01. Antonio Testa - Lumumba

02. Ochre - Esign

03. Electrypnose - Juste Pour Toi

04. Gaudi - Rain In Dub

05. Dublicate - Peace (Fresh Version)

06. Gel Sol - Cool Sweet Awesome Yay!

07. Nalepa - Pomme Granite Dub

08. Monolake - Digitalis

09. RaNDom - Hybrid (Tokyo Elite Version)

10. edIT - Laundry

11. EOX - Aeon

12. Adron - Klo

Celestial dragon is feeling exuberant this time around with the self-dignified Future Sound Theory. For those of us still living in the present, a jumbled ride of down beat proposals awaits; carrying through a loose ride in between IDM sketchers, a Marley-sized dose of electronic dub, without forgetting the psychedelic chill out. This last bit stems from organic touches -with the likes of Antonio Testa- all the way to Mr. Electrypnose. Matt.b was careful enough not mix the shindig far enough, as to render the material unusable for those looking to spin it themselves... Especially since the end-bits seem to slide just deep enough to connect into a headphone adventure, or an unattended sound score for the ideal smoking session with guests.

Antonio Testa drops by a nice little percussive moment and a bit of chanting without drifting to a hindu-cliché (may Shiva forgive me). Deep, sustained gating, in an out as if to signal a shamanic moment without actually conveying the presence of a guiding entity.

If you have ever made your rounds by Bleep.com, Ochre might sound familiar. Esign is a sweet melodic contraption rising high with structured notes, slipping in each other’s shoes up the stream. Alas a bit too short to actually enjoy it properly with a three minute mark. If your thirst for more was not nearly quenched like mine, I suggest you look for Chris’ latest album Lemodie.

Juste Pour Toi is as close as we’ll ever get to ballad with Vins, and that’s just not saying much. If his latest downbeat “Subliminal Melancholies” was of any interest, this will sweeten the deal for you. Misery leads, floating sounds and a slight treatment of glitch underneath as a well polished sound signature.

I’ve heard great things about Gaudi in the past but never had an opportunity to experience it myself. This was clearly a mistake. Dub markings in the form of bass, nice drumming bits and this semi-African chanting delayed (or the idea of thereof), hinting towards slight head-wobbliness.

Dubplicate continues on the Jah-mon vibe nicely, as yet another psychedelic fusion of down-beat that at times might even remind of OTT. Peace in it’s fresh version sounds like an evolved tune that has passed through several revisions to reach this point and the efforts paid off. It’s effortlessly intricate, pouring sonic-candy of nonsense in between well polished guitar bits and harmonic accompaniments.

Gel So is Andrew Jhon Reichel, normally featured in Em:t Records like is the case with Cool Sweet Yay! Which sounds to me like a less sophisticated Boards of Canada -a bit more straightforward- missing that iconic sense ambience the two Scotts manage to conjure so well. I mention them here specifically for the arrangement of elements, general intonation and even the use vocals counting children with other silly samples. These spring to mind classics like “Aquarious” yet not at the same level. At the end though, it just sounds slightly overused in my head without actually being a bad track.

Nalepa shifts the mood with more deep and assertive drum smacks, sitting well on my end of the pond. In between we have distortion bits and the haunting line which always seems to bring a smile. Pomme Granite Dub is well executed, even if it has trouble partying from the main movement to introduce new shifts.

Monolake has that retro IDM sound to it that could be placed well in say, Aphex Twin’s first installment of selected ambient works. Digitalis carries that old-school artistry galore. If you are expecting nuovo effects and flashy, dashing sounds you won’t find them here though.

RaNDom is none other than Matt.b himself accompanied by Ian Hartley. Their offering Hybrid (Tokyo Elite Version) is exactly that: a slightly simplistic form of dub, spliced with a funky touch of IDM to really set the mood of this compilation properly. In short that is the theme, a successful hybrid of sounds in a single serving. And it’s complex enough at that, but personally not a standout.

EdIT I’m not familiar with, but Laundry is an instant classic. You might so think so as well if Autechre’s Tri Repetae and especially “Leterel” rings a few bells (more than others). Fractured, compulsive rhythms that still manage to make sense amidst all the chaos found inside. The beauty of imperfection, a dying machine rumbling and guzzling enchanted tones. Truly inspiring work with more twist and turns as to have complexity junkies wallowing in glee.

Eox slows down the pace a bit with Aeon to nearly uninspired depths. It’s just a numb daze with effects and quasi-beats that don’t seem to carry us anywhere. For the ones that know, it feels and sounds a lot like K hole… a vacuous exercise in nothingness that slowly builds onto something from the depths of confusion. Call it experimental visions if you will.

Adron closes the book with KLÓ , ending in proper IDM fashion. Overly quiet and chilled, droning to near silence in the simplicity of arrangement. I consider this one bedside material to pass out and quite classy at that.

I don’t know how much future this one conveys, but is definitely an interesting release in the sea of pre-formatted psychedelic releases even in down-beat, which will probably gain some attention from different crowds. The pace of the ride is very well crafted, even if the mastering is not all I could have hoped for in every chapter. Still worth listen if you like to adventure outside the realm of 604 and by all means you should at some point…

At long last a refreshing release that breaks the psychill conformity! Infused with IDM elements (and yes, Edit - Laundry is a great track!) but keeping its dubby and atmospheric colors. Celestial Dragon hits the spot with this one, the most interesting compilation I've heard in a long while.

• 1 month later...

Too bad this didn't get more attention here. There are some very well done downtempo songs on it and I've been enjoying Electrypnose' work very much throughout 2006.

I often overlook comps because there are so many of them. Most of them suck. I generally learn about the best ones on here at the end of the year, on the "BEST OF THE YEAR" thread.

Some people may be put off by the more progressive, slow/chill ambient while some will find some stuff interesting here. Several I like.. several bore me but maybe I'm in the wrong state or something. I can't review it coz I've only heard the saiko sounds samples.

I like Electrypnose's Juste Pour Toi, track 3. He's doing well lately with that fantasy/chill downtempo stuff. He's gotta watch those chimes however not to put them into too many songs or it will start to become redundant and less special and shiney to the ears and mind. It sure works tho.. for now. I'm not buying the comp for this song but I like it very much.

Samples... http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=6018

This is a great comp and it does'nt sound like any other Celestial Dragon release (I have heard anyway) very inorganic at times but made really well, so thats a good thing :)

I think its compiled very well, with a focus of the journey through the different aspects and atmospheres fof the music! From more organic tracks with melodies to the dubby to the more "minimalistic" and then to a more glitcy electronica sound. The dubby tracks r great, really like Dublicate's and Nalepa's take on it! Of the last tracks I really love edIT - Laudry almost sounds like Aphex Twin with a softer than normal touch, beautiful track!

This was money really well spend! and Im a poor man speaking so that means a lot ;)

This is definitely the WORST ambient comp of 2006.

There are only two great tracks here.

The first one is the Ochre track which is simply great, atmospheric, beatless and very relaxing and yes experimental.

The second one is the Electrypnose track that combines classic ambient patterns with darker melodies and a gothic touch.

Unfortunately the rest of the comp is ranged from mediocre to bad. The Gel-Sol track is good but nothing special but the rest... <_<

If you like dub or IDM maybe you should check it out but all I here is artists trying to make complicated beats and sophisticated drumming over boring basses. It's experimental? yes! It's different? yes! But that means is good? No!

Ambient is mostly about emotions and most of tracks here lack of emotions. Actually some tracks have so annoying drumming that can't stand them.

Especially the Nalepa track must be one of the worst tracks ever listened in my entire life of any music kind!

I think Celestial Dragon must stick to the style of its previous release ''Portal Of Perception'', that was true ambient.

Overall 4/10

10/10 for the Ochre track

9/10 for Vin's track.

The worst ambient comp of the year with 2 tracks you rated 9+ out of 10.

Wow there must have been hundreds & hundreds of comps worth buying then!

I find this to be a mood album.

Didn't like it at first but have found it very pleasing on certain occasions.