Mixtapes...

NEMO.BOFH

Well, so I bought myself a casette recorder yesterday, one of the reasons why I bought it, is because I want to experiment with taping some of my electro tracks to tape, and then record them back to the computer (to get a dirty effect), but the other reason being, I want to start taping MIXTAPES again. Old goa, electro, psy whatever, just old Mixtapes....

Did you have Mixtapes(especially old goa/psy)? Do you still have some of them? Would you buy a mixtape online if you still could? I know I would, they are sooooo cool!

Discuss!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have some mixtapes of mine made in 1999 when i was really playing madness 150 bpm pure goa ;).. that was when i was kinda enlightened ahah but true you are right they sound cool and different, nice idea to record from and then back.. less digital sounding for sure.. nice idea!

I do have some mixtapes of mine made in 1999 when i was really playing madness 150 bpm pure goa ;).. that was when i was kinda enlightened ahah but true you are right they sound cool and different, nice idea to record from and then back.. less digital sounding for sure.. nice idea!

639708[/snapback]

I have been reading about it in SOS, and it sounds like a cool effect yeah. :)

What I think is really a pitty though, is that you dont get the mixtapes anymore, I mean... are tehre even people that OWN a casette recorder? :)

i still have a few mixtapes, and i still listen to them! they are from 1995 - 1998 and they really mean something to me! i also have a cool double-deck cassette recorder with which i used to duplicate the tapes for my friends in order to infect them too ;) until 2002 i also used tapes to record radio airings, but then i bought an md. i would still buy decent mixtapes today...but only goa stuff!

i was inspired by ott who told in an interview that he sometimes records drumhits to tape, then plays the tape and digitally records it. i used this too once when i made some real dirty hiphop beats for a friend to rap along.

nemo, i'll fucking buy your tapes :D

i still have a few mixtapes, and i still listen to them! they are from 1995 - 1998 and they really mean something to me! i also have a cool double-deck cassette recorder with which i used to duplicate the tapes for my friends in order to infect them too ;) until 2002 i also used tapes to record radio airings, but then i bought an md. i would still buy decent mixtapes today...but only goa stuff!

i was inspired by ott who told in an interview that he sometimes records drumhits to tape, then plays the tape and digitally records it. i used this too once when i made some real dirty hiphop beats for a friend to rap along.

nemo, i'll fucking buy your tapes :D

639743[/snapback]

Cool!!! :) I was thinking to take around 3 dollars per tape, or something, its one dollar or more for a high quality tape, and then post and package should be around 1 or 2 dollars as well, depending where you send them too, of course :)

Ill let yall know when the first one is done :)

Cool!!! :) I was thinking to take around 3 dollars per tape, or something, its one dollar or more for a high quality tape, and then post and package should be around 1 or 2 dollars as well, depending where you send them too, of course :)

Ill let yall know when the first one is done :)

639747[/snapback]

Like an analogue version of allofmp3.com? :lol:

i just thought about this stuff a bit, and got to the conclusion that i rather love all this old stuff. when i'm extremely bored, i sometimes play super mario bros on the old nintendo entertainment system, this grey box with cartridges almost as big as a vhs tape :lol: i also love to play dad's old 26 centimetres tapes on the revox.

old record carriers were just a lot more stylish than nowadays cd's or, even worse, lame mp3 sticks so tiny that you can wear them as jewellery. pfffff!

:lol:

no, its soooo 1994, but thats prolly before your time ;):D  :ph34r:

639729[/snapback]

Nope. Not before my time. In 1986 I was making mixtapes for the chicks. That was the old cliche method of getting to the girl, make her a mixtape.

Showing my age here.

Nope. Not before my time. In 1986 I was making mixtapes for the chicks. That was the old cliche method of getting to the girl, make her a mixtape.

Showing my age here.

639759[/snapback]

Haha, you are older than me... OLD MAN!! ;):lol:

hehe i just got myself the old 8 bit nintendo as well.. hitech!

to stay on topic:

for sampling purposes i understand. for nostalgia i understand. But any other reason: fuck it.

There is digital effects now to get the same effect as the old audio equipment or you could set your sampler back to 8 bit. using an tapedeck seems like alot of unnecesarry work.

Threw away all the old tapes the other day.. only kept one from a befriended artist to show him when he is a famous musician :lol:

hehe i just got myself the old 8 bit nintendo as well.. hitech!

to stay on topic:

for sampling purposes i understand. for nostalgia i understand. But any other reason: fuck it.

There is digital effects now to get the same effect as the old audio equipment or you could set your sampler back to 8 bit. using an tapedeck seems like alot of unnecesarry work.

