Mic Preamp

now we finally start with vocals.

i need to buy mic and preamp for less money.

any recommendations?

is behringer still teh shit, or could i buy preamp from berhinger?

schould i get a little better dynamic mic or a cheap condenser mic?

now we finally start with vocals.

i need to buy mic and preamp for less money.

any recommendations?

is behringer still teh shit, or could i buy preamp from berhinger?

schould i get a little better dynamic mic or a cheap condenser  mic?

641824[/snapback]

If you don't need a mic for recording drums (besides as overhead micing) and you are not planning to sing live, I would definately go for a condenser. they sound so much better and the only benefit you get from a dynamic mic is its ability to handle higher spl levels (sound pressure).

There are many to choose from but to give you at least one recommendation, GA Projects mics sound extremely good even they're among the cheapest (this is because they're are a general agent for musical intruments and stuff themselves so they avoid that connection link to keep the costs down). Also check out Blue and Violet designs if you can afford to go a little higher in price.

If you tell how much your price range/ limit is concerning a preamp, I can give you some recommendations there too

thx for your help dude, thx.

as for the preamp, i would like to spend as little as possible, coz i need to buy something really expensive this year... dunno, if the amp is not that great i can always sell it next year and go for something better than.

and we only record lead vocals.

dunno, recommend me some :)

Well I was looking for a mic not long ago - and I checked some models. Rode nt1000, AKG c3000, Audio Technica AT3035. I found out that getting a mic which would satisfy me would be too expensive at the moment so I decided to give up on it until I have some more money and have other things I want.

Depends on your cash you can get a Shure SM58 which is the standard of about everything today and is not too much pricey. The Behringer B1 mic is also good for it's price.

About pre-amps, I wouldn't get a dedicated pre-amp yet if I were you. You can put some money in and get a sound card with pre-amps in it (such as the MOTU UltraLite which I own) or a mixer with pre-amps (as long as it's not Phonic/Behringer/Alto crap).

yeah, the sm58, i thought about buying it, already read reviews and stuff, its dynamic mic though.

anyways, i need preamp, coz i have pretty new soundcard already, and need no mixer (software, midicontroller)

A price range would really be helpful.

A lot of people like the FMR Audio RNP (Really Nice Preamp). I haven't used one, but I don't think I've ever heard a bad thing.

I have an M-Audio DMP3. 2 channels and cheaper than the RNP. The only vocals I've recorded through it were cookie monster vocals, and I don't have particularly good mics, but I don't have any complaints with it other than the small range of the VU meters.

If you're recording vocals (that is, non-screaming vocals), a condenser is most definitely suggested. Studio Projects makes some cheap ones that are well-regarded in their price range. Rode makes some slightly more expensive ones that are also well-regarded. And I think Audio-Technica makes some cheap models, but I don't know how they sound. Their more expensive models are good.

I must disagree with Mike A. A dedicated preamp will usually be superior to one in a cheap audio interface or mixer.

And remember the adage: your sound is only as good as the worst-sounding piece of gear in the chain.

I must disagree with Mike A. A dedicated preamp will usually be superior to one in a cheap audio interface or mixer.

642360[/snapback]

Well, I said that as long as it's a good mixer it's the way to go.

A dedicated pre-amp will not make that much of a difference with a mic like this....

If you're using a 58 to record vocals, it doesn't really matter what kind of preamp you use. It's going to sound like a 58 no matter what. They were designed for live use.

644511[/snapback]

yap, but maybe next year im going for a new mic, so this guys brings amp and mic (he is studio guy) and we make little tests.

:)