listen to music it had to be psy. And i think ive overdone it the last three four years by just listening to psy day in and day out. Maybe time to just move on or move back from the psychedelic side of things to the stuff i that was responsible for me liking psy so much. :)

it's happened to me too recently...

this might be due to the fact that many releases are easier to digest nowadays than a few years back, when albums told a real stories, and the musical side of things was stronger than the production side as is the case nowadays...

do like people suggested... listen to something else for a while, then u can come back to it refreshed and u'll appreciate it more....

this might be due to the fact that many releases are easier to digest nowadays than a few years back, when albums told a real stories, and the musical side of things was stronger than the production side as is the case nowadays...

644933[/snapback]

;) thats a major factor ! The releases nowadays are really not up to the mark musically and the production covers up for the lack of it !

check out some of the Global Underground stuff, I love it (Not everyone does though, it can be cheesy).

644744[/snapback]

Nick Warren! fab.... :)

I have found psy is going the way acid techno has...just really dark and twisted, hardly any melody..just banging...not really into that (have no anger to stomp out!)

I want it to go back to being pretty and twisted! :rolleyes:

Ive felt my interest slipping before, sometimes it seems to fluctuate between, Damn I just cant get enough of this, to, Damn I cant believe this is what Ive done with my life... :) I just give it some time off, try not to force it. THough I have pretty broad taste.

Usually when I listen to one style too much I get tired of it, though I still havent had that experience with downtempo or progressive. I do like fullon (*dodges rotten fruit*, by that I mean darkpsy and SA style), but only the good stuff, and I know that I know what I like. But its much easier to get tired of darkpsy and SA stuff than prog. I imagine oldschool to be similar. For me its much easier to just sit back and listen to a progressive album, wheras with darkpsy I always feel the urge to change the disc every song...

I've noticed over the past few weeks  psy has losing its appeal for me. I listen to all styles of electronic  and psychedelic is my preferred choice coz it excites me like no other. I feel that once ive heard a particular album , the second time it loses some appeal and the third time a little more after which i cant listen to it anymore. I really do not know why this is the case with psy as any other style still feels listenable after a time. It's like ive heard it all the first time and theres nothing more that can  come out the second time or the third. This never happened to me earlier as i could listen to it over 10 to fifteen times and still find it enjoyable.

My point is , either  this  just a phase im going through , which prolly many of you have gone through already or  its time for me to give psy a break. Any suggestions  how to keep my interest going  :rolleyes:

644730[/snapback]

Get Dead Can Dance, in case u don't have them, all albums and solo projects are very listenable. When Psy bored me, which doesn't happen often, i listen to metal (black,industrial,trash), so it depends on your attitude towards this black dimension.

There are 2 very nice dj sets by Dj Nukem that you could get for more deep progressive stuff. You could also check out some of the Global Underground stuff, I love it (Not everyone does though, it can be cheesy).

644744[/snapback]

ohhh there's a name i haven't heard for a while

Nick Warren! fab.... :)

646193[/snapback]

Seconded! the Amsterdam and Prague Global Undergrounds of his are great

Anthony Pappa - NU Breed also is excellent. certainly not labeled as psytrance, but very psychedelic none the less...

Oliver Lieb.....mmm...i could go on about this stuff forever. Ask me in 3 weeks when its fresh in my mind after i pack all my vinyl ;)

But my real question is, what kind of psy are you listening to thats making you get bored with an entire musical genre???? Which Artists? Compilations?

644730[/snapback]

I have seen your messages through the years and i think our tastes are not very different. It happened to me as well after i OD on psy and had to take break. I started to work at around that time and things did not flow well -with KDD playing in the background- at 10:30 AM while i'm on my first coffee... so i picked up a lot oldies and good recommendations i had not touched for a while... i rediscovered Zero7 (Simple Things & When it Falls)... simple things i knew and had heard extensively... When it falls took a while to like it, but man... the difference of listening to music made to be enjoyed 1000+ plays plus... i look at the stash of the CD's i own and it's all DJ material... which is a nice excuse to say this stuff does not stand the taste of time too well... very few hooks catch your interest to get you going while still being psychedelic. This got me thinking with a buddie of mine, perhaps some of that crispy melodic footprint was somewhat missing in psy... the twisted kind i mean, god knows it can be found elsewhere... and we started working on v/a - vapour.

