Audialize-Starship Earth

Psycosmo

Audialize-Starship Earth

1) Starts of with some Persian or Arabian (I think) style samples, and then drops in a good, stout bassline, punctuated by sharp bursts of electronic riff (really nice ones too) and these lead in the meat and gravy of the track, a heavily distorted, LSD soaked bass melody. Later some mystical sounding atmospheres work their way in, and the bassline begins quivering weirdly. It just gets better and better, and at the end it opens like a flower, and then bounces around like a flower blowing in the wind while those mournful Persian strings come back. What a track to kick off an album with!

2) Starts of with some very smooth, spacy leads, and then starts into some funkier action. Extremely tasteful use if Indian vocals. Later on the track takes on a slightly harder edge, reminiscent of the South African twilight style.

3) Starts with my favorite waking life sample and some epic sounding lead ins and sweet, mournful vocal samples. I love how the chorus has a more atomospheric sweeping part and sharper, more dynamic part. The contrast really works.

4) This one has a really weird, twisted feel. Extremely creative. Solid fullon.

5) Soaring anthem, probably the most normal track on the album, but still very good, the use of anthem like builds and stuff is tasteful and not at all cloying.

6) Starts off with epic sounding chimes. More Waking Life samples. LSD soaked fullon, at moments somewhat reminiscent of Melicas first album, but with strange, slightly haunting, nonstandard ambiences and effects behind it. This track has a very Alice-in-Wonderland kind of feel to it.

7) Starts with some piano riffs that get progressively more distorted before the bassline drops in. Like the other tracks, lots of quirky distorted sounds and massive twilight melodies and atmospheres.

8) Starts off with some sad, mournful sounding melody lead. More psychedelic action, with some nice twists. Has more waking life samples. This is the only track here that I haven’t immediately fallen completely in love with, although it is a good enough track. Time will tell, but considering how fantastic the rest of the album is, I think it’s likely that this track will grow on me.

9) A chill out track. And a good one too. Very subtle, tasteful use of ethnic elements. The ethnic elements are skillfully integrated with, rather than simply layered with the electronic elements, and also these not the same played-out samples we are getting all too used to from a lot of the chillout these days.

Wow, what album.

Truly amazing stuff, for those who say fullon can’t be intelligent, I challenge them to listen to this CD and then tell me that!! So deep, so laden with feeling, so creative, so sonically diverse. Amazing mix of psychedelic sounds, uplifting moments, and moments of creeping darkness. Impeccably produced, rich soundscapes, use of many elements, but everything in place, ever shifting and morphing, but doing so quite seamlessly. I predict that “Starship Earth” will go down in the annals of trance history as among the very best of the best psytrance ever made. I will have to go back and get this guy’s earlier albums, I have a few track and knew I liked his music, but this CD is a total masterpiece. Is all of his stuff this good? Is this Vera Guerreiro part of the live act? Her vocals are probably the best use of vocals in trance that I have ever heard, they are integrated with such skill and subtlety.

As I write this I am sad knowing that my words will never do the listening experience I’ve just had justice. While it remains to be seen how this CD will age, I expect it will be filed alongside Hallucinogen, Artifakt, Pleiadians, Vibrasphere, as the very best of the best of my music collection.

10/10, unspeakably awesome, a likely pick for CD of the year.

• 1 year later...