Psy Chill Sucks

Goa Bill

Guest The Journey Man Project

I love psy chill... forexampe Androcell's last album was an amazing piece of work... better than any Shpongle crapola... I love Dakini and Soninc Tutrle for the best tribal ehtnice dub ambient styles... the 2D Vision Relax series was really good as well... recetly onle two labels have been doin much for me:

Chill Tribe and Databloem...

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: i hear that men are better?! :o

Well they know first hand what feels good! So if they enjoy doing it I'm sure they could be better.

Who did you hear that from anyway?

Im not up to date with all the terms and whats actually what so forgive me if Im wrong.

beatport.com - I was looking at Hydraglyph and the track "shade" is labeled psy-chill (or something similar). The sample they have on beatport, is that actually psychill or some form of it and more importantly, tht 2 minute track is so evil sounding! Is there any artists/CDs out with tracks like that?

So, what are the developments then? The only album that came out 'recently' which I really appreciated was VA - Downbeat Liquid vol. 1

Besides that one, I've even stopped looking in that direction... I guess someone'll let me know when something worthwhile comes out again. I'm not being cynical, but just a little bit allergic to psybient or psychill or whatever. I'm on Nick's side that the true innovation lies in the idm-scene. And yeah, screw that name, it's just as sucky as psychill is. But people generally tend to understand what you mean by it, so I keep using it. Or, instead, I De-Am Bient.

Wha'eva.

Oh my God, I just realised I have nothing sensible to add. Nevermind, ignore me from now on. ;)

My views on the matter are as follows:

(1) First of all I think Trentmoller is vastly over-rated. Frankly, I do not understand what the fuss is all about.

(2) Isan and Schnauss are not that great either (Isan better than Schnauss). Although I confess to having purchased their albums in the past and still consider Isan's Lucky Cat to be a very nice release. It is not a bad label, but a lot of the Morr Music releases can be a bit iffy (although there are some fine ones as well...).

(3) I bloody hate the term "IDM". Particularly when it is used to describe stuff like the above artists.

(4) I, too, think that a lot of the Psy chill stuff is glorified muzak. And, yes it is the Entheogenic, Schulman style generic stuff which really gets my goat.

This is not to say that there are not plenty of interesting psy chill tracks - there are, and I will happily concede as much. However, a lot of tracks should simply not be released. Of course, I do appreciate that this is an accusation that can also be levelled at 'regular' psy trance as well (e.g. the full-on, or the dark psy).

I do not believe that saying "psy-chill sucks" is necessarily being unconstructively negative. Rather, I feel it can also be taken as a pointed lamentation which perhaps some might treat as a exhortation to improve quality in the genre (ignoring the matter of how ill-defined the "genre" is), . Hopefully, it will also encourage us to seek out the better releases and share the information with others in wonderful sites such as this one.

In its defense, it can be said that while a lot of the psy chill is clearly an unambitious and less challenging form of music, it nevertheless can still achieve its aim - to provide some relaxing music. In this context, much of psy chill does 'work'. Perhaps, this is destiny (in some cases, the overt aim) of much of the psy chill body of music.

Finally, I do want to make it quite clear that I do buy psy-chill here and there.

Pedro

Perdro make more sense in 1 post than others make in hundreds. -_-

I'm on Nick's side that the true innovation lies in the idm-scene. And yeah, screw that name, it's just as sucky as psychill is. But people generally tend to understand what you mean by it, so I keep using it. Or, instead, I De-Am Bient.

yea IDM is equally uncreative at this point. Bluetech is still great psychill wise IMO, i will buy his next album without question but i think thats just because hes a serious musician. I think this is just how genres go after a time. You have the early innovators, then a bunch of a copy cats and then maybe you get a really good musician who can do fresh stuff but overall it gets stale. "Breakcore" is really where its at but thats getting a bit old now.

check out anything on sublight, they have really been putting out the innovative stuff the last few years

www.sublightrecords.com

So have you checked any of GALAXY - ANGEL, DOWNHILL - SILENT CITY , ELECTRYPNOSE - SUBLIMINAL MELANCHOLIES yet?

No sorry I still have so much to listen to.... I did listen Galaxy - Science of Ecstacy once and really liked it :)

Another exception is : ELECTRYPNOSE - SUBLIMINAL MELANCHOLIES

although released on psy label far, far away from 'psychill' , more like chill/ambient with IDM influences

It is not released on a psylabel but on Ajana Records, a label dedicated to chill out and ambient music. :P

• 3 months later...

very interesting comments on the thread (except a couple recurring digressions). Thanks for the recommendations, I had some already that overlooked, and others I never heard of.

So far my favorite, of what is called psy chill within this thread is stuff like Kumba Mela Experiment, more recent stuff like Master Margherita, and the usuals OTT SHpongle, etc..

I agree that many times people release something based on another previous success of another person. However if we didn't stand on the shoulders of giants we would need to be giants ourselves to see far ahead. Hell as much as I hate to admit, when describing a genre I usually name the same artists almost everytime (these are the giants)

however...piggybacking on giants to get some cash or anything lowlevel like that is completely different!

about IDM (hate the name too) there is some real SHITTY stuff that just because it sounds like nothing else DOES NOT mean its any good :angry:

dont confuse being DIFFERENT with being UNIQUE ;)

very interesting comments on the thread (except a couple recurring digressions). Thanks for the recommendations, I had some already that overlooked, and others I never heard of.

So far my favorite, of what is called psy chill within this thread is stuff like Kumba Mela Experiment, more recent stuff like Master Margherita, and the usuals OTT SHpongle, etc..

I agree that many times people release something based on another previous success of another person. However if we didn't stand on the shoulders of giants we would need to be giants ourselves to see far ahead. Hell as much as I hate to admit, when describing a genre I usually name the same artists almost everytime (these are the giants)

however...piggybacking on giants to get some cash or anything lowlevel like that is completely different!

about IDM (hate the name too) there is some real SHITTY stuff that just because it sounds like nothing else DOES NOT mean its any good :angry:

dont confuse being DIFFERENT with being UNIQUE ;)

+0.9999..... :P

Different doesn't mean good but it's good to be different ;)