Threw away all the old tapes the other day.. only kept one from a befriended artist to show him when he is a famous musician  :lol:

639791[/snapback]

Ummm im calling shits on you, the people that I read using this technology is people like Peter Gabriel etc etc... its a SOUND that you want to create, a FEELING....

There are just SOME things that you CAN NO re-create digitally.... warmth and love are 2 of them ;)

I've lots of tapes, recorded from a radio station that was playing goa-psy every weekend for 2 hours in the afternoons! That was in 1994....

I also have Hallucinogen's twisted on tape! Nemo you reminded me to take a look in my tapes now! I'm sure i have lots of good stuff there!

Memories!

:)

Ps....No i wouldn't buy a cassete online now. Yes i still have a tape recorder at home, working only as radios though!

Well, so I bought myself a casette recorder yesterday, one of the reasons why I bought it, is because I want to experiment with taping some of my electro tracks to tape, and then record them back to the computer (to get a dirty effect), but the other reason being, I want to start taping MIXTAPES again. Old goa, electro, psy whatever, just old Mixtapes....

Did you have Mixtapes(especially old goa/psy)? Do you still have some of them? Would you buy a mixtape online if you still could? I know I would, they are sooooo cool!

Discuss!

639686[/snapback]

A "dirty" effect is very easy to create with various effects over a mixer in a musicprogram, you just load the tracks and add the "dirty" effect with some compressors and other stuff, i don´t know if it is possible with compressors but it for sure is possible with all in one mastering packs and maximizers, you can easily get a "dirty" effect by setting the treshold to a wrong value, but i don´t know if you have expensive software with which you can do taht like me.

I've lots of tapes, recorded from a radio station that was playing goa-psy every weekend for 2 hours in the afternoons! That was in 1994....

I also have Hallucinogen's twisted on tape! Nemo you reminded me to take a look in my tapes now! I'm sure i have lots of good stuff there!

Memories!

:)

Ps....No i wouldn't buy a cassete online now. Yes i still have a tape recorder at home, working only as radios though!

639825[/snapback]

My dream would be a local radiostation that plays only oldschool/newschool goa and psychedelic ambient 24/7, i am pretty sure that if there would be one in bulgaria more and more people would listen to it and like the music.

A "dirty" effect is very easy to create with various effects over  a mixer in a musicprogram, you just load the tracks and add the "dirty" effect with some compressors and other stuff, i don´t know if it is possible with compressors but it for sure is possible with all in one mastering packs and maximizers, you can easily get a "dirty" effect by setting the treshold to a wrong value, but i don´t know if you have expensive software with which you can do taht like me.

639864[/snapback]

Sure it's easy to make a "dirty" effect i a lot of ways, but not the way a tapedeck does. Makers of expensive plug-ins (or at least Universal Audio) are trying hard to replicate that sound digitally, but none have yet done that fully satisfying. At least not when it comes to tape-delay

Sure it's easy to make a "dirty" effect i a lot of ways, but not the way a tapedeck does. Makers of expensive plug-ins (or at least Universal Audio) are trying hard to replicate that sound digitally, but none have yet done that fully satisfying. At least not when it comes to tape-delay

639898[/snapback]

I find waves plugins very good in General and use them, they are apsolutely amazing for mastering songs and with them i am able to recreate a similar noicse to the sound of cassettes but i first must know how it sounds exaclty, then i can recreate it easily. It sure won´t sound 100% like copying from cassette but it would not sound bad.

Showing my age here.

639759[/snapback]

Hey i made mix cds for a girl. Didn't work though :huh:

There are just SOME things that you CAN NO re-create digitally.... warmth and love are 2 of them ;)

639800[/snapback]

BS, love is digital. B)

Showing my age here.

I probably will try it, i doubt it will work, it should be that easy

A "dirty" effect is very easy to create with various effects over  a mixer in a musicprogram, you just load the tracks and add the "dirty" effect with some compressors and other stuff, i don´t know if it is possible with compressors but it for sure is possible with all in one mastering packs and maximizers, you can easily get a "dirty" effect by setting the treshold to a wrong value, but i don´t know if you have expensive software with which you can do taht like me.

639864[/snapback]

It's hard to create an effect exactly like tape distortion. And I guess Nemo has some expensive software and hardware much much more than you do being a music producer, so don't start boasting with you're warez software.

I would buy a mixtape any time if I could - if it was a good one.

And not only mixtapes ... I also still buy real albums on cassette tapes (legally released ones, not illegal copies!). Last week I found Front Line Assembly - Monument cassette tape (still sealed) for 4,50 Euro...