What is "House" music?

healium

Flowjob- support normality is a good eg of psyhouse. House is less complicated in its entirety as compared to psy , more easy listening , hardly twisted or deep .The use of synth like elements is minimal and more repetative than diverse . Basicly zero acid more amphetamine ;)

Psyhouse, lmfao...

psydarkcoregrindblackmetalbreakcorenujazzambient

I don´t like house at all, way too minimalistic, way too much voicesamples, way too much bad sounding synths and percussion, house sounds really really awful and it isn´t electronic enough by far, i heard some house in bulgaria that played in the swimming polls i and my friends always went and it was bullshit IMO, house is the bottonline of all technogenres, especially the latino house which si the worse of the worst, and it is very ridiculous to compare psychedelic trance with house, almost everyone stated with house or something similar, i for example started with westbam, okay it isn´t exactly house but even westbam and psytrance aren´t compareable at all, the differences are as big as the differences of pop to oldschool psychedelic trance, so no, for my there isn´t any psyhouse.

This topic came up on Psynews... here was my response (slightly edited):

"Psy house" is misleading terminology... as mentioned, most psytrance lacks the required level of funk (Healey/Allen projects excepted, with a nod to pr0fane). This type of music usually falls into the progressive realm... since the psytrance world is so insular and segregated, we often forget that "our" progressive is but one subset of a greater progressive movement, bent on taking established electronic music styles and moving them into the future. This is often in the pursuit of a higher level of sophistication, as leading artists focus on subtlety, minimalism, a cleaner more "mature" aesthetic, and better sound quality using state-of-the-art production techniques. Since the "progressive" approach is fairly widespread, encompassing artists and labels from many distinct EDM genres, the results from these disparate scenes have been increasingly convergent; the distinction between house, trance, and techno blends into irrelevance. Is Minilogue minimal electro, progressive house, or glitchy techno? How about Extrawelt?

The point is, "psy house" has little to do with "house music" as Jack would see it... the term has a certain enduring currency (I've heard this term for years) perhaps because the concept is very easy to relate to, however ill-conceived and erroneous it may be.

Addendum: psychedelic house does exist, but you will need to turn back the clock to find anything that doesn't automatically fall into the realm of "progressive" by virtue of possessing a smoother sound. Consider Snake Thing, Eat Static, and (perhaps) C.O.N. Sequencer, or refer back to the aforementioned Allen & Healey projects such as Quirk or Electric Tease. Blizzard of Ooze is the quintessential psychedelic house track as far as I am concerned, but can you name anything else like it? Modern stuff doesn't get so brash and funky while maintaining the weirdness. I tend to think of the Iboga style as progressive psytrance, while Beckers et al are firmly within the progressive house realm. That's my take on it anyhow.

Lastly, if you're curious about the borderlands where psytrance meets progressive house, check out a mix of mine:

http://www.ektoplazm.com/audio/basilisk-li...t-harvest-2006/

there is a way to distinguish house from trance from other music stuff:

look at the chicks

believe me :)

there is a way to distinguish house from trance from other music stuff:

look at the chicks

believe me :)

639873[/snapback]

House the chicks will be grinding,trance they'll be swaying :P

I don´t get that

639940[/snapback]

:lol:

House the chicks will be grinding,trance they'll be swaying  :P

639913[/snapback]

heh ... I didn't mean it this way

I meant the way chicks are dressed. Overall dress trend in clubs that play house music is more "elegant" - although "elegant" isn't the right word ... but I mean that on house gigs there is the tendency that chicks are more dressed up, you know ... and actually not only the chicks, but the male audience too - ... I mean, one can't generalze everything like that, I know, but the overall trend is certainly visible. House style is rather dressed up, Trance/Techno style is rather chav and Psy style is rather hippie. Exceptions everywhere of course - and of course this should in no way be a generalisation ;):)

House used to be good & in the late 80s, early nineties was my genre of choice. It used to be a little more breakbeat but changed into a plodding 4-4.

Nowadays I find that house music is like trance music but without any entrancing elements. It's just music, not an experience IMO. I can't get lost in it.

And Hard House....

Posted Image