Sorry if this sounds like a commercial :rolleyes: but is what sparked my personal interest back in this scene, getting in touch with source(s). So, we pulled out what we had from the bank and started looking for that sound... months of digging and networking and chin rubbing in search of catchy, coherent movements within the twisted scene. This stuff can be found but is not receiving much attention these days, it's all gone dark, 160's and incoherent. Which can work very nicely at some points B) but is not suiting my life and tastes too well right now... i'm not kissing the sky every weekend here nor every month; the small level of sanity i have left, i need to keep for the real world out there, you know? so i took my life one step down from the hard-core-O-meter and things move forward...

I have seen your messages through the years and i think our tastes are not very different. It happened to me as well after i OD on psy and had to take break. I started to work at around that time and things did not flow well -with KDD playing in the background- at 10:30 AM while i'm on my first coffee... so i picked up a lot oldies and good recommendations i had not touched for a while... i rediscovered Zero7 (Simple Things & When it Falls)... simple things i knew and had heard extensively... When it falls took a while to like it, but man... the difference of listening to music made to be enjoyed 1000+ plays plus... i look at the stash of the CD's i own and it's all DJ material... which is a nice excuse to say this stuff does not stand the taste of time too well... very few hooks catch your interest to get you going while still being psychedelic. This got me thinking with a buddie of mine, perhaps some of that crispy melodic footprint was somewhat missing in psy... the twisted kind i mean, god knows it can be found elsewhere... and we started working on v/a - vapour.

Sorry if this sounds like a commercial  :rolleyes:  but is what sparked my personal interest back in this scene, getting in touch with source(s). So, we pulled out what we had from the bank and started looking for that sound... months of digging and networking and chin rubbing in search of catchy, coherent movements within the twisted scene. This stuff can be found but is not receiving much attention these days, it's all gone dark, 160's and incoherent. Which can work very nicely at some points  B)  but is not suiting my life and tastes too well right now... i'm not kissing the sky every weekend here nor every month; the small level of sanity i have left, i need to keep for the real world out there, you know?  so i took my life one step down from the hard-core-O-meter and things move forward...

647344[/snapback]

I've use to really really stepp on the gas when I wanted to enjoy the hardcore stuff *You know what i mean :P * and i would be getting back from class thinking about how im going to go bezzzerk playing that psykovsky track or that ghreg on earth track.. either its the time that doesnt permit me or its not that same anymore , I just dont get that adrenaline to peak ;something that I have come to associate with this style of music . I know i shouldnt be trying so hard but it 's just almost non existant off late . I'll give it that deserved break which has been due for sometime . Will look out for V/a vapour , melodic twisted dark is maybe just what im looking for ;)

But my real question is, what kind of psy are you listening to thats making you get bored with an entire musical genre???? Which Artists? Compilations?

647335[/snapback]

I've been bored with most of the stuff ive been able to get my hands on recently. I'm waiting for the new derango , goe , psykovsky , vibrasphere , ticon , mr peculiar , gow etc etc :rolleyes:

Dig deeper... there is so much music, new and old, that I never find a dull moment... if I get tired of one style I go spend a bit more time with another style I enjoy. I woke up this morning and listened to some ancient tunes from SFX, a couple of those Ozric Tentacles remixes released back in 1999, and this afternoon a new shipment came in... I immediately threw Sensient's new album in, and now I'm on a techno kick with Thomas P. Heckmann, soon enough will load up the new Phatmatix before I head home. I have a set to play this weekend and the question is basically: how much Juno Reactor can I throw in there? Shpongle? Eat Static? Lunaspice? Could I get away with Snake Thing - Blizzard of Ooze? There is just not enough time in the day to process it all! :D

Dig deeper... there is so much music, new and old, that I never find a dull moment... if I get tired of one style I go spend a bit more time with another style I enjoy. I woke up this morning and listened to some ancient tunes from SFX, a couple of those Ozric Tentacles remixes released back in 1999, and this afternoon a new shipment came in... I immediately threw Sensient's new album in, and now I'm on a techno kick with Thomas P. Heckmann, soon enough will load up the new Phatmatix before I head home. I have a set to play this weekend and the question is basically: how much Juno Reactor can I throw in there? Shpongle? Eat Static? Lunaspice? Could I get away with Snake Thing - Blizzard of Ooze? There is just not enough time in the day to process it all! :D

647762[/snapback]

Exactly how I have felt for the last few years as I have really got back into this music :wub: