Complaints about Moderation.

NEMO.BOFH

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now seriously. Stop the attitude. You can't throw *shit* out, just as little as they can throw you out with insults.

There are *millions* of proxies.

643676[/snapback]

yeah ok, I need to quit my attitude, how about you (as in all that are on a anti nemo rant) just back off and talk about music... OR cougars, or whatever pleases you.... the forum is going to be a better place then, I think!

Besides that, I am not going to post in Off Topic anymore, as I want to see it closed down forever, it has become just as bad as Freestyle.

Psynews has become more of a warning game than a nice place to come and hang out at. Waddup ?

643679[/snapback]

Its not like I enjoy giving warnings, but some people just need to know when to stop it... and obviously Charlie da man, can not let it go, and has to insult me again. The warnings will stop when the insulting stops. This is my last post in this thread for now, thats a promise.

Its not like I enjoy giving warnings, but some people just need to know when to stop it... and obviously Charlie da man, can not let it go, and has to insult me again. The warnings will stop when the insulting stops. This is my last post in this thread for now, thats a promise.

643684[/snapback]

If you close down off-topic 75% of members will stop logging in.

643685[/snapback]

I got nothing more to add. :P The music discussion here is starved and sick, and you KNOW the only reason PN ever grew was the Offtopic.

coming guys, this is useless, I see no points proven, and... I see two camps fighting eachother, this is not the right attitude for sure, if you can't stand eachother... Ignore mode ON, simple as that, this topic would be too dumb to have someone banned right?

coming guys, this is useless, I see no points proven, and... I see two camps fighting eachother, this is not the right attitude for sure, if you can't stand eachother... Ignore mode ON, simple as that, this topic would be too dumb to have someone banned right?

643693[/snapback]

Sadly as an admin you can not ignore someone :(

And Reger, want me to give you another warning

Like I said before to you in this very same thread, no moderation is no psynews, and if that is what you want, tell me, and we can arrange something.

want another one for calling me a fool?

so whats it going to be, another warning or are you going to continue?!

you are threatening people with warnings and think they will back down? way to go...

I feel you should resign from your position as moderator, nemo. You're no good at it.

+1

<RADIating> ' Hey Nemo, reger has just insulted me, can I please report his bad attitude ? ' <RADIating>

643370[/snapback]

"shine" on B)

<- i got pair of sunglasses, so your radiation cant do shit to me :D

Well, you are mod and a friend, so let's ban the ph@cker.  :ph34r:  :D

643392[/snapback]

Hey, don`t call me you suckre, you don`t think that i don`t know what packer mean`s, you call my ass hole!

Amazing. You guys generate more drama than all the reality tv-show girls with PMS in the world combined.

So what if you get a fucking warning, you still need more to get banned. And if you get banned, does your life change? If so, consider getting new hobbies now.

Also, getting a new account here after being banned isn't very hard, now is it? :)

643568[/snapback]

yes it does, you cant even imagine for how much better it will become :D

srsly :lol:

Yup, the fool warned me again. It's at 33% now.  :rolleyes:

643670[/snapback]

wow, can i call you sir or baba from now on, youve achieved what no man could ever before :D!

yeah ok, I need to quit my attitude, how about you (as in all that are on a anti nemo rant) just back off and talk about music... OR cougars, or whatever pleases you.... the forum is going to be a better place then, I think!

Besides that, I am not going to post in Off Topic anymore, as I want to see it closed down forever, it has become just as bad as Freestyle.

643682[/snapback]

listen, not that i dont like off topic or something, but its not even close to be as good as freestyle used to be when it was still open :D!

643693[/snapback]

:)

I think the whole moderation deal is wrong from the start of it.. (and I dont mean that it shouldnt exist at all.. but not in the way it is today)

now let me see if I can express myself properly why..

I think it starts with your look.. with how you browse the forum, what´s your initial attitude

It seems to me that, instead of looking at a forum as a dynamic talk medium, which has creative possibilities, it seems you are all looking at it by it´s ´possibility of going wrong´

so what happens? you look at words with a little ´energy´ on the back of your minds that is always looking for problems, for what goes out of your idea of order...

now what is the problem with that? The problem is that it is... hmmmm.. hard to describe... maybe I could define it as a ´neurotic trap´ (not trying to be offensive.. I really think it´s a good definition)

let me try to explain more about it. Say, for example, when a person at some point of their life had a trauma, like their father embarassed them greatly by being drunk in public when they were kids. (im making a very charicatural example, bare with me) So this kid might later become very rigid and controlling person, as a flawed attempt to compensate for the lack of control at some other point of life.. This is a trap, because the person ends up not only controlling and diminishing the dangers, but also the pleasures and advantages

I think a similar think happens here. You guys are going to an extreme, that cuts down on something that is the key of psynews, which is the randomness, the creativeness, the freedom...

Instead of enjoying, talking as normal people, many times you guys immediately dress the ´moderator´ robe to complain

Its incredible how it seems, at least to me, that you guys dont ever question yourselves how comes psynews was so great ´back in the days´ and it didnt have moderation?

I have an exercise for you guys... Look at the threads from those days please... and think honestly about how many of them you would be moderating, if it were today..

I have a strong feeling that many of them would be moderated by you guys... but imagine that.. thanks god it was how it was, back then, or else I probably wouldnt have stayed enough to have met tashira.. It was great, and I doubt anyone today who was active then will disagree...

the only time I remember something like banning was in the bruce case of course, but only on his later times...

Take, for example, topic locking.. It´s so annoying, I dont know how you cant see.. It totally cuts down on the possibility of further creation.. It´s like "ok thats it, it ends here, because I dont like it, so I dont allow you guys to continue"

As for this, I think you must consider the ´offtopicness´ of off topic.. Take any long thread from a couple of years ago.. You will see how much they change.. some become pure genious, after a few pages... some not, of course..

Let me give 5 examples of bad moderations imo..

1 - The way moni acts sometimes, putting the red text and all that

why? because it seems there is a need to show her moderating status, because it unnecessarily threatens people using this status in the style "if this doesnt go what I want, you know what I´ll do", instead of just being like "hey, dont you think maybe this is not nice for such and such reason?", like any normal person would..

I think that creates unnecessary tension. The solution could come from a horizontal approach, from honest talk from person to person, as opposed to the vertical orders that only create resentment, struggle, and end up with useless and damaging purpouseful rebellion (i.e. more random topics)

Being honest, I think in moni´s case it is even more reinforced because guys here are horny bastards (no offense), so this makes it even less likely that they go against a girl, like moni, for example.. Without the negative feedback, behavior increases..

2 - Nemo moving reznik´s topic

I know this wasnt a consciously negative thing, nemo, dont worry, and you even appologized (I think).. BUT, it shows what I meant with the ´initial attitude´. Instead of, for example, changing something because it needed to be changed functionally when it is seen, it seems you came with the idea that something had to be changed in the first place, therefore filtering topics that in your mind should be changed... So, instead of doing something for the need, you did something for the necessity of topics to fit your own model

3 - Tatsu merging freestyle topics

That was simply chaotic and unnecessary.. Many things to be asked and said about this, but im in the middle of a class here and this post already became too long... But one question for now: If you are ´allowing´ freestyle in one thread (which would clog up the initial page of offtopic since it would always be on top), why not simply opening up again the freestyle thread, which will clean things up naturally?

4 - Pavel and Cinos bannings

Firstly, the time... 1 month, 1 year, whatever ... ?! I mean.. think about it.. Just because the way they talk and act is different from what you guys think.. Yes they may have been confrontful or controversial, but isnt that whats so great about them? Think about it a bit more objectively, if possible.. Are they people who are systematically trying to mine the forum, go against the rules on purpouse, try to disrupt the general well being and the place would be better off without them ? If the answer isnt yes (and for me it obviously isnt), then it was a big mistake... Only if the answer is yes, then I think banning should be considered (bruce and jacob were the only ones who ever, imo, deserved such banning, and only in their later phases)

5 - over use of warn function

This warn function has been popularized lately.. But there are many problems associated with it.. Now instead of only moderators going with the ´initial attitude´ that looks for problems, this passes on to the users... Like foucault´s microphysics of power, where the citizen watches each other, so the same happens here in the forum, reinforced by these ´tools´... It creates a division, a space, a distance, between users... Like cars in a traffic jam, this reflects the attitude of each one being wrapped in a ´cocoon´ while using some instruments (like the honk or car lights) to communicate with the outside world.. But have you noticed that with cars, if you want to make a turn, people will noticeably be more friendly and let you turn if you look at them and/or put your hand out the window pointing, than if you have your window closed and just use those blinking turning lights?

Of course Im charicaturizing this a bit, but to show the point better.. With the warning function, instead of people talking to themselves, solving the problems directly, they distance themselves and use the ´moderating power´ to force their ideas...

its not a problem in itself, but its being overused and I think something should be done about it..

So what do I suggest in the end? I think maybe you all understood already

stop banning unnecessarily

talk to people as people, and not through the moderating role

use moderating skills IN THE LAST CASE, ONLY IF TOTALLY NECESSARY

open the freestyle section

stop being so strict, and locking topics.. let more space for conflicts and resolution of conflicts (unless it passes an obvious line) .. its important in life just like here..

etc

I sincerely hope you guys dont immediately think that ´oh, once again, he is blindly complaining about moderation, lets ignore him´.. I really try to be reasonable and calm, and not just complain for the sake of it

I am sure you guys are very nice people, make no mistake... but I dont appreciate certain roles that are played, and I honestly think the forum would be better without it (but still with you of course)

I hope you guys think about what I said, and maybe it changes just a tiny little bit your attitude.. that would be great...

have a good weekend

Good post sherlock, but - although I'm not one of the old users here - I tend to disagree somewhat. Your analysis seems to be quite accurate, but I think you are forgetting one thing. And that's the same thing that everybody is forgetting (and yes, I'm defending the mods here, don't ask me why)...

And that thing is: this is still someone's forum. And that person is mars, supposedly, and well, since he wants to cut down on crap, who are we to argue? Since the alternative is shutting down the whole website.

Personally I feel that since Nemo took over he's trying to make a point, that point being that they're gonna be stricter from now on. If the mods want less flaming and less spamming, so be it. Hell, I wouldn't mind, the interesting offtopic posts always disappear to the background because of one stupid topic and then everybody copying the more or less same topictitle and then you have parodies and satires and variations on the theme and whatnot... All great, but if they want to cut down on that and on flaming, you can't really argue against it. Their will ís law...

I do reckon that moderators are very reasonable (typing in red has nothing to do with it. . If anything, it makes clear if she's speaking from a moderator's point of view instead of from a personal one) but when everybody keeps discussing every single thing they do... well, they're doing it out of love for this website as well, right? They're your friends man, they're not like the others... :)

Anyhoo: psynews is not all that for me as it seems to be to other people, but somehow I get dragged into this discussion, just because a lot of old users seem to be dogmatically conservative about moderation. None and not at all, because fuck the system maaaaan. Fight the power!

And as I said some place else, I think nemo's just trying to get people to understand what he wants to change; if you don't like it, leave. If you comply, then welcome aboard and have a good time! Seriously though, I doubt psynews is gonna be horrible after this, maybe there's just gonna be less of these same old same old random topics and I for one am happy about that. :)

Just my two rupees..

this is still someone's forum. And that person is mars, supposedly, and well, since he wants to cut down on crap, who are we to argue?

mars isnt even active here, so why should he be bothered? why not open freestyle again, is it taking too much space on the server?

of course its his right to decide but is it reasonable?

mars isnt even active here, so why should he be bothered? why not open freestyle again, is it taking too much space on the server?

of course its his right to decide but is it reasonable?

645590[/snapback]

Yes, but my point was that this is besides the point. See him as the dictator of this tiny psynews nation. You can argue, but he's got just a little bit more power than you (than anyone here) and he has the power to cut the whole nation off lifesupport, unless you follow his rules.

The only option would be to discuss it directly with him, but as far as I can tell it's not gonna be of much use.

great post sherlock , and I still see no reply from the mods...

645565[/snapback]

just saw it, im not online 24/7 you know ;) Anyways, will respond later.... dont have time for online activities today. Have a nice one :)